PDA

View Full Version : Gimp text tool alternative??

Mantarni
January 23rd, 2009, 11:43 PM
I can use gimp roughly as well as I can use photoshop, which is rather well, so it's not an issue of "playing around with it and trying to learn/get used to it." I'm fine with all of it, except for the text tool. Putting it frankly, I *loathe* the text tool with a passion... I find it highly unwieldy, a complete 180 to the smoothness and flow that the majority of Gimp has (once you get used to it). So of course, I invariably end up having to use it a lot.

(1) Is there a way to get rid of that popup box and directly insert text into a custom size text area (so it will wraparound on insertion, God forbid, instead of making a 100-word text-train)?
(2) Or be be able to edit previous text just by directly clicking on it?

There has to be a patch that lets you do that. It's ridiculous how much time I end up spending on the text alone, it triples the overall work/time I put into it... (1) is highest priority, (2) would be nice but I'll sacrifice it for the first in a heartbeat.

Thanks

AJB2K3
January 24th, 2009, 08:44 AM
You could try to write your own dialog but I agree the text tool is not good.

leonardo_neo
January 24th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I can use gimp roughly as well as I can use photoshop, which is rather well, so it's not an issue of "playing around with it and trying to learn/get used to it." I'm fine with all of it, except for the text tool. Putting it frankly, I *loathe* the text tool with a passion... I find it highly unwieldy, a complete 180 to the smoothness and flow that the majority of Gimp has (once you get used to it). So of course, I invariably end up having to use it a lot.

(1) Is there a way to get rid of that popup box and directly insert text into a custom size text area (so it will wraparound on insertion, God forbid, instead of making a 100-word text-train)?
(2) Or be be able to edit previous text just by directly clicking on it?

There has to be a patch that lets you do that. It's ridiculous how much time I end up spending on the text alone, it triples the overall work/time I put into it... (1) is highest priority, (2) would be nice but I'll sacrifice it for the first in a heartbeat.

Thanks

Agree with you, the text tool is not very user friendly. I will appreciate if someone helps to iron this out.

Sand & Mercury
January 24th, 2009, 01:56 PM
This bothered me too. In 2.6 it is improved a bit, but it's still nowhere near as intuitive as Photoshop does it. Still, you get used to it.