PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] iTunes for Ubuntu

keenboy
January 23rd, 2009, 04:22 PM
Hello,

Just a question. I don't suppose anybody knows if Apple are ever going to port iTunes to Ubuntu?

I realise there are other application available which do similar things as iTunes on the Ubuntu platform, I'm just curious.

I have migrated a lot of windows users to Ubuntu and the majority love it. But now I'm getting people asking me how they get iTunes to work. I have tried using wine but it only uses an old version and runs extremely slowly, I've also showed them through gtk-pod and banshee both of which aren't a scratch on Apple's creation.

My concern is this. In my opinion Ubuntu needs to appeal to 16-30 year olds in order to grab a large share of the market. These people use their computers to manage their ipods and poke each other on facebook. Although the poking can still be done in Ubuntu, ipod management that people are used to cannot.

I see this as a huge stumbling block for Ubuntu if iTunes is not made available in the same way as it is for Windows.

I would be interested to hear some views or maybe information.

Thanks

ChimpofDOOM
January 23rd, 2009, 04:49 PM
I doubt Apple will ever port itunes over to Linux.

Personally I prefer banshee over itunes anyway, I have a massive music collection and "back in the days" when I used itunes, it would constantly crash, i would need an account for album art.
Were as good ol' Banshee just does it for you.

My concern is this. In my opinion Ubuntu needs to appeal to 16-30 year olds in order to grab a large share of the market. These people use their computers to manage their ipods and poke each other on facebook. Although the poking can still be done in Ubuntu, ipod management that people are used to cannot.

I see this as a huge stumbling block for Ubuntu if iTunes is not made available in the same way as it is for Windows.

I would be interested to hear some views or maybe information.

Thanks

Fair enough, it could be a concern, but you know, some people will work with whats available, others will not. Back when I decided to switch to Linux, I was a little miffed about what I could do and couldn't compared to windows, but overtime, I found new tools that would do the same job.

I've managed to get a couple of friends to switch over, at first there were teething problems (especially with the ipod), but over time they've gotten better and they love Ubuntu!

Like the borg, they adapted ;)

XE3X
January 23rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
Try songbird and install iPod Device Support, i tried a lot of programs on linux and songbird is by far the best.

The only reason I started using linux is because my cousin wanted to try it out, and we really liked it.

Long live Ubuntu.

icanfly0307
January 23rd, 2009, 08:17 PM
Of course, you could try to "install" iTunes under Ubuntu with WINE. Not the best way though. Like others said, stick with RhythmBox or Banshee. Both of them have iPod support...