PDA

View Full Version : Weird things you do

dnRoyston
January 24th, 2009, 07:56 AM
As someone who has OCD, I feel the need to make this thread, to see the weird things people here do.

I have a few things that have been with me, not a habit that will go away, like the next section:

I have the strong need to drink water in a paper cup when visiting "The Community Cafe" (Yes, I'm drinking some right now)
When on the road, I will make a beat out of the lines of tar in the road
I play the drums with my teeth (like grinding my teeth, but with a rhythm)
I will message anyone on my contact list with "HELLO, THANKS FOR LOGGING IN" whenever they log in

And there are the habits that have gone away, or will soon:

Flex the muscle beneath my jaw (makes it look like a double chin)
Popping my big toe (I lost feeling in that toe 3 times because of that)
biting my fingernails and the skin around them (I still do this)
I click my tongue (I still do this)
I will attempt to maintain symmetry with EVERYTHING (I still do this)

Anyone else do things like this, or am I going absolutely insane?

MikeTheC
January 24th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Well, I oftentimes engage myself in extended thought exercises.

For instance...

I was walking across my college campus the other day, and it was right after a cold front had come through, so I had on a jacket, sweater, slacks, etc. but I was still pretty cold. So, I started thinking about how to build a survival shelter, if I lived up north, to survive really cold temperatures if all I had were empty shipping palettes, shrink wrap, a power drill and a bunch of wood screws.

In the past, I've plotted out such things as how I would configure a theoretical office for power, telecom, CATV and data wiring; ways to improve rainwater drainage on a piece of property; the logistics of how to capture rain water from residential and commercial structures, roadways and so on as a means of having a centralized water distribution system to serve as an adjunct in times of crisis or natural disasters; and the relative merits of building a security/intelligence center as a completely concealed facility (instead of the above-ground type structures like the NSA facilities, the Pentagon, England's MI-6 building, and so forth).

However, I also dabble in writing and, being a science fiction fan in general and a Dr. Who, 70s Buck Rogers, 70s Battlestar Galactica, and Babylon 5 fan (amongst others), I do a lot of thinking about things related to those areas of interest.

Example: I have been steadily chiseling away (not at any real serious pace, but still) on how it could be even remotely possible to have the Daleks come to a sufficient level of parity with the Gallifreyan Time Lords so that they could actually have a war with them at all, let alone have a serious crack at taking them out.

(No doubt the astute amongst you folks will come to the conclusion I have a bit more free time on my hands than I perhaps need.)

Nevertheless, you asked, so there ya go!

jrusso2
January 24th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I don't have OCD. Maybe a doctor can help you?

dnRoyston
January 24th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Oh, another thing I do:

Paint and cracks on the floors within a ten foot radius will emit an invisible ray that I cannot, WILL not step on. It bugs me because I also like to have symmetrical stepping :\ Priorities, I guess.

Also, am I the only one that is extremely bugged by this picture?
http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/786/1232781655410yb3.jpg
It doesn't even follow a numerical pattern, and the paperclips are completely unrelated. LET ALONE the pencil, which bugs the crap out of me.

MikeTheC
January 24th, 2009, 08:49 AM

Yeah, they need to get rid of all that redundancy. In fact, the pencils should be disposed of entirely and replaced with one (at the most two, if it's a two-pack) mechanical pencils, one black pen, one red pen, and a box full of paperclips.

That would make me much happier.

dnRoyston
January 24th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Yeah, they need to get rid of all that redundancy. In fact, the pencils should be disposed of entirely and replaced with one (at the most two, if it's a two-pack) mechanical pencils, one black pen, one red pen, and a box full of paperclips.

That would make me much happier.
Or have there be only 5 pencils, but 8 paper clips. Fibonacci sequence.

wolfen69
January 24th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Oh, another thing I do:

Paint and cracks on the floors within a ten foot radius will emit an invisible ray that I cannot, WILL not step on. It bugs me because I also like to have symmetrical stepping :\ Priorities, I guess.

It doesn't even follow a numerical pattern, and the paperclips are completely unrelated. LET ALONE the pencil, which bugs the crap out of me.

they make medication for it now. it's called alcohol.

RiceMonster
January 24th, 2009, 09:12 AM
I've been playing guitar for 6 years, and only some basic stuff on drums, yet I find myself playing air drums all the time but almost never air guitar. Don't worry, I don't do that in public :p.

When I was younger and my parents would take me to Church, I would unfold all the folded dog-eared pages in the hymn books in front of me. It still drives me crazy when pages are dog eared. I don't know why.

mkendall
January 24th, 2009, 09:42 AM
By rights, shouldn't it be CDO?

Eisenwinter
January 24th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Define "weird".

If you define it as "other people don't do this, therefore when I do this, I'm weird" then you lose all respect from me.

dnRoyston
January 24th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Define "weird".

If you define it as "other people don't do this, therefore when I do this, I'm weird" then you lose all respect from me.
"Weird" by definition:

2 : of strange or extraordinary character : odd , fantastic

synonyms weird , eerie , uncanny mean mysteriously strange or fantastic. weird may imply an unearthly or supernatural strangeness or it may stress queerness or oddness <weird creatures from another world>. eerie suggests an uneasy or fearful consciousness that mysterious and malign powers are at work <an eerie calm preceded the bombing raid>. uncanny implies disquieting strangeness or mysteriousness <an uncanny resemblance between total strangers>.