PDA

View Full Version : Linux Compared to Windows 7

Supergoo
January 22nd, 2009, 06:08 PM
You might think this is another lets bash Microsoft thread , but read on. As you know the economy is having a hard time well at least in the united States. People are holding onto stuff longer that includes Computers. As we know and understand Microsoft will introduce a new OS or Lets call it Vista (patched) I know of people who will not buy it because of the cost either they will not have the extra money or they are still running a Machine that is running Xp and in one guy windows98.( And will not run Vista) This is a great time for linux when these machine start to have problems or the people call for you help to find out that it got so much bloatware,virus,ect that it has to be wiped out and reinstalled , thats if they can find the disks, That is the time to encourage people with Linux, Linux will run like a demon on a older machine with plenty of eye candy if they want it, but most of my friends that have older computers are seniors that all they want to do is read email from their family or surf the web to read the news.

Just a thought

Calmatory
January 22nd, 2009, 06:22 PM
Most people don't use Linux because "it's better" or "it's cheaper". They use it because it is Linux.

There is no chance for Linux unless MS decides to open DirectX and Office suite. Will not happen too soon.

TenPlus1
January 22nd, 2009, 06:25 PM
??? Linux already has OpenGL and OpenOffice (which reads MS Office files)...

Each to their own, if you like Windows go for, if you like Linux, kewl...

Am using Ubuntu 8.04 and all is well...

Ub1476
January 22nd, 2009, 06:25 PM
Linux adoption wont be like BOM! everyone uses Linux. It will go slowly and steadily IMHO. However the spark has been lit and the fire only grows quicker and quicker now. :)

Tomatz
January 22nd, 2009, 06:27 PM
Most people don't use Linux because "it's better" or "it's cheaper". They use it because it is Linux.

There is no chance for Linux unless MS decides to open DirectX and Office suite. Will not happen too soon.

Or maybe as linux grows directX and MSO will not be needed ;)

Giant Speck
January 22nd, 2009, 06:30 PM
I dual-boot Linux with Windows not because I'm trying to find a replacement for Windows, or because I like one more than the other, but because it interests me. I like trying out new operating systems just like I like trying out new software for Linux and Windows.

SpenceMakesSense
January 22nd, 2009, 06:36 PM
well heck if theyre just checking email and news they can keep win98. if theyre looking for eye-candy on an old machine some linux distros are pro at that. but if theyre just looking to do simple tasks I would just stick with whatever came with your computer because if your linux install goes wrong in some way its a mess trying to reinstall an older version of windows due to having to find practically every driver online or with disks. Idk its seems like a good point but people are stubborn and afraid of change.

Calmatory
January 22nd, 2009, 06:42 PM
Or maybe as linux grows directX and MSO will not be needed ;)

Will never happen. OpenGL is quite much useless for the big companies. With DirectX you can program the games for Xbox AND Windows. And consoles are the moneymakers, not PC. No reason to take the OpenGL route for niche market, when you can take DirectX and get Xbox market behind you.

Besides, no reason not to use Windows. Changing to Linux based OS costs money for companies.

Milos_SD
January 22nd, 2009, 06:48 PM
And with opengl you can program games for windows, linux, os x and ps3. ;)

Calmatory
January 22nd, 2009, 06:55 PM

True. Still not being used since DirectX is superior when compared to OpenGL. Thus no games for Linux anytime soon.

Even if there were games for Linux, there would be major problems with distributing them and making sure that they work for major distributions and their major versions. Let alone hardware and driver issues, for example graphics drivers are way more mature for Windows.

Linux replacing Windows? Will never happen, that's for sure.
Linux gaining more than 20 % of market share ever? I doubt that.

mips
January 22nd, 2009, 06:56 PM

It's easier with DirectX.

sydbat
January 22nd, 2009, 07:09 PM
True. Still not being used since DirectX is superior when compared to OpenGL. Thus no games for Linux anytime soon.

