PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes paypal frusterates me.

xequence
December 17th, 2005, 03:44 AM
I want to sign up for hosting at godaddy. I have a paypal account, I put things in the cart, then check out. I go to the paypal site and log in, but it wont let me pay for the hosting. I had already verified a bank account, but it wants me to verify a credit card account so I can use my bank account to pay. I email them and I get an e-mail two weeks later saying they are sorry they took so long to reply, nothing else.

So I got an idea. It also has an option not to log in and do "Dont have an account? You can still pay by bank or credit card". I click that, and it wants me to put in my bank account info. The trouble is, it doesent give me enough room to put in the bank card number.

mstlyevil
December 17th, 2005, 03:49 AM
I don't have a credit card or debit card because I tend to get in trouble with them. I set up a Paypal account to purchase items at Newegg.com. Even after the account was verified, Paypal would not let me send an E-Check, so I had to transfer money into my PP account. It took a week for the money to post and one of the Items I wanted was no longer listed a Newegg. Another item went up in price by 10 dollars. I was extremely preturbed by this.

xequence
December 17th, 2005, 03:51 AM
I don't have a credit card or debit card because I tend to get in trouble with them. I set up a Paypal account to purchase items at Newegg.com. Even after the account was verified, Paypal would not let me send an E-Check, so I had to transfer money into my PP account. It took a week for the money to post and one of the Items I wanted was no longer listed a Newegg. Another item went up in price by 10 dollars. I was extremely preturbed by this.

I cant have a credit card, as I am not old enough for one. I got my parents to make a paypal account so I could use it, as they also dont let people under 18 have accounts.

mstlyevil
December 17th, 2005, 03:55 AM
I cant have a credit card, as I am not old enough for one. I got my parents to make a paypal account so I could use it, as they also dont let people under 18 have accounts.

I wished I wasn't old enough to have a Credit card or bank account. ;)

xmastree
December 17th, 2005, 04:10 AM
Why godaddy? I tried them once, useless bunch. I wanted to registed a domain name, and godaddy was recomended to me. Sure, the name was registered, but I couldn't do anything with it, such as point it to my webspace, or forward emails.
Nothing on their website about how to do it, no response to emails asking for tech support either.
All I managed to do was make sure nobody else could use th name.

As for paypal, I wish they were available here...

matthew
December 17th, 2005, 04:10 AM
PayPal froze my account a few years ago when I tried to access it from North Africa. "Fraud prevention." THe only thing was, they wouldn't let me do anything to prove my identity. I couldn't call because they only gave me an 800 number that was inaccessible for me at the time (well, extremely difficult anyway). My emails were replied to with completely unhelpful and downright rude answers.

I even offered to fax copies of my passport and local residence card (both with photos) and one showing my North African address as I had done with an online retailer in the UK when I ordered online using a credit card that had a U.S. address and was shipping to North Africa, they wanted nothing to do with it.

Finally, I asked them to just close the account (which, thankfully, had less than $5 in it) and they refused. They told me it would be frozen forever with no way to unfreeze it or close it...some BS about needing it as evidence. Granted, this was about 6 months after 9/11 but I still found the whole process less than pleasing.

WildTangent
December 17th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Paypal is a huge waste of time in my opinion, it's so unreliable, and many retailers don't want anything to do with it.

-Wild

ninotob
December 17th, 2005, 04:31 AM
If you just want to purchase the random thing, why not try one of those prepaid gift visa/mastercards -- I see them in the checkout at my local drug store -- never tried them but it seems like it would be akin to paypal bank withdrawals because you have to have the money in your account already. Thus, no problems w/ getting in debt or overdrawing your bank account w/ a debit card. Anyway, something to look into at least ... I can't say if they work well one way or the other having not used them.

mstlyevil
December 17th, 2005, 07:05 AM
If you just want to purchase the random thing, why not try one of those prepaid gift visa/mastercards -- I see them in the checkout at my local drug store -- never tried them but it seems like it would be akin to paypal bank withdrawals because you have to have the money in your account already. Thus, no problems w/ getting in debt or overdrawing your bank account w/ a debit card. Anyway, something to look into at least ... I can't say if they work well one way or the other having not used them.

I have been seriously considering this option myself.

xequence
December 17th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Ive been considering getting my parents to get a new credit card with a small limit, enough to pay for hosting.

What hosting sites do you consider to be better then godaddy?

majikstreet
December 17th, 2005, 09:27 PM
there are tons of hosting sites available... I've had personal experience with www.mysitespace.com , but they seem to be too big now.. I've looked at www.dreamhost.com , www.surpasshosting.com , and www.hostgator.com ... just make sure to always check reviews..

www.paypalsucks.com

Surpass Hosting seems to be the best- they have a nice forum community, too.

xequence
December 17th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Cheapest plans:
Godaddy: Just $3.95/mo - 5,000 MB Space - 250 GB Transfer
mysitespace: 4.44/mo - 500MB Disk Space - 6GB Monthly Transfer
hostgator: 6.86/mo paid yearly - 3.5gb space - 50 gb bandwidth
dreamhost - 7.95 monthly - 4.8 GB space - 120gb bandwidth
surpass hosting - 6$/mo - 3 GB of Disk Space - 50 gb bandwidth

Godaddy has the best of them all... By far.