PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What would you do?

Secrest
January 22nd, 2009, 09:48 PM
I had a dell core 2 duo e7200, 4gigs of ram and 500g hard drive. I had Ubuntu 8.04 on it by itself, no windows. Sold it and got an Aluminum iMac 7 months ago. My wife didn't feel like she could do as much artistic stuff on linux. Well it turns out she doesn't use the iMac for it either. I want to use Ubuntu again as I loved it. I even got my dad on it because his old gateway was problematic with windows. He hasn't had a single issue since. It's been great for him.

I thought about just selling the iMac and getting another pc and use linux only. There seem to be to many issues with linux and apple hardware. I tried it once and there were a lot of issues that I didn't have with my dell and took it off. I can get a pc with a lot more everything and save a good bit of money and have a few hundred left over after I sell the iMac. I guess I could keep the iMac and give Ubuntu another chance and really try and fix the issues. I think os x is good but I like linux better. I am just torn on what I should do and after a few weeks of thinking I thought that I would ask for opinions on here.

cyberdork33
January 22nd, 2009, 10:35 PM
Give me the iMac, and buy another computer

Secrest
January 22nd, 2009, 10:45 PM
Give me the iMac, and buy another computer

It's already in the mail to you. You should get it on January 32nd.

cyberdork33
January 22nd, 2009, 11:02 PM
awesome. Now I just have to manipulate the calendar system.

Seriously, if you plan to only use Ubuntu, get a different machine. Something a bit more compatible.

Secrest
January 22nd, 2009, 11:30 PM
awesome. Now I just have to manipulate the calendar system.

Seriously, if you plan to only use Ubuntu, get a different machine. Something a bit more compatible.

That's what I was thinking but hate to part with the beautiful iMac. I wish it was more compatible. Looks like a Dell for me.

Brightbelt
January 23rd, 2009, 02:30 AM
I always hate the replies that go like "Well my mac works fine with Ubuntu!!"

But seriously, I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 on the new 24" iMac in a dual-boot - it isn't perfect, but I'm not sure the problems are huge either. The main issue I'm having is with my bluetooth mouse, but it's a microsoft bluetooth mouse, so there ya go, right?

I think that's fixable; I just have to take the time at some point to tackle it and get it paired correctly. There was a problem initially with sound, but it wasn't too time-consuming to fix. There was one line of code to add to a file and that fixed it.

My wireless works well and the ATI accelerated graphics card works fine. Both of those are working through proprietary drivers.

Best of Luck whatever you decide.
Frank B.

hyperboloid
January 23rd, 2009, 11:16 AM
The main issue I'm having is with my bluetooth mouse, but it's a microsoft bluetooth mouse.

There is a known bug with Bluetooth mouse in Intrepid, and an easy workaround: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6086632&postcount=5. Have you tried that yet?

pxwpxw
January 23rd, 2009, 11:48 AM
I always hate the replies that go like "Well my mac works fine with Ubuntu!!"

But seriously, I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 on the new 24" iMac in a dual-boot
My wireless works well and the ATI accelerated graphics card works fine. Both of those are working through proprietary drivers.

Could you say which graphics proprietary drivers?

I have the same, imac8,1 24" with the Radeon HD 2600. So far only using the xorg radeonhd driver.

But its gorgeous in OSX and in Xubuntu, if that helps the OP decision.

Kobalt
January 23rd, 2009, 12:06 PM
You could also use VMWare Fusion and have Ubuntu installed this way, it resolves many hardware compatibility issues. I do it on my MacBook and both OS are very stable and usable at the same time...