Even if there were games for Linux, there would be major problems with distributing them and making sure that they work for major distributions and their major versions. Let alone hardware and driver issues, for example graphics drivers are way more mature for Windows.http://www.opengl.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/12/20/future_iphones_to_wield_opencl_acceleration.html - a derivative of OpenGL...

perce
January 22nd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Most people would rather go back to Windows 98 than moving to Linux.

Roasted
January 22nd, 2009, 07:21 PM
Besides, no reason not to use Windows. Changing to Linux based OS costs money for companies.

Yeah. It costed my company about 2.49 for a 5 pack of CD-R's to burn the distro to a CD and boot up to it.

Ouch. Big loss there. ;)

Roasted
January 22nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Most people would rather go back to Windows 98 than moving to Linux.

That's sad if there's people who are willing to go that far. I have a few 98 machines floating around at work. Every time I have to work on them, I want to quit and end my career in technology.

crazyfuturamanoob
January 22nd, 2009, 07:50 PM
Windows has so many viruses, because it's so popular and it has many, many security holes.

But what happens when everybody starts using Linux? All hackers will do so too, and then we need anti-virus software. :(

Linux might be more secure than Windows but everything can be hacked, human beings just can't make perfect software.

Icehuck
January 22nd, 2009, 08:08 PM
Yeah. It costed my company about 2.49 for a 5 pack of CD-R's to burn the distro to a CD and boot up to it.

Ouch. Big loss there. ;)

I take it your company consists of about 5 people. In real companies it costs thousands/millions of dollars because you have train people,develop new applications, change hardware. Or how about hiring temporary people to help with the migration?

joshh88
January 22nd, 2009, 09:16 PM
Maybe all he needed was 5, it's not like windows were you can only install on one machine. With the appropriate amount of time one disc can do many computers. Millions....'eh maybe depends on how many computers. I could understand a couple hundred thousand for training and the installation, but millions. Thats a stretch imo.

Icehuck
January 22nd, 2009, 09:30 PM
Maybe all he needed was 5, it's not like windows were you can only install on one machine. With the appropriate amount of time one disc can do many computers. Millions....'eh maybe depends on how many computers. I could understand a couple hundred thousand for training and the installation, but millions. Thats a stretch imo.

Yes millions, because you have to factor in hardware costs. Servers are not cheap and you are not just shutting down existing servers and reinstalling. You are most likely going to have both systems running at the same time until you migrate to Linux. To give you an idea, there are servers that cost around $200,000. If you have several locations you can see how the cost goes up.

joshh88
January 22nd, 2009, 09:39 PM
I figured we were talking about basic computers being converted over.

Icehuck
January 22nd, 2009, 09:43 PM
I figured we were talking about basic computers being converted over.

He said his company so I took it from the corporate business standpoint. If all you use is a basic spreadsheet and occasionally a word processor then its cheap.

Supergoo
January 22nd, 2009, 09:46 PM
I find alot ot the comments very intrestin, Thanks for the input.
After reading the comments I contacted a friend who was running windowsxp and aske dhim if he wasnted to try it out and give it a go in setting i up, I had a extra Beta Key and burned the 32bit image for him. I dropped it off to him on the way to work and told him to give me a call if he ran into ANY problems. So I go to work and just got his call, everything went smoothly on this older laptop, he stated it ran better then new and was pleased with everything. The Laptop is a old Dell, I think it has 1 gig of memory and a fairly small harddrive. This person is a new person to computers being 60ish , he emails his kids and grandkids and told me he loved how everything just worked. i asked him would he buy it and the answer You bet this is great. He even downloaded a Anitvirus program AVG to be exact, because the OS said he needed on and provided links to some. Boy that was hard. This is what we are facing as Linux a operating system that does what its supposed to and stays out of the way while looking inviting, Yes there are a few Distros that lend well to new people but if we are going to make a effort to show people that Os that is Linux we need more work on the GUI and less command line. GUI's are the future. I am also running the Wondows7 beta and I like it ALOT. will I buy , Yes I will feed Redmond some more of my money. I am running a Hp tx2000 laptop with the beat and it found everything, I tryed Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, and Opensuse and NONE of them even found my wireless card. Thats just sad not to mention other devices like the figure print scanner. But I degress Linux has alot going for it, but it needs work or it will stay a second or third class citzen in the OS market.

shadylookin
January 22nd, 2009, 09:50 PM
Will never happen. OpenGL is quite much useless for the big companies. With DirectX you can program the games for Xbox AND Windows. And consoles are the moneymakers, not PC. No reason to take the OpenGL route for niche market, when you can take DirectX and get Xbox market behind you.

