PDA

View Full Version : TV display slightly off-centre

4ebees
January 23rd, 2009, 02:44 AM
Hi all,

The display on my TV is slight off centre - to the left and down slightly.

I'm not quite certain who to resolve this.

Any assistance would be most appreciated - and directions to threads I've missed will be gratefully accepted :)

Thanks to anyone who can help.

I have the following hardware:

P4 3Ghz
1.4G RAM
160G and 500G HDD
Two PVR-150 Hauppauge tuners (though I think I've been sold a dud on one of them)
nVidia 128Mb RAM MX4000

TEAC TV - big bugger CRT

PAL (Australia) input

I get video to the telly through an s-video cable from the nVidia card to the RCA adapters on the telly. Sound is by an audio cable from the onboard sound-card to the RCA inputs on the telly.

Most things seem to be working well, so I'll break my other questions up into other, more relevant threads.

GCFreak
January 23rd, 2009, 03:49 AM
Frontend -> Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> Screen Setup Wizards

4ebees
January 23rd, 2009, 04:28 AM

Thanks.

I'll give that a go.

One thing I've just noticed (my kids are playing the PlayStation :))

When the initial screen for the PS come up, it's in the same position as the myth screen. When the game starts, it takes up the whole screen...which Myth doesn't.

I'll check out your suggestion and get back.

Ta.

GCFreak
January 23rd, 2009, 04:46 AM
Setting the computer to a different resolution may help too, because different TVs handle resolutions differently. PlayStation games sometimes use different resolutions from other PlayStation games (and the BIOS), so yeah, go figure.

4ebees
January 23rd, 2009, 05:12 AM

Hi GCFreak,

Your suggestion combined with the overscanner function in the nVidia config GUI, I've managed to reduce the skewing considerably.

I'm going to keep working on it to see if I can remove it completely.

I might change the resolution (make it higher) and use the two functions to see if that improves it.

Thanks very much.

BTW where are the little 'medals' the indicate you can 'thank' someone...am I having hallucinations? I'm sure they were on this site.

:popcorn:

4ebees
January 23rd, 2009, 05:23 AM
Setting the computer to a different resolution may help too, because different TVs handle resolutions differently. PlayStation games sometimes use different resolutions from other PlayStation games (and the BIOS), so yeah, go figure.

Cross-over post :)

As this is a fairly ordinary CRT telly, would you say lower resolutions like 800x600?

GCFreak
January 23rd, 2009, 05:56 AM
Fellow CRT SDTV user here would say 800x600 is the preferred resolution for the desktop (I have to use 1024x768 due to flicker issues on my TV), but for actually watching video and stuff I would bring it lower, down to 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL) whichever standard you use =P PAL/NTSC are resolutions you should be sure your TV can show correctly.

4ebees
January 23rd, 2009, 08:02 AM
Fellow CRT SDTV user here would say 800x600 is the preferred resolution for the desktop (I have to use 1024x768 due to flicker issues on my TV), but for actually watching video and stuff I would bring it lower, down to 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL) whichever standard you use =P PAL/NTSC are resolutions you should be sure your TV can show correctly.

How do you create a PAL 720x576 resolution like that? I can understand how to change the desktop resolution but how would you do it for the on-screen resolution for the telly?