PDA

View Full Version : Lotus Symphony

BGFG
January 23rd, 2009, 11:27 PM
I noticed that there is a Lotus Symphony office suite available for Ubuntu. Do any of you use it ? and if so what do you think of it ?
I'm currently downloading it to install in a Xp VM. It felt nice to see a specific download for Ubuntu Red Hat and Suse :)

SunnyRabbiera
January 23rd, 2009, 11:35 PM
Lotus is not that different from open office truth be told, and its based on OO2 so it has no real benefits in the long run.

Giant Speck
January 23rd, 2009, 11:42 PM
I like that tabbed document feature. I wish Open Office had that.

BGFG
January 23rd, 2009, 11:44 PM
Oo2 seriously? well i chose it because the download is smaller than Oo. Got a few more minutes to go so i'll install it anyway.
All this excitement because i recently got a Lexmark X5410 as a gift and we all know of lexmark's wonderful linux support.

i saw that Symphony got an award for best office suite 2008. That has to count for something :)

thanks for the input.

If it's any good i may try it in ubuntu. my document processing needs are minimal.

SunnyRabbiera
January 23rd, 2009, 11:46 PM
Oo2 seriously? well i chose it because the download is smaller than Oo. Got a few more minutes to go so i'll install it anyway.
All this excitement because i recently got a Lexmark X5410 as a gift and we all know of lexmark's wonderful linux support.

i saw that Symphony got an award for best office suite 2008. That has to count for something :)

thanks for the input.

Lexmark great linux support???
since when???

Giant Speck
January 23rd, 2009, 11:50 PM
Lexmark great linux support???
since when???

I can't even find that printer on OpenPrinting.org

cariboo
January 23rd, 2009, 11:51 PM
I believe there should be <SARCASM></SARCASM> around that part of the line.

Jim

Giant Speck
January 23rd, 2009, 11:54 PM

Jim

I figured the same thing. Lexmark has really crappy Linux support, as well as some EPSON printers. I love my Canon PIXMA MP210. :)

BGFG
January 24th, 2009, 12:28 AM

Jim

Correct! :) now if i can just get it to work in windows. heading over to lexmark to look for an updated driver. Oh the joy....

shatteredmindofbob
January 24th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Wait, Lotus Symphony does tabbed documents?

Now...if they'd only add live word count, I'd switch over completely!

Naiki Muliaina
January 24th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Lotus Symphony is my fave office suite by far ^^ Even if it does bring backs memorys from the 90's when i used Lotus Smart Suite (sp?) and nobody could ever read documents i sent them because everyone was using microsoft office at the time ^^

juanmoreno92
January 24th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I would use it but there are no x64 packages :( I am liking the tab feature though.

theDaveTheRave
February 21st, 2009, 09:42 PM
Lotus Symphony is my fave office suite by far ^^ Even if it does bring backs memorys from the 90's when i used Lotus Smart Suite (sp?)

I really like that peice of software, in fact I still have a copy of the install CD! I think my dad still uses it!

Out of interest how does it compare to Smart Suite?? I allways much prefered Smart Suite to the various MS offerings, I'm hoping that the old lotus Approach DB will soon be included in the new symphony, that will really give msAccess a run for its money!

and nobody could ever read documents i sent them because everyone was using microsoft office at the time ^^

Yeah I remember that too! Now at least we can bugger everyone up by using OO formats!

My favourite part thing was sending colleagues documents in 8 or 9 different formats... just in case!

Now I just save everything to either pdf or html, unless there is a requirement for editing the document!

David

binbash
February 21st, 2009, 11:18 PM
It is slow, at least slower than openoffice at my notebook

wersdaluv
February 22nd, 2009, 12:52 AM
I tried it. It's very heavy and the font rendering is terrible. I ended up not using it at all while it's sitting on my computer.

Sand & Mercury
February 22nd, 2009, 02:41 PM
I tried it. It's very heavy and the font rendering is terrible. I ended up not using it at all while it's sitting on my computer.
My sentiments exactly...

I do like the interface though.

theDaveTheRave
March 1st, 2009, 06:26 PM
My sentiments exactly...

I do like the interface though.

I downloaded this to my works desktop (windows version). The desktop is highly reminiscent of the method employed with the old Lotus SmartSuite.

I agree with Sand & Mercury about it being a nice interface. I'm just looking forward to the release of the "Database" system as that was really good.

David

mc4100
March 1st, 2009, 06:31 PM
I agree with Sand & Mercury about it being a nice interface.

Me too, I thought it looked great when I tested it.

... except when it didn't ... unspeakably horrible widgets on the right. Just demolishes the slickness.