PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to configure xorg.conf like a fresh install

nfolken
January 23rd, 2009, 10:30 PM
I installed ubuntu 8.10 on a computer with an embedded ati graphics chip. Everything looked good, so I updated and tried the fglrx driver, which didn't work. I uninstalled it, but now when i start, it still tells me "Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode". Using the option presented to reconfigure doesn't fix anything, nor does "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" or "dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg". I don't have a backup xorg.conf, and the ones I do have are all very generic and sparce, only a dozen or so lines long.

Do I really have to manually create an xorg.conf file? the time in research alone makes reinstalling seem faster and easier. tweaking the file I can do, but Sax2 always did the majority of the work for me in opensuse. Is there anything like that for Ubuntu?

Pumalite
January 23rd, 2009, 11:18 PM
You could boot your Live CD, copy the xorg.conf file to a CD or external drive; backup yours and replace it with the new one.

nfolken
January 24th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Interesting Idea... Let the liveCD create a new xorg.conf for my computer... I'll give it a try.

Still though, surely there's a 'right way' about doing this

Pumalite
January 24th, 2009, 01:45 AM
You wanted a new xorg.conf. That's it.