PDA

View Full Version : I dont link this Linux V WIndows debate but I was thinking?

ade234uk
January 23rd, 2009, 07:32 AM
One of the reasons I use Ubuntu Is because I do have some feelings for the enviroment. On the radio last night they where talking about water, and by 2020 40% of the worlds population will be short. I don't know who to believe but it's a scary thought?

They also talked about how much water is used to clean components for them. I forgot the figure they banded, but it was a lot.

Whilst Microsoft & Mac require bigger and better components to run their latest OS, which adds to waste and water, I am sure you will still be able to happily run the latest Ubuntu on a machine that is 5-10 years old.

Also with economy the way it is, people are also tightening their belts, this includes new computers as well, so this is good for Ubuntu / Linux all round.

jrusso2
January 23rd, 2009, 07:36 AM
I am sure the water they use in making computers is recycled and not lost.

cmay
January 23rd, 2009, 07:44 AM
thanks a lot for this tread. i share your points of view and i try to do all i can to fix older computers as a unpaid hobby exactly because i know this problem you mention to be true. i used to work in a recycle center before i got sick. you should see what people trash. if you look at my pictures albums you can see the computers i made from trashed parts and use myself. one picture is however the very first computer i ever owned. it is now 14 years old i think.
i wish you good luck with what ever is in your path as of right now.
regards cmay.

eragon100
January 23rd, 2009, 07:50 AM
Yes, you can use ubuntu on a 5 year old computer (not a 10 year old one.)

However, you will not be able to play games, probably not even most open-source ones. So I upgrade my computer every year. I don't throw away the old components, I give them to somebody else. My classmate was very happy with my 512 MB GeForce 7 7500 GT I gave him. (it had only 64 mb own memory, rest was turbocache, so it sucked. I know have a 512 mb dedicated GeForce 8 8600 GT, and it's about 4 to 6 times faster in all games.)

wolfen69
January 23rd, 2009, 07:58 AM
Yes, you can use ubuntu on a 5 year old computer (not a 10 year old one.)

not quite true. you could do a cli and put openbox on it. but i agree, regular ubuntu needs at least 256mb and 6-700mhz to run even halfway decent.

i think alot of the waste these days is a product of greed.

dnRoyston
January 23rd, 2009, 08:15 AM
Hey look, and enviroment thread! I'm going to enjoy this :popcorn: