PDA

View Full Version : [other] Home Networking Questions?

era86
January 24th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Greetings!

I am setting up a home network (or trying to), but I don't know if this is possible. I have a Linksys router splitting up the Internet connection throughout the household. Is there a way I can take one of the wires and connected to a hub to share internet in a room? I have a room with 3 computers in addition to the other 3 set up around the house. Basically, I was wondering if the hub will split the connection. Any bit helps. THanks!

SIGTERMer
January 24th, 2009, 05:49 AM
sure, a switch (or hubs) act as if they are extra ports on your router (assuming that you connect the switch to the router). personally, i got a setup similar to the one you just described and it works great :)

just keep in mind that a switch only connects devices together. it does not assign IPs or anything, the router does all the work.

era86
January 25th, 2009, 06:42 AM
hmm.. so i have a vista box, xp box, and ubuntu box.. but only the ubuntu and xp box get internet. do i have to do anything with the router to get all three to get internet?

Iowan
January 26th, 2009, 12:06 AM
You shouldn't need to change anything on router. You might try swapping cables to see if problem moves. I could envision the uplink port not working connected to a computer.

Although unlikely, I suppose the router could be out of lease addresses, but the first machines should get addresses.