PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New installation

robinbirdsong
January 24th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Just installed Ubuntu 8.10. Wouldn't recognize wireless network. Tried to install wireless drivers via CD. Downloads them, but when I attempt to install, says I do not have permission and that it is a read only file. Wireless is only connection available, so unable to download from internet. Tried to connect without these drivers, does not seem the connection. Please help, am new to linux.

LeakyInkPen
January 24th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Tried to install wireless drivers via CD.

By that I think you mean you used the drivers that came with your wireless card? Those are for window$ and as you have seen, they don't do Ubuntu a lick of good. I ran into this a while back on 7.04 and ended up running an ethernet cable through my house long enough to get everything updated. Yeah, I had to go and buy the stuff, but Home Depot had a VERY relaxed return policy so I just took it back and said it was the wrong stuff. Hope everything works out for you.

robinbirdsong
January 24th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Thanks, LeakyInkPen! That makes sense, I should have guessed! I will go the long way around and do the cable thing.:(

robinbirdsong
January 25th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Hey Leaky, I managed to get a cable hookup and go online, all I had to do was install the over 200 updates that were suggested, and was able to wireless connect, with no further difficulties! Hurrah! Thanks again!