PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Buffer I/O Error

Psyrus
January 23rd, 2009, 03:43 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to do a clean install of Intrepid Desktop on a machine. I get to the boot screen and select either to run the disc live, or to install. In both instances the install appears to begin, but then gets stuck with an error(which repeats itself, only the the values change) which states:

[number]Buffer I/O error on device sr0, sector number
[number]end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, logical block number

The image is good. I used it to install the system I'm currently working on. Is this error associated with a badly copied disc, or with a hardware error?

Thanks in advance for any help!

overdrank
January 23rd, 2009, 04:48 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to do a clean install of Intrepid Desktop on a machine. I get to the boot screen and select either to run the disc live, or to install. In both instances the install appears to begin, but then gets stuck with an error(which repeats itself, only the the values change) which states:

[number]Buffer I/O error on device sr0, sector number
[number]end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, logical block number

The image is good. I used it to install the system I'm currently working on. Is this error associated with a badly copied disc, or with a hardware error?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi and could be a bad burn, You can check the cd for errors. Is this a older system it may have a bad drive.

Psyrus
January 27th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I've already swapped out drives(without any noticeable change), and tested the disc on another pc(boots up fine). But I'll try another drive or two. Could it be the display card? I'll swap that out too.

Psyrus
January 28th, 2009, 09:10 AM
swapping out the display card seems to have alleviated part of the problem, but not all. Not getting quite as many errors. Still need to get another cd drive. I've also burned another copy of Ubuntu. I'm able to use the live cd, and am busy installing now. Let's see what happens.