PDA

View Full Version : Well, it's been good. But it's time to move on, I guess.

Chibi
December 17th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Since Slackware 9 I have been a pure linux user and enthusiast. I was excited when I would get higher framerates running my old games in WINE, and seeing Linux id game ports crush the windows versions, but over time, and over new distrobutions, it seems things have gotten progressively slower and more memory consuming. I don't know what it is, but it's causing my favorite games such as Second Life and World of Warcraft to suffer in performance. I've tried every little twist and tweak aside from just moving back to slackware.

I managed to get my hands on an OEM copy of Windows Media Center 2005. I hate windows, and I felt comfortable as soon as I started this baby up. Everything ran fast, right, clean, and it didn't suffer from XP's Fisher Price default scheme. I've decided, due to my game performance, that I am switching to this kernel until whatever kinks are worked out of wine and such. Am I leaving the Ubuntu community? Hell no. I've got my desktop Ubuntu-Clearlooks styled, I'm still using Firefox, Gaim, GIMP, and GNOME/XFCE(Under cygwin) as my core programs. ...Running windows doesn't feel as bad when I'm running all gnu software on top of it. :D

I seriously hope this doesn't need to be a permanent change. I hope to see Linux prevail as a mainstream operating system, and used on the computers of noobs all over the world. If any project is going to accomplish that, it will be Ubuntu. Keep kicking ass while I'm gone, guys. I'll be back after Linden Lab finally pushes out that linux client they've been promising for the past 3 years.

LinuxSwede
December 17th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Since Slackware 9 I have been a pure linux user and enthusiast. I was excited when I would get higher framerates running my old games in WINE, and seeing Linux id game ports crush the windows versions, but over time, and over new distrobutions, it seems things have gotten progressively slower and more memory consuming. I don't know what it is, but it's causing my favorite games such as Second Life and World of Warcraft to suffer in performance. I've tried every little twist and tweak aside from just moving back to slackware.

I managed to get my hands on an OEM copy of Windows Media Center 2005. I hate windows, and I felt comfortable as soon as I started this baby up. Everything ran fast, right, clean, and it didn't suffer from XP's Fisher Price default scheme. I've decided, due to my game performance, that I am switching to this kernel until whatever kinks are worked out of wine and such. Am I leaving the Ubuntu community? Hell no. I've got my desktop Ubuntu-Clearlooks styled, I'm still using Firefox, Gaim, GIMP, and GNOME/XFCE(Under cygwin) as my core programs. ...Running windows doesn't feel as bad when I'm running all gnu software on top of it. :D

I seriously hope this doesn't need to be a permanent change. I hope to see Linux prevail as a mainstream operating system, and used on the computers of noobs all over the world. If any project is going to accomplish that, it will be Ubuntu. Keep kicking ass while I'm gone, guys. I'll be back after Linden Lab finally pushes out that linux client they've been promising for the past 3 years.

Being an old slackware user and a personal friend of Patrick V i'm kind of sad to see you go, however, i trust you will get back when you want to tweak your system, which anyone who has ever been running linux for a longer period of time will inevitably want to do.

FWIW i did decide to go down that path once when i compiled the system from source and had a reboot, using XFS which isn't meant to be used at ALL on x86 hardware i lost pretty much everything i had... I did come back though, i'm running slackware current as my stable, breezy as unstable and dpper as my testing.

I would run Opensolaris express but the hardware recog sucks so bad it's impossible since i can't even connect to the net (and i'm using fairly common via rhine cards)

Whatever path you choose, best of luck

Chibi
December 17th, 2005, 08:32 AM
So, do you notice big speed differences between Ubuntu and Slackware, or is that just specific to me?

LinuxSwede
December 17th, 2005, 08:41 AM
So, do you notice big speed differences between Ubuntu and Slackware, or is that just specific to me?

No, slackware is faster and stable, there is a reason for that too, Slackwere will allow you to do anything but it won't set it up for you, i like the editing of files and find it hella difficult to have to edit five files in Ubuntu that are then removed without me even asking for it.

Besides, slackware is KDE or XFCE exclusive nowadays and both are faster.

If you decide to stay in the slack zone, i'd recommend linuxpackages which you no doubt already know of, a full system upgrade using it, and you'll have a systen that is extremely fast and STILL using the latest patches from Patrick V for security.

