PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.10 install fails

JohnnyA
January 24th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Ok, I must have missed something. Downloaded ISO image from site. Checked integrity with MD5. Burnt the ISO image to CD.
Booted from CD and got the install page. Checked integrity again
with menu option. All ok. Started installation. Progress bar went all the way across, and then we lost video signal (blank screen with power light flashing) CD continued to flash(read) for another 60 secs. or so, then nothing.
Brand new machine. 3.2ghz Intel processor, 2gb ram, blank 80gb
IDE hard drive, ATI Radeon HD2600 Pro 512mb ram.

Probably have built/repaired a few hundred PC's in my day, so I know how to spell Computer. Right now I feel pretty dumb because
I was told a 12 year old could do this.

Down in Canada

taurus
January 24th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Have you tried to use the safe graphic mode? Otherwise, you can always try the alternate CD to install it on your machine.

JohnnyA
January 24th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Thanks for the speed reply Taurus. Did not see any Safe Video mode in startup screen? Not sure I understand what you mean bt "alternate cd".
Thanks

Rim
January 24th, 2009, 03:58 AM
<.< same thing happens with my windows or any linux install cd that i burned at too high speeds. For some reason in this stage the dvdrom can't read the data properly if its written at high speeds. Which is why windows xp cd never boots up and linux cds usually don't either. Burn the cd at low speeds cd 16x or so then it should boot properly and not crash. Also my cdroms seem to pick up the data and i can install from those just the dvdroms don't. Strange huh?

Best would be to burn it again at low speed and use a cdrom drive or another dvdrom, if u don't have 1 then don't switch it should boot anyway.

^^ i installed 8.10 AMD64 yesterday....was surprised it worked out of the box...in 2 hours i got all my programs on it and i'm new to Linux! :\ was so simple with no errors no crashes...just straight forward.

theozzlives
January 24th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Thanks for the speed reply Taurus. Did not see any Safe Video mode in startup screen? Not sure I understand what you mean bt "alternate cd".
Thanks

At the original screen of the live CD hit F4 and choose safe video mode, if that don't work, the Alternate ISO is the same place you downloaded the live. It's text based instead of graphical.

JohnnyA
January 24th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Changed to Safe Graphic Mode and the installation seems to be progressing as it should. Many thanks to all for you help. You are a credit to this forum.
Regards
JohnnyA