PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wallpaper

theozzlives
January 23rd, 2009, 12:21 AM
How do you switch walpaper at random. There's gotta be a program.

gettinoriginal
January 23rd, 2009, 01:18 AM
Here's one for you :p
http://drapes.mindtouchsoftware.com/

2hot6ft2
January 23rd, 2009, 01:30 AM
wallpaper tray

sudo apt-get install wallpaper-trayin a terminal
Applications>Accessories>Terminal
then it will be in
Applications>Graphics>Wallpaper Tray

MikeBrown
January 23rd, 2009, 02:00 AM
Here's a posting on this forum about a similar subject: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=534455

If I remember correctly, wallpaper tray was easier to use than Drapes. Or more preferable to what I wanted.

theozzlives
January 23rd, 2009, 04:26 AM
Wallpaper Tray works good but my text in my panels is red and my panels are trasparent. Any way to change that automagically?

gettinoriginal
January 23rd, 2009, 04:44 AM
You can install "gnome-color-chooser", it allows changing the color of font and background of the panel.

shane2peru
February 8th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Wallpaper-tray seemed to work for me. Although I didn't quite understand it's option of choosing a background folder, and then it would say it didn't have any pictures as backgrounds after I had choosen a directory full of Pictures I use for backgrounds? Odd, any rate after selecting a few backgrounds it worked fine.

Drapes on the other hand didn't work for me. I don't know why, it wouldn't automagically change backgrounds and disappeared from the Notification area. Perhaps you are supposed to put it on the panel, not sure, but it didn't like my setup.

I'm using Ubuntu Intrepid 64bit. All up to date, for the record.

Shane

PS - Gnome desktop. :)

pbotros1234
February 9th, 2009, 03:51 AM
This is a script that I stumbled upon awhile ago that changes your wallpaper to a random wallpaper in a given directory.

#!/usr/bin/env python

BACKGROUND_DIRS = ['~/PATH/TO/WALLPAPERS,~/PATH/TO/WALLPAPERS/2']

import os, glob, random, itertools, gconf, subprocess

files = list(itertools.chain(*[[os.path.join(dirpath, name)
for name in filenames]
for dirpath, dirnames, filenames in
itertools.chain(*[os.walk(os.path.expanduser(d))
for d in BACKGROUND_DIRS])]))
gconf.client_get_default().set_string(
'/desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename',
random.choice(files))

You can have as many directories as you want, just separate by commas. This script makes it perfect to be linked to a keyboard shortcut, so you can change your wallpaper with a random keypress.