PDA

View Full Version : Suggest uses for a spare computer!

hoboken
January 23rd, 2009, 04:47 PM
Here are the specs:

laptop
2.4ghz pentium 4, only 512kb l2 cache though
256mb ram (max 1gig)
30 gig HD
no wifi
usb 1.1.. and no pcmcia
svideo out
floppy and cd drive

Somewhat old but this thing has an amazing processor for its age. I was going to slap a gig of ram in there and use it to make music (current rig is only 1.5ghz!, but my audio interface demands usb 2.0. Such a shame.

Give me some suggestions, I don't want this laptop to go to waste!

smbm
January 23rd, 2009, 05:12 PM
Get a PCI USB2 card.

EDIT: Sorry, just saw it was a laptop. Sorry.

Coreigh
January 23rd, 2009, 05:16 PM
Suggestion for a use? Send it to me!! I'll find something to do with it!

Oh and by the by, That is plenty powerful to do just about anything, yes add some RAM but after that go for it.

lykwydchykyn
January 23rd, 2009, 05:18 PM
Suggestion for a use? Send it to me!! I'll find something to do with it!

Oh and by the by, That is plenty powerful to do just about anything, yes add some RAM but after that go for it.
Heh you beat me to it.

Why not stick edubuntu on it and bless some deserving child in your life with an educational tool?

Maheriano
January 23rd, 2009, 05:20 PM
Put it in your car to run all your media to a touchscreen.

hoboken
January 23rd, 2009, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I know, it sucks. My other laptop is an LG LS50 with pentium M (banias), I guess trying to shoehorn in the northwood pentium 4 would be asking a bit much?

hoboken
January 23rd, 2009, 05:23 PM
hehe, thanks for suggestions. I'll give it away if I find somebody in need.

No car, but I'm considering turning it into a media box. USB1 strikes again though... will it be horrible trying to watch a movie that's on an external HD that can only send info at 12mbps?

lykwydchykyn
January 23rd, 2009, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I know, it sucks. My other laptop is an LG LS50 with pentium M (banias), I guess trying to shoehorn in the northwood pentium 4 would be asking a bit much?

Well... how are you with a soldering iron?

Dragonbite
January 23rd, 2009, 06:07 PM
Looks better than my current rig.

If it has a built-in NIC and can put a PCMCIA card NIC in the same system you can make it a proxy server or even content filter (if that is of any interest).

Or if it has wireless then set it up with Fedora and make it into a Wireless access point (a neat feature Fedora added to Network manager).

Combine it with a battery backup for the modem and then even if you loose power to the house you will have internet access for however long the batteries last!

Make it into a kickin' digital frame? Heck, it could be a digital frame that received the image files from your server wirelessly and even plays video clips (or auto-updates the image every minute and each image is an image of a clock, so it because a digital clock!)

Web/Music/Backup server? Handy thing is you have a built-in battery backup system! :)

If you have a good server, set it up as a portable thin client!

hoboken
January 23rd, 2009, 06:23 PM
I'm digging the wireless access point idea but this thing has no wireless and no battery life left! No PCMCIA either, otherwise I'd make it USB2 and use it as my main rig. It's technically better than my current rig too, but USB2 is a must!

Well... how are you with a soldering iron?

if it can be done I'll do it. Can it be done? :D

lykwydchykyn
January 23rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
Hmm.... no, doesn't look like it. Different sockets. (pentium m = socket 479, pentium 4 = socket 478 )

I'm not sure a human can solder those points, anyway.

hoboken
January 23rd, 2009, 07:31 PM
I gave your blog a visit, BTW. Loved the entry on the text-adventure command line..

> Look
It's too dark to see! You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

>Become root
What is the password?
>> *****
You are now root! The room lights up.

LOL, genius, somebody really needs to do this!

glotz
January 23rd, 2009, 08:47 PM
Here's a couple of suggestions.
http://www.dailycupoftech.com/2007/09/17/put-that-old-computer-to-good-use/
http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/03/16/ten-things-you-can-do-keep-an-old-computer-useful/

wolfen69
January 23rd, 2009, 08:55 PM
torrent slave. you could help seed .iso's for smaller distros. as long as you get unlimited bandwidth of course.