PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Choosing options during Intrepid Ibex alternate install

melopsittacus
January 24th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Hello!

I am installing Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex using the alternate CD. However when the "Select and Install" software stage is reached, the installer does not actually let me select anything. It just goes on and installs some predefined packages, and then installs GRUB. I am redoing the whole procedure for the third time, but I never found out how to actually choose from the options. Am I doing something wrong, or is the newest version of Ubuntu just too "user-friendly"?

lemming465
January 25th, 2009, 11:35 PM
... is the newest version of Ubuntu just too "user-friendly"
In the sense that both the live desktop and text installers install a default set of packages (base system + ubuntu-desktop metapackage), yes it's too friendly - by design. I gave up on Debian for a while back in the late '90s when it used to take me 4 hours (!) to run the package selection step; life was too short.

If you need more control over the packages than what you get from synaptic or apt-get after the basic install, you can get a much more minimal install using the server CD.