PDA

View Full Version : Saying Hello!!!

Bijin
January 24th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Hello Everyone!

I am new to the forums and I wanted to say hello to everyone. I finally decided to join the community after a good conversation with a friend who uses Ubuntu and loves it.

I won't bore you with the "How I Got Here" stuff but wanted to let everyone know I am around and I hope to respond to questions I can answer on the forum to the best of my knowledge.

My background hasn't been around a Unix heavy environment however I have always find it somewhat interesting to dabble into every now and then. I am now getting into it more as time progresses with its reliablity, ease of use for non technical users as well as the freedom from issues that most Microsoft Operating Systems have.

I have about six and a half years of IT "Professional" IT Experience. Most of it I wouldn't call "Professional" but that is how it was portrayed to the customers. I started at Best Buy and then moved to Geek Squad and ended up going to customers houses and businesses to service anything that had a power button and used electricity to be honest. It was a great job to be brutally honest but I took the first chance I could at a 8-5 Monday - Friday job. I moved on to a Engineering Firm that had about 10 offices on the Eastern side from Florida to Mass. They were excited about finally having someone to direct and manage the 3 surrounding offices in different states instead of going through their main office for help. Anyway, the recession hit most engineering firms and of course I was the first one to get axed because they didn't "need" and IT Pro apparently.

Blah, forget my ramble.

Hello Everyone!

Bijin

Rokurosv
January 24th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Welcome aboard, I hope you have a great in the forums. The people here are awesome and very helpful.

Have fun posting!

Sorivenul
January 24th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Welcome to the Forums! Have fun! Be helped, and be helpful.

Cheers!

dnRoyston
January 24th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Hellooo, welcome to the forums! Kick your feet up, grab yourself a drink, make yourself at home!

MikeTheC
January 24th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Welcome aboard! We're a crazy bunch, but we don't bite.

Much. Lately.

Anyhow...

I understand and can appreciate your woes in the IT field as well as in the "having a job" department. You're probably wiser than you know for coming here (well, honestly, for deciding to try out Linux and then coming here). The reason is that knowing Linux will make you a LOT more valuable, since it's so much a part of lots of critical infrastructure jobs out there. Get into it, get comfortable, get knowledgeable, and then get certified.

Besides that, all I can tell you in my view "from the trenches" is to dig in and be prepared not to find any useful employment for a while. I live on the other side of the state of Florida from where you've indicated, and I can tell you there's little out there going on right now. Everything I see through Monster and CareerBuilder (and even at various different company's own job portal pages) is sparse at best, and the listings have had two things in common:

1. They're completely outside my scope of knowledge, experience or interest;
2. They invariably require college degrees, the majority of them requiring at least a Bachelor's, which I don't possess.

Now might be a good time to go back and retool.

But in any event, again, welcome to UbuntuForums!

wolfen69
January 24th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Hello Everyone!

I am new to the forums and I wanted to say hello to everyone.

Hello. welcome to linux. i hope you enjoy it as much as i do. if so, you'll have the time of your life.

MikeTheC
January 24th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Hello. welcome to linux. i hope you enjoy it as much as i do. if so, you'll have the time of your life.

Yes, but if he enjoyed it half as much as you, you'd still be enjoying it twice as much as him!

Procuro
January 24th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Welcome! I'm actually new to the forums as well. Actually I've used ubuntu since dapper but never got around to making an account. I guess better late than never I suppose :)

Sprut1
January 24th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Welcome! Enjoy your stay and please, oh please, spend many hours here (so you can help me when I have a problem). Cheers!