PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to add categories into System menu

saltydog
January 22nd, 2009, 07:14 PM
Hi,

I am in the need of adding a new menu item in the "System" menu, just right under the "About Ubuntu" menu entry. Cloning and modifying the ubuntu-about.desktop file doesn't work. There should be a trick to do this.

XanTrax
January 22nd, 2009, 07:24 PM
Hi,

I am in the need of adding a new menu item in the "System" menu, just right under the "About Ubuntu" menu entry. Cloning and modifying the ubuntu-about.desktop file doesn't work. There should be a trick to do this.

I don't know about going as far as underneath the "About Ubuntu" one but you can go to

System -> Preferences -> Main Menu

From inside this application, on the left hand side click "System". Then, click "New Item" on the right. Point it to the command you would like to run. If you would like to make a new menu then click "New Menu" on the right. This will place it right underneath "Administration" in the System menu. I do not know how you could move it though...

saltydog
January 23rd, 2009, 10:07 AM
Thank you Xantrack. It should work, but I need to know how to do it from terminal, as I need to perform the action from a remote connection thru ssh.

XanTrax
January 23rd, 2009, 03:36 PM
Should have figured a community developer would be asking something like that :p.

saltydog
January 23rd, 2009, 03:43 PM
Should have figured a community developer would be asking something like that :p.

Don't really understand what are you meaning. A community developer is not a God that knows everything. Each one is skilled on very specific sessions, and the menu configuration is not mine. ( http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=75 )

XanTrax
January 23rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
Don't really understand what are you meaning. A community developer is not a God that knows everything. Each one is skilled on very specific sessions, and the menu configuration is not mine. ( http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=75 )

Was just saying that a community developer probably would not be asking how to add a menu item from GUI and that I should have assumed you meant via command line :p.

saltydog
January 23rd, 2009, 06:19 PM
Was just saying that a community developer probably would not be asking how to add a menu item from GUI and that I should have assumed you meant via command line :p.

Oh, ok. Sorry for my misunderstanding!
:p