PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu book!

Kurt Dodrill
December 17th, 2005, 05:24 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590596277/qid=1134793154/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-7220403-6608723?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/1590596277/ref=dp_image_0/104-7220403-6608723?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=507846&s=books

I think Ill be picking up a copy when it comes out!

Noah0504
December 17th, 2005, 05:30 AM
I came across that the other day. Too bad it comes out in March. I want a copy today!

bored2k
December 17th, 2005, 05:36 AM
It's incredible what people do to milk the cow. It's not like any good Linux book (based on a debian-based distro if you'd like) would lack whatever's in there. Plus, it will be based on Breezy, one month before Dapper is released.

My player-hatin' advice? If you want real and update Ubuntu information/help, use the forums, the wiki and the storage facility. They are all free and most likely much better than that.

Kurt Dodrill
December 17th, 2005, 05:37 AM
yeah, they have all these books on suse, fedora, etc...its about time they recognize the most popular linux distro.

BWF89
December 17th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Theres alot of books allready out dealing with Debian Linux.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search/103-2982522-4219051?field-keywords=Debian&mode=blended&tag=mozilla-20&sourceid=Mozilla-search

Couldn't you pick one of those up and expect Ubuntu be 99% similar?

Kurt Dodrill
December 17th, 2005, 05:48 AM
You probably could, but maybe some people want it distro specific. true you can find almost everything you want, like on the forums, but personally its nice to have a paper copy for quick reference (like Linux in a Nutshell)...unless you are a guru and have all the commands memorized.

bored2k
December 17th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Like BWF89 said, there is nothing that book could have that lacks on a good debian book. Ubuntu doesn't really has anything vital (if anything) that Debian lacks. If anything, I would recommend one of the debian books from BWF89's link.

And one more thing, remember Ubuntu wants to be as friendly as possible, so a book that teaches about terminal usage is not really an Ubuntu book at all. It would just be a "Gnome workaround" book.
If you just wants to learn a few not really hard commands using a good overall book, get books like Linux in a nutshell.

aysiu
December 17th, 2005, 06:08 AM
It's incredible what people do to milk the cow. It's not like any good Linux book (based on a debian-based distro if you'd like) would lack whatever's in there. Plus, it will be based on Breezy, one month before Dapper is released. That's how books always are, especially at the pace Linux develops. How many people are still installing Red Hat 9 because they got it from some book? Early in my Linux journey, I picked up a copy of Point-and-Click Linux that had an outdated version of Mepis, but it was still helpful to me in understanding some basic Mepis concepts.

I think a Breezy book would be great as long as it's supplemented by online support.

bored2k
December 17th, 2005, 06:12 AM
That's how books always are, especially at the pace Linux develops. How many people are still installing Red Hat 9 because they got it from some book? Early in my Linux journey, I picked up a copy of Point-and-Click Linux that had an outdated version of Mepis, but it was still helpful to me in understanding some basic Mepis concepts.

I think a Breezy book would be great as long as it's supplemented by online support.
Yes, I'm sure now Linux book can catch up, but if Dapper will be half as good as it is supposed to be, I think it would make a real difference (CLI-->GUI install? / Easier GUI dpkg? / Vast GUI tools?).

Although I'm biased into thinking the book won't be that great, only time will tell.

One thing's for certain, it better mention us ;)!

I'm sure that if the book were Ubuntu for dummies, it would have a link to at least one of your essays under the "technical stuff you don't necessarily need to know" ;).

bionnaki
December 17th, 2005, 10:50 AM
I think it's great that a ubuntu book is out - means more new people trying out ubuntu or linux. how is that not a great thing?

LinuxSwede
December 17th, 2005, 11:00 AM
It's incredible what people do to milk the cow. It's not like any good Linux book (based on a debian-based distro if you'd like) would lack whatever's in there. Plus, it will be based on Breezy, one month before Dapper is released.

My player-hatin' advice? If you want real and update Ubuntu information/help, use the forums, the wiki and the storage facility. They are all free and most likely much better than that.

If you want doc, it's available en masse on the web, on man pages and so on, if you still find trouble, there are about 15 million linux forums.