PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How long has system76 been around

scottdhansen
January 23rd, 2009, 04:59 PM
Can you advise on some detail concerning system76. How long have they been around. How responsive is support. What is the experience with hardware warrantee that has been provided.

The about link from system76.com web page (http://system76.com/article_info.php?articles_id=22) seems a bit slim in my humble opinion.

Thank you,

Scott

thomasaaron
January 23rd, 2009, 05:11 PM
Can you advise on some detail concerning system76.

But, of course!

ow long have they been around.

For about three years. Scroll to the bottom of this blog for a little more detail...

http://carlrichell.com

How responsive is support. What is the experience with hardware warrantee that has been provided.

You're talking to a support tech now.

I'll leave it to customers to weigh in with their own experiences. There are already a bunch of posts on this, though. For example...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1045622

The about link from system76.com web page (http://system76.com/article_info.php?articles_id=22) seems a bit slim in my humble opinion.

Yeah, it's meant more as a mission statement than a tell-all history. But it could probably use a little more meat. I'll pass that on.

Vadi
January 23rd, 2009, 06:11 PM
As a customer I can definitely praise their support response times and helpfulness.

compholio
January 23rd, 2009, 11:51 PM
Same sentiment here, plus having everything work out of the box was a huge plus :)

hkarl629
January 24th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Great product and great support.

hkarl629

Rotarychainsaw
January 24th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Gave me a new cd drive for my laptop under warranty. They sent me the drive and let me install it myself, which I thought was cool. Didn't want to be lappy-less for a week or 2.

Sr.Slacker
January 24th, 2009, 03:55 PM
For what it is worth, System76 customer support is excellent!

What I like best about Carl and Tom is how they listen to the customer, try to understand the problem, and try to replicate it to fix it. You don't get that kind of support from a call center tech sitting in Bangalore reading questions and instructions from the OEM CS-expert system.

If anybody is looking to dive into Linux and Ubuntu, I recommend System76. Their customer support is the best value.

boarderpatrol
January 26th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I can recommend them. I had a hardware problem. (video card burned out).
about 1 month after I bought a wild dog from them. System 76 was very good
to deal with and worked with me to resolve my problem.

glacialfury
January 29th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I purchased a System76 Serval laptop about half a year ago. Not only has "Support" from the company - primarily thomasaaron - phenomenal, the System76 community in this forum is remarkably polite, patient, and wonderful to newer Linux users.

Every question I've posted in the "regular" Ubuntu forums has comes back with answers so far off the mark I hesitate posting there. Every question I've asked here has been answered promptly, correctly, and at a level I can use. This applies to questions specific to my system as well as general Linux questions.

I had many of the same questions when I first considered a System76 computer. I made my decision to purchase one on the tone and quality of these forums, particularly the voluminous support offered by Mr. Aaron. I have never regretted either the laptop or the community.

jpoRS
January 30th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I can't say enough about System76. The hardware is top shelf, in every way I have experienced it is comparable or better any big box manufacturer, and at a much better price. I doubt that I would have been able to get as good a computer for what I paid anywhere else.

As for support, Mr. Aaron is probably the busiest person on the Internet. I have yet to see a problem he can't solve, help you solve, or at least help you understand why it isn't solved (yet). As you've seen in this post, if you pose a question here, he will answer it quickly and (most importantly) with helpful information.

I have no hesitation recommending System76 to anyone.

Good luck,
jim