Chibi
December 17th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Yeah, I know of Linuxpackages. If I didn't I probably wouldn't have stayed with slackware so long, though I'm glad I did. It certainly forced me to learn everything I needed to know to fix this and that, compile whatever from app to kernel, debug, all that huzzah. I had pains though, I lost my first slackware system that I worked very hard to setup in a disk crash (Never buy a Western Digital Hard Drive, I've lost 6 to hardware failure.)
..Started distro-hunting, installing this and that, still coming back to slackware until Ubuntu was released.. And ubuntu was like debian heaven, so I stuck with it. :O

I think it made me lazy.. :/

Now for a random question: Does anyone have a Transgaming account, and if they do, is it possible to download winex3.3.2 engine in cedega5? I've been wanting to resubscribe and get it, but not if 3.3.2 is ditched (Only version that can run Second Life)

LinuxSwede
December 17th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Yeah, I know of Linuxpackages. If I didn't I probably wouldn't have stayed with slackware so long, though I'm glad I did. It certainly forced me to learn everything I needed to know to fix this and that, compile whatever from app to kernel, debug, all that huzzah. I had pains though, I lost my first slackware system that I worked very hard to setup in a disk crash (Never buy a Western Digital Hard Drive, I've lost 6 to hardware failure.)
..Started distro-hunting, installing this and that, still coming back to slackware until Ubuntu was released.. And ubuntu was like debian heaven, so I stuck with it. :O

I think it made me lazy.. :/

Now for a random question: Does anyone have a Transgaming account, and if they do, is it possible to download winex3.3.2 engine in cedega5? I've been wanting to resubscribe and get it, but not if 3.3.2 is ditched (Only version that can run Second Life)

I read your reply in the other thread, you're not telling me that you are going to buy a dual core 64 bit processor and run a 32 bit non threaded system on that?

Slackware64 is what you want to try, i've had great success with it, up to 16 times as fast as with slack on the same machine and you KNOW that win is slower than that even.

i suggest slackware 64, use slapt/gslapt to keep it up to date, set your preferences to your arch. Compile your own kernel and install the amd86nv drivers and rock and ROLL.

For cedega you'll want CVS, check out linuxpackages if you are running slack64 current.

Chibi
December 17th, 2005, 04:53 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14382497@N00/74432594/

This is my windows desktop at the moment, by the way. It's extremely reminicent of my XFCE setup, the only thing missing are the little network and system meters on the panel, and the alpha of thunar is replaced with nautilus.

xequence
December 17th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Everything ran fast, right, clean

Windows does that. For about a week. Then it just gets slower and slower.

Trust me, ive been from windows to linux to windows and back again. I switch alot. I found myself doing a clean install of windows once a week just to keep it running fast enough.

Heh, whatever works for you ;)

WildTangent
December 17th, 2005, 07:13 PM
YOU MUST SHARE HOW YOU GOT ALL THAT STUFF WORKING ON WINDOWS!

Seriously...I find myself using Windows fairly often, and if I could make it more like linux, that would be the bomb.

-Wild

Chibi
December 18th, 2005, 02:06 AM
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/18591720/
Clearlooks for windows, kinda a mishmash between Clearlooks and Bluecurve, Ubuntu scheme avalible. (Needs cracked uxtheme.dll or StyleXP)

http://www.cygwin.com/
Cygwin, a Linux layer for windows, and the Xwin server for Xorg.

http://cygwinports.dotsrc.org/
Cygwin ports, including GNOME, XFCE, some games, and a bunch of software you really don't need to be running (dbus and stuff)

Basicly, after setup you get a little non-standard linux distro, the thick of your programs are in \bin, but they can't be run straight out of the box.

What you want to do is go over to \usr\X11R6\bin and make a batch file. I'll write up an example based off my nautilus batch script.

@echo off
SET DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
SET CYGWIN_ROOT=\cygwin
SET RUN=%CYGWIN_ROOT%\bin\run -p /usr/X11R6/bin
SET PATH=.;%CYGWIN_ROOT%\bin;%CYGWIN_ROOT%\usr\X11R6\b in;%PATH%
SET XAPPLRESDIR=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults
SET XCMSDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Xcms.txt
SET XKEYSYMDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB
SET XNLSPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale
if not exist %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix\X0 goto CLEANUP-FINISH
attrib -s %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix\X0
del %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix\X0

:CLEANUP-FINISH
if exist %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix rmdir %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix

:STARTUP

REM All that crap before is just standard stuff to clean up the system, but
REM It's necessary. Next we start up the X server. There are some options
REM for it that you can check out in the startxwin script. We're going to
REM make it start using windows built in window manager, but you could also
REM use -rootless if you added a line to run a window manager, or
REM -fullscreen if you wanted to run a full environment startup sh script
REM and have it run on it's own fullscreen area that you can alt-tab to.

