PDA

View Full Version : Food insomnia???

dnRoyston
January 23rd, 2009, 08:53 AM
Anyone else do this? I will eat nothing during the day, then eat 3 meals throughout the night. It causes sleeping problems, and people often wonder why I'm eating waffles at 11:00 at night.

jrusso2
January 23rd, 2009, 08:56 AM
That's probably the worst way to eat. You need the energy during the day. Your stomach is digesting all that food and your trying to sleep.

No wonder you have insomnia.

Eat at least 3 times a day all before 7 pm.

jeyaganesh
January 23rd, 2009, 09:22 AM
Irregular eating may lead to diabetes. Eat properly at regular time. If you are lazy or not feeling to eat at particular time, at least eat some fruits and drink fruit juice. Dont drink artificial drinks like coke/pepsi.:popcorn:

etnlIcarus
January 23rd, 2009, 10:52 AM
It's called Night Eating Syndrome. It can usually be fixed by forcing yourself to eat a decent breakfast, which then adjusts the rest of your mealtimes.

Also good to figure out what your triggers are (sugar? fat? caffeine?) and indulge them a couple of hours before you go to bed at night. That way, you don't get out of bed in a half-asleep state and keep eating whatever you can find until you hit the right spot.

dnRoyston
January 23rd, 2009, 03:51 PM
It's called Night Eating Syndrome. It can usually be fixed by forcing yourself to eat a decent breakfast, which then adjusts the rest of your mealtimes.

Also good to figure out what your triggers are (sugar? fat? caffeine?) and indulge them a couple of hours before you go to bed at night. That way, you don't get out of bed in a half-asleep state and keep eating whatever you can find until you hit the right spot.
I was wondering if anyone else had it, but hey, that works! :D

I am probably the worst eater you'll ever meet (Diet literally consists of Diet Cola, Waffles, Eggs, and the occasional peanut butter and jelly bagel)

chucky chuckaluck
January 23rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
there's a diet called 'the warrior diet' on which you eat nothing, or very little (couple of pieces of fruit, maybe) during the day and eat a huge meal at night. eating normally sounds like a bit of a stretch for you, so that might be a nice compromise. moving to china is the only other suggestion i have.

etnlIcarus
January 24th, 2009, 03:31 AM
I am probably the worst eater you'll ever meet (Diet literally consists of Diet Cola, Waffles, Eggs, and the occasional peanut butter and jelly bagel)

I'm not in a position to judge. I've got numerous health problems and one of the side-effects of those health problems is extreme lethargy. I can't stand around a kitchen for 1/2 an hour 3 times a day, let alone work or do much exercise so I tend to go for the easiest possible meals: 2 minute noodles, microwave bags of rice, toast/sandwiches and cous cous. I live off carbs and do nothing to burn off the fat, while I don't eat a lot of meat or dairy as that makes me even more sluggish. I also can't eat breakfast because of one of my other health problems so my meal times tend to be 12, 5 and 10pm, with snacks or softdrink in-between as I can't even go 5 hours without getting low blood sugar and feeling like I'm going to pass out. I also tend to have something small just before I go to bed so I don't wake up at 5am in a cold sweat due to low blood sugar, as well as having a shot of caffeine a couple of hours before going to bed to improve my quality of sleep (caffeine to help sleep; sounds odd, I know).

Of course all that doesn't help my overall condition so it's very much a vicious cycle.

dnRoyston
January 24th, 2009, 04:16 AM
I'm not in a position to judge. I've got numerous health problems and one of the side-effects of those health problems is extreme lethargy. I can't stand around a kitchen for 1/2 an hour 3 times a day, let alone work or do much exercise so I tend to go for the easiest possible meals: 2 minute noodles, microwave bags of rice, toast/sandwiches and cous cous. I live off carbs and do nothing to burn off the fat, while I don't eat a lot of meat or dairy as that makes me even more sluggish. I also can't eat breakfast because of one of my other health problems so my meal times tend to be 12, 5 and 10pm, with snacks or softdrink in-between as I can't even go 5 hours without getting low blood sugar and feeling like I'm going to pass out. I also tend to have something small just before I go to bed so I don't wake up at 5am in a cold sweat due to low blood sugar, as well as having a shot of caffeine a couple of hours before going to bed to improve my quality of sleep (caffeine to help sleep; sounds odd, I know).

Of course all that doesn't help my overall condition so it's very much a vicious cycle.
One of the reasons I don't stop with how I eat is because I've been doing it for years with no real effects on my body. I'm still healthy (according to my doctor), and I still stand in at a healthy 6' @ 200lbs (muscle, not fat).

Thing is, is there cases of people like me, or do I have to get $10,000 tests to see how messed up I REALLY am?

etnlIcarus
January 24th, 2009, 04:33 AM
I don't want to say, "you're probably fine", and reassure you that your lifestyle is sustainable but there's always people who 'beat the system'. eg people who smoke a pack a day, live 'til 95 and die of something completely unrelated or morbidly obese people who are, according to all the test, perfectly healthy apart from a bit of strain on their back/knees.

Hell, I've got two older siblings who won't even touch anything green (my sister literally picks the peas out of fried rice) and both weigh a lot more than me but I've got the majority of health problems amongst us.

yuku-aki
January 24th, 2009, 05:56 AM
You'll be ok. It's most likely just your blood sugar upsetting your insulin levels a bit that's making you all insomniatic. I'm similar, in that I usually won't eat until at least 5pm, and sometimes my last meal is into the later hours of the morning. It's not horrible for you, as your body utilizes nutrients similarly throughout the day, but what you're doing is "fueling your fire" and therefore upping your metabolism, before you sleep. This can be good or bad. You'll burn more calories while sleeping that way, but you'll also reduce your chances of feeling tired when it's bedtime, and awake in the day.

Before you're all, "who the heck is this random girl to tell me this, anyway?" I'll be a Nutrition and Dietetics major at the U of M starting in the Fall. At the moment I'm finishing up my AAS in Culinary with a strong background in biological science and holistic health, so I'm not a total n00b to the subject.

etnlIcarus
January 24th, 2009, 06:05 AM
biological science and holistic healthMy mind is officially blown. I've never even heard (read) those words uttered in the same sentence before.

yuku-aki
January 24th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Yeah, but like my current GHHA instructor says, placebos have their place in medical science. If it works, and it won't harm you, you might as well use it.

etnlIcarus
January 24th, 2009, 07:13 AM
I wasn't implying a slight against alternative medicines (that's a subject best left for another thread), I'm just surprised to see someone taking those two subjects.