PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 8.04.2 Released

wolfen69
January 23rd, 2009, 04:24 AM
"The Ubuntu team is proud to announce the release of Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS, the second maintenance update to Ubuntu's 8.04 LTS release. This release includes updated server, desktop, and alternate installation CDs for the i386 and amd64 architectures. In all, over 200 updates have been integrated, and updated installation media has been provided so that fewer updates will need to be downloaded after installation. These include security updates and corrections for other high-impact bugs, with a focus on maintaining stability and compatibility with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

Ubuntu Desktop Live CD (http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04.2/ubuntu-8.04.2-desktop-i386.iso.torrent)

it's about time. this will save alot of time for installs.

Grant A.
January 23rd, 2009, 04:27 AM
8.04.1 won't automatically go to 8.04.2 via the Update-Manager?

This is quite interesting for an LTS release, Dapper was left in the dust when Edgy came out.

bsharp
January 23rd, 2009, 04:36 AM

It will. Just did it on my laptop, desktop, and server.

kaldor
January 23rd, 2009, 04:40 AM
This is odd. For the last month or so, I boot up Ubuntu and notice that it is listed as version 8.04.2... does anyone else have this as well?

Polygon
January 23rd, 2009, 05:35 AM
its just so you can download the ISO and have all of the updates already installed rather then having to download 300 or so when you first install it. if you run update manager, you already are at 8.04.2

wolfen69
January 23rd, 2009, 05:39 AM

all current Hardy users just need to keep the system updated to have "8.04.2". but having a point release will make it convenient for new users and people like me who are always installing on different machines. plus, the computer will run better from the start, giving it a good foundation. 200+ updates integrated and ready to go is a good thing. i like they way they are handling Hardy with point releases.

wolfen69
January 23rd, 2009, 06:07 AM
if you take a close look at the Change Summary (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardyReleaseNotes/ChangeSummary/8.04.2), you will see that Hardy .2 is more than just updates and fixes. they have also incorporated (backported) a bunch of new drivers for wifi and 3G. hardy is turning out to be sweet.

gcvisel
January 23rd, 2009, 06:13 AM
"The Ubuntu team is proud to announce the release of Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS, the second maintenance update to Ubuntu's 8.04 LTS release. This release includes updated server, desktop, and alternate installation CDs for the i386 and amd64 architectures. In all, over 200 updates have been integrated, and updated installation media has been provided so that fewer updates will need to be downloaded after installation. These include security updates and corrections for other high-impact bugs, with a focus on maintaining stability and compatibility with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

Ubuntu Desktop Live CD (http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04.2/ubuntu-8.04.2-desktop-i386.iso.torrent)

it's about time. this will save alot of time for installs.

What am I missing here? I am running Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex." Why is LTS a change back? Should I "revert" to the LTS version?

Thanks.

wolfen69
January 23rd, 2009, 06:55 AM
What am I missing here? I am running Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex." Why is LTS a change back? Should I "revert" to the LTS version?

Thanks.
you're not missing much if everything works for you.
if Ibex works good for you, stay with it. but it might not hurt to have a copy of 8.04.2 around.

dnRoyston
January 23rd, 2009, 07:00 AM
That's great they're still working on Hardy, but I'm sticking with Intrepid :)

I love how Ubuntu give LTS a real meaning, though.

23meg
January 23rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
This is quite interesting for an LTS release, Dapper was left in the dust when Edgy came out.

Not (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2006-August/000088.html) really (http://www.ubuntu.com/news/lts-6.06.2).

darrenn
January 23rd, 2009, 09:59 AM
Awesome! I thought this wasn't coming out until april. I have been waiting to download this. All I have is a beta copy of hardy and I hate installing tons of updates after you do a fresh install.

jomiolto
January 23rd, 2009, 10:15 AM
Hardy has turned out to be a really great release for me, despite some initial problems right after the release. In Intrepid I get lots of problems with audio and some crashes with random apps, and it also hogs awful amounts of memory, but Hardy has been rock solid for last several months and everything just works brilliantly. That's why I'm still using Hardy as my main distro :KS

(Jaunty alphas seem even more amazing, though, and I'm probably going to switch to it as soon as the final release comes out...)

wolfen69
January 23rd, 2009, 07:39 PM
i'm so glad this came out. i have to do an ubuntu install for someone today, ($120 :-) ) and this will save ALOT of time. nice.