Doesn't the PS3 use opengl? I wouldn't really call them a niche market. Macs are gaining market share as well.

PirateChef
January 22nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
Yes there are a few Distros that lend well to new people but if we are going to make a effort to show people that Os that is Linux we need more work on the GUI and less command line. GUI's are the future. I am also running the Wondows7 beta and I like it ALOT. will I buy , Yes I will feed Redmond some more of my money. I am running a Hp tx2000 laptop with the beat and it found everything, I tryed Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, and Opensuse and NONE of them even found my wireless card. Thats just sad not to mention other devices like the figure print scanner. But I degress Linux has alot going for it, but it needs work or it will stay a second or third class citzen in the OS market.

Sounds like you're contradicting yourself. First you say that there needs to be more work done on the GUI and "less command line", then you say the problem is it doesn't see your wireless card. Compatibility with hardware, such as cards, is "command line" stuff.

Linux should strive for what its users want, not what Windows users want.
For what it's worth, I think that Ubuntu has PLENTY of GUI stuff already. Visual Effects?! Come on!

Supergoo
January 22nd, 2009, 10:55 PM
QUOTE :Sounds like you're contradicting yourself. First you say that there needs to be more work done on the GUI and "less command line", then you say the problem is it doesn't see your wireless card. Compatibility with hardware, such as cards, is "command line" stuff.

For what it's worth, I think that Ubuntu has PLENTY of GUI stuff already. Visual Effects?! Come on!

First please reread the post, forgive the misspelling as I am typing between jobs at work. Well Lets see my laptop did not require me to do anything command line to get it working and my friends older laptop wireless worked perfectly , so you are flawed in your logic as I see it. As far as Ubuntu having alot of Eye candy do this download the free beta of Windows7 or Windows Vista with the service pack and compare a KDE 4 desktop to it heck throw in Beryl and I still think that you will see about the fit and finish. Thanks for your input, The post is not to bash Linux its to promote so free thought about how to improve it for everyday people and not just us people who like to tinker with the system .

wolfen69
January 23rd, 2009, 12:38 AM
Linux has alot going for it, but it needs work or it will stay a second or third class citzen in the OS market.

so what if it does? (stay 2nd or 3rd) is it supposed to validate me as a human being if linux takes over the world?

as far as you spending money on a new OS, go ahead, i've got better things to spend my money on.

if you really wanted to use linux, you would go out and spend 45$ on a new wireless card that works, and not 100-200$ for a new OS.

actually i would go out and buy a laptop with linux preinstalled, but my computing freedom is more important to me than it is to other people i guess.

wolfen69
January 23rd, 2009, 12:44 AM

well said.

i read a comment from a windows user on another board that said: "if i'm going to use linux, it sure as hell better be able to use .exe's, microsoft office, and internet explorer before i use it." WTF?

linux has it's own identity and way of doing things. i like it this way. to hell with market share.

bruce89
January 23rd, 2009, 12:49 AM
I couldn't care less if people don't use Linuxes. It works for me, that's all I care about.

I like to pick through source, so that's my main reason (now).

cariboo
January 23rd, 2009, 12:55 AM
The only way most users will change to Linux is if the computer they buy comes with it preinstalled, the average user can just barely do what they have to in Windows, how can you expect them to install an operating system.

Jim

wolfen69
January 23rd, 2009, 12:58 AM
I couldn't care less if people don't use Linuxes.

good job on getting that phrase right. i'm sick of seeing "i could care less".

bruce89
January 23rd, 2009, 01:00 AM

I try my best to use as much of my brain when writing.

