PDA

View Full Version : How do you like the Ubuntu UI?

pi.boy.travis
January 24th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I think it is awesome that Mark Shuttleworth is aiming to make Ubuntu "out pretty Apple."

Mohamedzv2
January 24th, 2009, 05:23 PM
imo, without tweaking or eyecandy, it looks better than XP, but worse than Vista. You put on some themes, widgets, metacity, and it can be better than Mac OS but you know, it depends on what you like.

pi.boy.travis
January 24th, 2009, 05:29 PM
imo, without tweaking or eyecandy, it looks better than XP, but worse than Vista. You put on some themes, widgets, metacity, and it can be better than Mac OS but you know, it depends on what you like.

Lets see Mac OS X do this!

Twitch6000
January 24th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I am sorry,but stop the freaking fanboyism....

Ubuntu is ugly by default and uhmmm trying to find a good theme is like trying to find a needle in a hey stack...

You wanna know why?? Everyone keeps making windows look a like themes or mac look a like themes....

Sheesh people be original...

The only two Distros I have seen be nice looking by default(or with a bit of tweaking) are Linux Mint and Open Suse 11.

Edit: Oh yeah sure we have compiz,but whats so good about it when it can be very buggy at times and make other things slow... I rather wait for Compiz++ or use KWIN...

Mohamedzv2
January 24th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Isn't that with beryl or compiz fusion?
I'm talking about strictly the default

pi.boy.travis
January 24th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I am sorry,but stop the freaking fanboyism....

Ubuntu is ugly by default and uhmmm trying to find a good theme is like trying to find a needle in a hey stack...

You wanna know why?? Everyone keeps making windows look a like themes or mac look a like themes....

Sheesh people be original...

The only two Distros I have seen be nice looking by default(or with a bit of tweaking) are Linux Mint and Open Suse 11.

Edit: Oh yeah sure we have compiz,but whats so good about it when it can be very buggy at times and make other things slow... I rather wait for Compiz++ or use KWIN...

I'd have to agree, Linux Mint is the best looking distro by default.

jimi_hendrix
January 24th, 2009, 05:41 PM
problem with your poll:

some people like the vista look over the OS X one...

i think ubuntu looks better than XP by default...with customization its the best

Copernicus1234
January 24th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Finally they realize they need to do something about Ubuntu being butt ugly with its default look. Maybe some people like its look, but to the absolute majority of people it looks old and crappy. Thats why the highest rated themes on theme sites all look good and not like the ubuntu standard theme.

If Ubuntu can find a look that looks better than MacOS, I will be very impressed, but I dont think they will be able to unless Gnome changes and ultimately allows it. If Ubuntu starts looking much better than Windows and MacOS to the majority of people, the market for Ubuntu will grow a lot. Every young kid out there will want to have it on their desktop instead of Windows. People want good looking stuff, specially young people, its not a mystery. Then these people grow up and keep using what they used as a kid.

Windows has used this tactics - it has always looked better than the competition to most people. Thats why it has become so popular from the beginning.

diablo75
January 24th, 2009, 05:53 PM
It looks too much like Windows 98 to me. Functionally it ROCKS my socks. But KDE has a big leg up on GNOME when it comes to aesthetics.

gjoellee
January 24th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Ubuntu's UI is ugly!

Twitch6000
January 24th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Windows has used this tactics - it has always looked better than the competition to most people. Thats why it has become so popular from the beginning.

I was agreeing with you until well you said that....

THAT IS PURE OUT RIGHT FUD.

The reason why it has become so popular even from the start is because of market tactics and buying out people...(dos comes to mind)

You do know that basically anything Microsoft has made has either been a stolen idea or a bought idea...?

So yeah... it is not the looks that has given Microsoft the marketshare it is the market tactics...

Kvark
January 24th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I think brown is okay and most of Ubuntu's default themes over the years have been better than XP's toy like theme but Ubuntu won't beat Vista and OSX in looks unless it drops brown entirely and goes for orange.

Compiz Fusion is cooler than Vista and OSX's effects but not as beautiful as either of them. It seems the technology has more potential than the other platforms but it needs effects designed by graphic artists and usability engineers.

If Compiz Fusion and GTK where integrated so Compiz Fusion could work not only with windows but with individual widgets then it'd run circles around the competition.

Also don't forget KDE 4, once it is more complete and polished and gets better themes it'll be a serious contender for the prettiest desktop title.

blueshiftoverwatch
January 24th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Whats wrong with the look of Windows 95/98? One of the first things I do after installing a Linux distro is modify the GUI settings to make it look as much like Windows 95 as possible.

mamamia88
January 24th, 2009, 06:37 PM
to start out it's boring but with a little tweaking it's awesome

Ripfox
January 24th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Ubuntu's UI is ugly!

Yes the default is god-awful ugmoe. That's the extra hour I spend after install and tweaks...:)

cardinals_fan
January 24th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I don't like it, but I really hate the look of OS X, so I voted for the top option.

Skripka
January 24th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Whats wrong with the look of Windows 95/98? One of the first things I do after installing a Linux distro is modify the GUI settings to make it look as much like Windows 95 as possible.

Just thinking of Windows95 still gives me nightmares. Eeeeek.

OSX is uck, and awkward/annoying. Gnome default is uck, but still useable. Win Vista has its moments of usability interspersed with lots of annoyance, but is aesthetically OK to my mind. WinXP and 95 have little more than 60s cartoon graphics that merit an uck--but I memorized where everything is having to fix it.

ryaxnb
January 24th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I think Mac OS X has a boring gray default UI that's inconsistent. Windows 7 is now close to the top of the heap, but default can be a little over-transparent. Ubuntu looks good, better than OS X, but not wonderful.

As for "feel", not looks, Ubuntu is wildly inconsistent in the feel with some GNOME/KDE4 apps being very easy to use but third-party apps that aren't part of GNOME/KDE or closely allied, as well as some confusing KDE apps, feeling awful. Examples of easy apps are most of GNOME, F-Spot, Firefox, Totem, Thunderbird & Pidgin. On KDE side, good apps are Amarok, Quanta, Kate, Dolphin etc. But Bad apps ease-of-use and "feel" wise include Kompozer, Opera, VLC, Kaffeine, Konqueror. Windows is generally just OK but at least it's consistent. Mac OS X is top-of-class on feel and ease, even if the looks can be inconsistent and lacking.

Overall, the Ubuntu looks are good. Better than SuSE or Fedora IMHO. Ubuntu has a clear brand that carries through, and incredible customization. With a good customization it can easily look better than anything. It can be a pain to customize tho.

As for feel, I'd say OS X is clearly on top, then usually Windows, but Ubuntu out-paces windows in feel in some areas, primarily where GNOME apps are dominant.

sharp65
January 24th, 2009, 08:11 PM
It's better than win95/98 which isn't really saying much, it really needs an overhaul sooner rather than later.

chucky chuckaluck
January 24th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Lets see Mac OS X do this!

you're thrilled with that and i think it reta... foolish nonsense. i'm sure people have equally varied reactions to vista, os x, xp, etc. linux, as far as i know, is the easiest to change. it wins.

Frak
January 24th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Since "It's all it's own" is not on the list, I voted it looks ugly.

ALWAYS include an "Other".

y6FgBn)~v
January 24th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Although a highly subjective question I suspect the majority here would agree the UI could use a bit of work.