PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot use make

atwin
January 23rd, 2009, 02:15 AM
Hello,

I am trying to install a program and I am getting the following error after I execute ./configure

configure: error: cannot find libreadline headers

I also can't execute the commands make and gmake!!! How can I install these missing libraries! I can't find their proper names!

Thanks in advance for your help,

atwin

taurus
January 23rd, 2009, 02:56 AM
What program are you trying to install?

lloyd_b
January 23rd, 2009, 03:07 AM
Hello,

I am trying to install a program and I am getting the following error after I execute ./configure

configure: error: cannot find libreadline headers

I also can't execute the commands make and gmake!!! How can I install these missing libraries! I can't find their proper names!

Thanks in advance for your help,

atwin

First step. In a terminal window:

sudo apt-get install build-essential
This should get you all of the basic tools required to compile programs, including make.

Second step - In a terminal window again:

sudo apt-get install libreadline5-dev
This should install the development headers for the readline library, which is what it appears to be missing.

Do not be surprised if after installing this, the "./configure" errors out on a completely different library - it may take several "rinse and repeats" to get all the of requirements met (I *wish* a configure program could check for everything at once, instead of erroring out after the first "not found", but unfortunately they generally don't).

atwin
January 23rd, 2009, 03:28 AM
Nice thanks. It worked. I installed both of those. But I can only use make! Not gmake!? Any ideas? Oh by the way, I am trying to install netmate-meter.

After executing make, I am still getting errors. That's why I want to install with gmake. "Make" failed on FreeBSD but gmake installed the program properly.