Also, I'm Scottish.

Supergoo
January 23rd, 2009, 02:14 AM
Just a note to end this post, I use linux on one of main machines it has been running well for over a year , I was just trying to point out that with alittle work we could bring more people to Linux. Anyway thanks for all the input.

swoll1980
January 23rd, 2009, 02:46 AM
Don't know much about it, other than the fact that it looks like freespire 2 with a aero-fied kicker background

http://wiki.freespire.org/images/d/d6/Desktop1.png

http://media.arstechnica.com/images/windows7/Windows%20Taskbar%20Previews.png

Nightstrike2009
January 23rd, 2009, 04:20 AM
I am new to Ubuntu Linux 8.10, ( December 2008 ) but have Compiz 3D Desktop running (Its amazing and better than "Aero")and would like to ditch Windows totally for Ubuntu. I use my machine for mainly serious use but I do think that Ubuntu still needs more work on being more user friendly to new users.

The process for installing Nvidia (& presumably ATI) 3D closed-source drivers is a major pain in the **** to new users, I understand Ubuntu cant provide the drivers themselves, but could make a GUI to make it easier for new users to install them.

Using command-lines are a pain and put off a lot of new users, we don't use DOS on Windows and haven't for years, even though its probably not its seen as "Going backwards not forwards" by would be Linux converts.

Video Editing software needs work too, Bluetooth uploads from PC to mobile but not mobile to PC (at least on my PC anyhow) though bluetooth as standard was a nice touch and much better than Windows Xp separate driver installation.

I think Ubuntu is coming on in leaps and bounds and could well replace windows but its a while of yet for most new users, I hope Ubuntu 9.04 solves some of these issues.

With more work more people will convert to Ubuntu Linux, I experimented with Linux before and gave up several years ago but I kept coming back the improvements with Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 have been significant enough to bring me back to try again, keep up the good work.

Skripka
January 23rd, 2009, 05:54 AM
Don't know much about it, other than the fact that it looks like freespire 2 with a aero-fied kicker background

Indeed you don't, they are very different, in conception which that screen cap only hints at--The Win7 toolbar is a fix to the massive mess that was MDI.

For your education:

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/dock-and-windows-7-taskbar.ars

cardinals_fan
January 23rd, 2009, 06:00 AM
The process for installing Nvidia (& presumably ATI) 3D closed-source drivers is a major pain in the **** to new users, I understand Ubuntu cant provide the drivers themselves, but could make a GUI to make it easier for new users to install them.
Restricted Drivers Manager?

BigCityCat
January 23rd, 2009, 06:01 AM
Serious question. Will there be a free Linux distro with touch screen capability and how long before we see it?

SomeGuyDude
January 23rd, 2009, 06:04 AM

I use it because it's better. I can get Windows free from school.

swoll1980
January 23rd, 2009, 06:52 AM
Restricted Drivers Manager?

or envy if you want to go the binary route

dnRoyston
January 23rd, 2009, 07:05 AM
Linux is, in my opinion, a 'silent but deadly' kernel. Not very many people use it, but the people that do are well armed. People won't completely switch to linux. Why? Because Microsoft pays manufacturers to ship their computers with their software. Why can't linux do that? Because we're free.

It is nice though, how people actually have to know what they're doing to switch to linux. We don't have so many people who have no clue what they're doing.

Firestem4
January 23rd, 2009, 09:19 AM

OpenGL may not be nearly as far advanced as DirectX but that does mean it doesn't have a chance. The tech industry is always changing. As well as the consumers who use it. More people are searching for alternatives. I am one of those. I just started using Linux recently and ive been die-hard windows for years. (Compared to Mac's. I hate them...don't ask why.)

And consoles are not truly where the big money is..(Atleast not for microsoft). For microsoft, it is not about the money, its about having people using their products.

I recently read a report that microsofts 3-year extended warranty cost them over 1 billion dollars...That is a lot more than console sales have made.

