PDA

View Full Version : Another website mockup made in GIMP

Sand & Mercury
January 23rd, 2009, 10:45 PM
This is to be a website for a bookshop that my girlfriend's family is starting soon, and I wanted to get your opinion of how it looks before I get to coding it.

It's not entirely finished (there's no navigation yet up the top :P) but it's pretty much a good representation of what the site will look like if I go ahead.

Giant Speck
January 23rd, 2009, 11:38 PM
I love it, except for two things:

1. Unless there isn't supposed to be anything there, there isn't a lot going on in the sides of the page.

2. The large green leaf that's off the immediate left of the title is out of place. It just looks weird. It's an odd shape and it's darker than the brushes used behind the title.

Coreigh
January 23rd, 2009, 11:46 PM
Resist the urge to "fill space." Just because you have room is about the WORST reason to add something. If you need to add something add another page. Remember a webpage is an information source. You want to make it as easy as possible for your viewers to find what they are looking for, if you don't they will go somewhere else. One of my greatest disappointments about web pages are the pages that make you sift through lots of stuff (advertising) to find what you want. The site owners (usually not the designers) are hoping you will succumb to an impulse purchase while you are looking for your item. Just like the checkout lanes at the grocery or the wal-mart.

It is a great idea to offer similar or complimentary items, but AFTER the viewer has quickly and easily found what they came looking for.

If you can't tell I am of the philosophy of 'Make your customers happy and they will spend their money at your store.' and NOT 'Cram a sale down everyone's throat!'

Samhain13
January 24th, 2009, 01:00 AM
OP: I saw your other mockup from a few weeks ago. I really like you're style. :)
As for this mockup, I'm interested on seeing how you'll be incorporating your navigation items. Goodluck with the site.

AJB2K3
January 24th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I like it, it's clean and crisp but I don't see any navigation.

Sand & Mercury
January 24th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks for your input everyone :KS

Giant Speck, the sides where you don't see much would only be visible on large monitors; it would not be sensible to add content there if people on 1024x768 resolution monitors could not see it. I did take your advice though about the brushes on the logo, and eventually I realised a bit of simplification was in order.

I've added navigation tabs now, and made the text 2 points smaller.

AJB2K3
January 24th, 2009, 02:44 PM
If you code using a 3column fluid-liquid layout then only the left hand will remain which IMHO thinks it looks nice and clean.
http://www.cssmastery.com/CSSMastery-code.zip look under chapter 07.
BTW buy the book CSS Mastery to understand the how the code works.

Giant Speck
January 25th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks for your input everyone :KS

Giant Speck, the sides where you don't see much would only be visible on large monitors; it would not be sensible to add content there if people on 1024x768 resolution monitors could not see it. I did take your advice though about the brushes on the logo, and eventually I realised a bit of simplification was in order.

I've added navigation tabs now, and made the text 2 points smaller.

Thank you for taking my suggestion in to consideration! That is absolutely beautiful!