%RUN% XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error

REM Next we start nautilus, but we don't want the desktop window, because
REM it will window itself into a mess, and besides, we already have our
REM explorer or blackbox or litestep or whatever root window.

%RUN% nautilus --no-desktop --browser
REM %RUN% metacity
REM Uncomment the metacity run if you use -rootless, or use your favorite
REM Window manager.

Bleh, that took longer than I thought. But then just make links to your .bats
It's pretty seamless, but your windows filesystem isn't redily availible. I'm sure there's a way around that, just haven't figured it out yet.

joflow
December 18th, 2005, 04:43 AM
MCE 2005 is a wonderful OS. I dual boot Ubuntu and MCE 2k5 with MCE being my primary OS.

Its pretty stable. I have problems with programs crashing and lately explorer crashes from time to time. But NO CRASH has ever brought down the whole system.

I've only seen a BSOD in XP maybe 3 times. All 3 times involved hardware...either a bad driver or hardware failure. Thats in about 3 years of running XP.

SP2 really fixed alot of virus issues. With SP1 I used to get some nasty worms that would shut down the system automatically. SP2 cleared that up.

Over all, XP is overrated in general but very underrated within the Linux community.

kalos
December 19th, 2005, 04:44 AM
It's pretty seamless, but your windows filesystem isn't redily availible. I'm sure there's a way around that, just haven't figured it out yet.

You mean you can't access an NTFS filesystem? If you reinstalled MCE on Fat32, then you should be fine (I don't know if MCE lets you do that though). There are projects (http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-ntfs) working on implementing ntfs support though.

-kalos

Curlydave
December 19th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Has anyone figured out how to get the clearlooks skin installed in WinXP? Thanks!

amohanty
December 19th, 2005, 07:01 AM
I have to say cygwin is a lifesaver. We use WinXP exclusively at work, so cygwin, with xterm under a headless X, is just too good to be true. Heck I even compiled vim, ff and evince using the gtk ports. Now if only I could get the virtual desktop manager to not crash SQL server's enterprise manager (go figure!), I would be completely sated.

Chibi
December 19th, 2005, 08:46 AM
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Themes/UXTheme-Patch-For-Windows-XP-SP2-Final.shtml
Run this patcher, and copy the theme folder into C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes or something like that. It'll show up in your theme thingy after a reboot. Don't be afraid of the patch, all it changes is allowing you to run shell files not signed by microsoft.

benplaut
December 19th, 2005, 09:29 AM
so... is cygwin+gnome seriously advanced enough to replace the windows interface? (i'm going to be dual-booting for games, so i might as well be using Gnome :P )

PatrickMay16
December 19th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Hey, Chibi... would you happen to be the guy who recently posted on 4chan's /g/ about running thing in Cygwin? I notice you said that you run GNOME and stuff using cygwin, and recently a guy going by the name of "chibifs" posted at that site about running things in Cygwin. That guy also posted this screenshot:
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7125/11348338996457pk.jpg

amohanty
December 19th, 2005, 06:14 PM
so... is cygwin+gnome seriously advanced enough to replace the windows interface?

I have been able to do it, the only downside is that it is a serious memory hog in my case. Even with 1.7 G ram, it can visibly slow down sometimes. But as I mentioned, I run X in headless mode, so I can use all X/GTK based apps without the full blown desktop manager.

Screenshot attached.

Chibi
March 10th, 2006, 11:59 PM
In case no one noticed. I'm back, and using Dapper. With a compile of the latest ALSA from cvs, and a few tweaks here and there to wine, my system is again fully supported, and it's silly now that I'm using that clearlooks setup in reverse. The rendering for it is kind of slow under wine, but at least it does it. :D

mstlyevil
March 11th, 2006, 12:02 AM
In case no one noticed. I'm back, and using Dapper. With a compile of the latest ALSA from cvs, and a few tweaks here and there to wine, my system is again fully supported, and it's silly now that I'm using that clearlooks setup in reverse. The rendering for it is kind of slow under wine, but at least it does it. :D

Welcome back and I am glad things are now working out for you. :D

xequence
March 11th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Has anyone figured out how to get the clearlooks skin installed in WinXP? Thanks!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=136401

Dakaru
March 11th, 2006, 12:23 AM
I've found nothing in windows can ammount to the speed of fluxbox.

xequence
March 11th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Wow, everyone seems to like MCE 2005 so much... Is it really so much better then normal XP? Any better driver support?

Because it comes with my new computer and I might consider possibly using it if it doesent have alot of OEM crap.

Dakaru
March 11th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Why are you worried about driver support... It's Windows...