Most game companies dont see any profit unless their product ships a few million copies. That doesn't happen often because the products being pushed out are, well..crap.

phrostbyte
January 23rd, 2009, 09:31 AM
Yawn another zomg Windows 7 vs Linux debate. Enough already!

Sorry I bumped this thread. :(

Sealbhach
January 23rd, 2009, 11:13 AM

+1.

Why do people get things all scrambled up like that?

Roasted
January 23rd, 2009, 04:30 PM
I am new to Ubuntu Linux 8.10, ( December 2008 ) but have Compiz 3D Desktop running (Its amazing and better than "Aero")and would like to ditch Windows totally for Ubuntu. I use my machine for mainly serious use but I do think that Ubuntu still needs more work on being more user friendly to new users.

Not to be naive, but haven't they done this already? I recall for the last year or two simply having to click on the notification box in the upper right corner and hit "enable" or "active" to enable my graphics card driver. It does the work for me. Then, I just reboot, and the graphics driver is installed. Sounds pretty straight forward to me.

Using command-lines are a pain and put off a lot of new users, we don't use DOS on Windows and haven't for years, even though its probably not its seen as "Going backwards not forwards" by would be Linux converts.

I used to think this too, to be honest. I use a lot of command line stuff in my Linux machine. A lot of it I could do on the GUI, but when you know what the commands are, sometimes it's just easier to hit up the terminal and punch in a couple keys. Also - The majority of the time I use the command line for installations, it's me simply copying + pasting from a tutorial. Not too shabby, in my opinion. Plus, the other ironic part is when I go to work where I find 2k Pro and XP Pro machines, I find I use the command prompt a lot more than I thought. Suddenly I'm not so sure Linux is that "out there" with their command line usage, when you think about it. It's definitely more CLI than Windows, but in some cases... it's not a big gap.

Video Editing software needs work too, Bluetooth uploads from PC to mobile but not mobile to PC (at least on my PC anyhow) though bluetooth as standard was a nice touch and much better than Windows Xp separate driver installation.

I agree with you here... at least for the average user like myself. I have heard that Hollywood crews are starting to use Linux based computing to get video effects and whatnot done. I'm curious to know what kind of app's they're running, though!

I think Ubuntu is coming on in leaps and bounds and could well replace windows but its a while of yet for most new users, I hope Ubuntu 9.04 solves some of these issues.

A new distro always provides a sense of hope with more hardware support and whatnot. I have used Ubuntu for 4 years, and I can honestly say each distro has impressed me time and time again... with the exception of Pulse Audio, which was a complete and utter failure 10 times over again.

With more work more people will convert to Ubuntu Linux, I experimented with Linux before and gave up several years ago but I kept coming back the improvements with Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 have been significant enough to bring me back to try again, keep up the good work.

The thing I respect about Ubuntu developers is... they don't seem happy. They're not sitting back with their feet on the desk saying how great it is that they made this amazing distro. They acknowledge they have a road ahead of them to get to where they want to be, despite the fact they've come a TREMENDOUS distance already. I like that. I admire their attitude towards the development of future versions.

I honestly can't picture myself ever ditching Ubuntu as my main OS. And geez, if gaming ever came mainstream to the Linux scene... watch out!

dullard
January 23rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
It is nice though, how people actually have to know what they're doing to switch to linux. We don't have so many people who have no clue what they're doing.

Agreed. This place would collapse under the strain if a sizeable proportion of Windows and Mac users switched to Linux.

Always be careful what you wish for... :lol:

Nightstrike2009
February 2nd, 2009, 05:05 AM
In response to the others "Restricted Driver Manager" is used in the How-to (but only manually) and "Envy-NG" isn't an option for me either, as my machine is not connected to the internet.

I port files from a Windows PC that is net-connected via USB stick to install programs on mine (via .deb files) this is not ideal I agree but works for me none the less. I am well aware of dependancy hell and how to download appropriate packages to make programs work, I assume that Ubuntu is much easier to download programs (& enable 3D graphics) with via internet connection.

