PDA

View Full Version : [other] Fluxbuntu live cd jumps straight to install?

josephcohen
January 24th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I downloaded this file:
http://releases.fluxbuntu.org/7.10/rc/fluxbuntu-7.10-installer-i386.iso
And I burnt it to a disc but when I put it into my computer it went straight to the install? As in it got to the menu but there was no option for live cd or test or anything.

It just said install.

How can I just use the live cd and test fluxbuntu without installing it?

(and whats better fluxbuntu or fluxbox? Which one is faster too?)

gjoellee
January 24th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I downloaded this file:
http://releases.fluxbuntu.org/7.10/rc/fluxbuntu-7.10-installer-i386.iso
And I burnt it to a disc but when I put it into my computer it went straight to the install? As in it got to the menu but there was no option for live cd or test or anything.

It just said install.

How can I just use the live cd and test fluxbuntu without installing it?

(and whats better fluxbuntu or fluxbox? Which one is faster too?)

I have never used Fluxbuntu so I can't give you an answer for your first question.

Fluxbuntu=Ubuntu-GNOME+Fluxbox. Fluxbox alone is faster, but has none pre-installed programs. Fluxbuntu has.

ugm6hr
January 24th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Fluxbuntu is based on an almost obselete version of Ubuntu.

There are a few lightweight Hardy / Intrepid options out there with Openbox / LXDE that are probably better options.

josephcohen
January 24th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Is fluxbox a live cd?
Or linux mint flux?
I just want to try flux.

ugm6hr
January 24th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Is fluxbox a live cd?
Or linux mint flux?
I just want to try flux.

Fluxbox is just the Window Manager, which needs to be added to a Linux base to create a LiveCD.

Linux Mint Flux is presumably a Live CD.

snowpine
January 24th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Fluxbuntu does not have a Live CD. You need to install it to try it. It is based on Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon (which will read "end of life" in April") and is a "Release Candidate" meaning it has never officially made it out of testing, and still contains some bugs.

All that being said, I love Fluxbuntu and still use it on one of my computers. But if you are looking for something more up-to-date, I recommend either 1) installing the current version of Ubuntu, Xubuntu, or command-line-only minimal Ubuntu, and then installing Fluxbox on top; or 2) trying out an Openbox distro such as Crunchbang (Openbox and Fluxbox are very similar).

Good luck!