PDA

View Full Version : Now can I go to sleep, officer?

MaindotC
January 24th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I work at a gas station in town while going to college. Tonight I was working 10p - 4a and around 3:11 I was monitoring the entrance as three guys walk out and one of them drops a four-pack of Sparks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparks_(drink)). There's no chance he bought it because we stop selling alcohol at 1 am. I told him to stop. He told me to "<expletive> off" and started running away with his two acquaintances west on Main St. (http://is.gd/h3oI) (random destination). We've got it all on camera and the other guys with whom I'm working know who it is so there's no rush. We call the police and when they arrive, the other guys inform the state troopers who it was and where he lives - in fact they've dealt with him before. So they say they'll go get him and if I'll stick around so they can take a statement from me later. Ok - I get off work in like half an hour but ok.

So like an hour goes by - I have no idea where they are or what the heck is taking so long. Do I call their office and say I had to go home? It's 4 am - I wanna get to sleep! They finally show up and ask if I would meet them up at the station because they have "someone else" in the car. I go up to the station to give my statement and there's a girl there balling her eyes out and one of the two police officers is giving her the usual platonic attitude - telling her when the appearance will be. I figure she's the sister or friend of the guy they have in custody and she's just sad that he's in this mess.

The arresting officer gives the guy, whole stole from my store, an appearance ticket and warns him that he has to be there to appear before the judge or he could face much more severe penalties. I go to give my statement and near the end I ask about the girl that's in the other room. He tells me that when they went to go pick up the kid that stole from the store, they knocked on the door of what seemed to be a house party, the wrong house, and this girl was hosting a party with several drugs there. So, the police dealt with that situation and arrested her - i'm assuming because she was the host - and then went to the next house, the correct one this time, to pick up the guy that stole from the store. He said it was like finding a $20 bill on the ground!

Now I'm finally home - going to bed now :D

Swagman
January 24th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I wonder if she'll talk to her neighbour anymore.

And from a blokes perspective... Hmm.. No chance going of getting lucky with her now !!

bgerlich
January 24th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Well she learned a lesson, when cops knock at your door, go out and close the door behind you

Eisenwinter
January 24th, 2009, 02:23 PM
yeah, and don't have big parties which involve illegal substances, without taking some precautions first, such as how to hide everything quickly, should the cops come snooping around.

bgerlich
January 24th, 2009, 02:36 PM
yeah, and don't have big parties which involve illegal substances, without taking some precautions first, such as how to hide everything quickly, should the cops come snooping around.

Sorry, but that's a bit ... false. Although the legislation varies, when they are inside, you are screwed, especially if there are other people with you. They will just approach the person that is scared the most, take him/her to the side and ask where the drugs are. If a policeman is in your house and you are hosting a party, all you can do is pray to your gods that his missus is making meatloaf tonight and he loves meatloaf too much to care to take you in. :)

blueshiftoverwatch
January 24th, 2009, 03:50 PM
In the United States if a police officer knocks at your door you don't have to open the door or even say anything to him through the closed door unless he has a search warrant. You can just ignore him until (or if) he comes back with a search warrant.

Although I'm not sure what circumstances that applies under. For example, if someone is being chased by the police and they run into their house and lock the door behind them the police officer doesn't need a search warrant to come in and arrest the person. I'm also not sure if there are some parts of the country where the law is structured differently. I'm pretty sure it that would be the same everywhere in the US because of the 4th amendment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution ). But who knows these days.

If your curious as to what the law(s) actually say(s) I would look for better sources than the general discussion area of a Linux support forum.

bgerlich
January 24th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I'm not from the US, also I'm not too fond of Police officers, but still think in normal life situation it is prudent to find out what they want and maybe avoid a parking ticket.

Plus, even in the US an anonymous emergency call could result in a warrantless search, if you don't talk to the Police.

MaindotC
January 24th, 2009, 07:07 PM
If she was snorting coke and smoking weed I doubt she has the sense to try and put one over on the cops. Besides, walking outsie and locking the door should be a dead giveaway. Something tells me the police already know that routine and have plenty of routes to circumvent that.