I realise this information was not posted before and I appologise for not mentioning it previously.

I maybe new but I am committed to learning how to use Ubuntu Linux as I wish to kick Windows off my PC once and for all following the Vista fiasco. :-)

wolfen69
February 2nd, 2009, 05:09 AM
this is old. linux is part of my life now. if you still think about windows, then you still have issues with it. get over it and do what you have to. i think most people here are dual booting fools. they haven't learned how to move on.

guess what? if you spend some time searching, you can replace windows programs. most people don't have enuff patience though.

Nightstrike2009
February 2nd, 2009, 05:20 AM
I never said I wanted to be elitist and never intend to be, I've used open office and open-source programs for a long while and intend to continue. If I can help new user's learn Ubuntu then I will, not putting them off, but encourage them instead, we all start somewhere, we ain't born with it. :-)

CrazyDesi
February 2nd, 2009, 08:34 AM
Ah, I could care less about "freedom" and all the annoying hippy crap. I just want a functional computer. I enjoy Linux and I don't dual boot, but there is no way in hell that Linux has software equivalents for a great deal of proprietary Windows software. Even Open Office, for example, might be ok for computer science majors that need to type a couple of papers up every now and then, but I would hate writing my dissertation on it. Instead, I just use VM to run Microsoft Word.

I like Linux for the community. Call me weird.

Trail
February 2nd, 2009, 11:25 AM
if you really wanted to use linux, you would go out and spend 45$ on a new wireless card that works, and not 100-200$ for a new os.

qft.

mangar
February 2nd, 2009, 11:34 AM
CS majors use Latex.
OpenOffice sucks for equations. Try to write a Union over N groups..
For that purpose, MS Office isn't much better.

imlinux
February 2nd, 2009, 12:50 PM
in my opinion if you aren't some professional gamer or mechanical designer, then you really don't need windows.nearly everything is present in linux that is there in windows.plus its virus free,faster and you don't need to defragment it.besides shower and wiping your @$$ you can do everything and anything with linux.:lolflag:

Skripka
February 2nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
in my opinion if you aren't some professional gamer or mechanical designer, then you really don't need windows.nearly everything is present in linux that is there in windows.plus its virus free,faster and you don't need to defragment it.besides shower and wiping your @$$ you can do everything and anything with linux.:lolflag:

There is no Linux equivalent for:

Adobe CS
Finale/Sibelius

Most professional softwares do not have FOSS equivalents or even native linux ports(for purchase) for that matter....and most of said professional softwares run badly under Wine. So YES-many folks do need Windows/Mac in their employment.

Eddie Wilson
February 2nd, 2009, 02:59 PM

Sorry, totally untrue. MS does say that, based on the assumption that users are idiots and can't easily learn another system. There will some cost changing over but after that the TCO goes way down. DirectX is a non issue. Its not needed or wanted by the linux community. Windows 7 is not even out yet. Its still in beta, (I have played with it) and from what I can see, MS is trying to play catch up. (new features? able to burn .iso files now? please give me a break from the MS FUD machine). If you are so pro MS Windows why are you even trying to use linux? You don't have to answer because this is a useless thread and I have better ways to spend my time.

Good Day

bastones
February 2nd, 2009, 03:07 PM
I tried Windows 7 and I quite like it although its a disappointment that most machines before 2005 won't be able to run Windows 7. I like Ubuntu as it can easily be customised such as the theme but there is a learning curve behind it.

Giant Speck
February 2nd, 2009, 03:08 PM
Sorry, totally untrue. MS does say that, based on the assumption that users are idiots and can't easily learn another system. There will some cost changing over but after that the TCO goes way down. DirectX is a non issue. Its not needed or wanted by the linux community. Windows 7 is not even out yet. Its still in beta, (I have played with it) and from what I can see, MS is trying to play catch up. (new features? able to burn .iso files now? please give me a break from the MS FUD machine). If you are so pro MS Windows why are you even trying to use linux? You don't have to answer because this is a useless thread and I have better ways to spend my time.

Good Day

Okay... :-s

cmat
February 2nd, 2009, 03:08 PM

OpenGL is just the library dealing with 3D which is pretty up to par with Direct3D from when I worked with it. For games on linux you use SDL which compliments DirectX. It's not that one is better than the other, it's market share.

Also the sound system in Linux is horrific ATM. That's what needs work.

GMU_DodgyHodgy
February 2nd, 2009, 03:53 PM
I think one thing that needs to happen to put Linux in tighter competition with Windows is something that is not focused on as much as it should be.

Applications. Linux is now already as easy to use as Windows. Heck you can now buy machines with it pre-installed. However, an OS is only a shell in which a user operates. What people look for in making these decisions are the applications they use to do useful things with a computer.

With regards to productivity and normal home use of computers - there is a solid base. However, what Linux needs is the porting of some popular Windows apps to Linux and the development of a simpler and more standard platform upon which to develop applications.

There are efforts being made towards doing this - but they are in their infancy still. Make it easy and profitable to make these applications - there will be less resistance to going to Linux.

Apple brought people to OSX not because people realized that OSX was good - but it was the applications Apple put on OSX and the stuff built around it - IPOD, IPHONE, etc.

CrazyDesi
February 2nd, 2009, 05:13 PM
CS majors use Latex.
OpenOffice sucks for equations. Try to write a Union over N groups..
For that purpose, MS Office isn't much better.

I agree. I have a similar time doing stuff in OpenOffice. I work on economic history. Having to write in the past tense, it is very annoying having to go through your whole 50 page paper and make sure that things such as passive voice, etc. are not being used. I tend to type my papers in OpenOffice and then switch to VM for grammar check, etc.

Divider
February 2nd, 2009, 05:31 PM
While windows seven does look sexy with its multi-surface capabilities. I can just as easily config my screen into multiple surfaces as well with xorg.

Pros of windows:

it's not OSX or anything related to that evil, evil apple (yes 2 evils)

Pros of linux(specifically ubuntu):

No "add new hardware" BS and best mascot ever. PERIOD!

Johnsie
February 2nd, 2009, 05:36 PM
Linux doesn't have TVU, PPStream, Multimedia instant messaging over the major networks and quite often the 'alternatives' to Windows programs are not 'equivalent'. An bug applications written by a hobbyist isn't always as detailed as an application written by a large company with lots of money to invest.

I have both so I can have a choice.

Namtabmai
February 2nd, 2009, 06:06 PM
Linux doesn't have TVU
Proprietary.

, PPStream
Proprietary.

, Multimedia instant messaging over the major networks
Proprietary.

Sorry, exactly why is this Linux's failing because it doesn't support these programs rather than the company that makes the software failing because they don't support Linux?

I totally understand that the so called "average" user doesn't care, but if they care enough to complain why aren't they complaining to the right people?

bash
February 2nd, 2009, 06:21 PM
Linux doesn't have TVU, PPStream

Why don't you use sopcast if you want P2P TV streaming on Linux?

Multimedia instant messaging over the major networks

What exactly do you mean by that? Voice and video chat? Or sending other people animated smileys?

Tomatz
February 2nd, 2009, 06:23 PM
Multimedia instant messaging over the major networks and quite often the 'alternatives' to Windows programs are not 'equivalent'.

Huh?

Take mercury messenger for instance, far better than msn/windows live messenger. Far more options, better UI, BETTER webcam support (ie webcam conference).

And that is just ONE example ;)

kbutcher5
February 2nd, 2009, 06:24 PM

Not to be stepping on anyones toes, but the only games that play for both xbox is made in .NET, as xbox runs .NET and so does windows ofcourse, but .NET is the xbox's only way to run games. So not dependent of DirectX.
As for openGL not being suitable for big companies, what would you call Valve, ID Software and CCP. All of them generate billions of dollars each year, all of them have games for linux, or Valve is going to have, but they still do it.
ID Software actually releases EVERY release for linux, don't ask me why :P