PDA

View Full Version : Asus EEE Pc 1000

b3n87
January 22nd, 2009, 06:03 PM
Hey guys,

Found this amazing deal for an Asus EEE PC 1000 for £281

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146029

Just wondering what you guys have? Any success with netbooks in general? Im thinking the new EXT4 filesystem on one of these must be fast as hell?

Heres the spec:

Intel Atom 1.6 GHz
1 GB DDR2 SDRAM
40 GB Solid State Drive
Operating System: Linux
10" TFT
1024 x 600 ( WSVGA )
High Definition Audio
Integrated Microphone
Networking
Compliant Standards: Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Bluetooth, IEEE 802.11b/g/n (draft)
Dimensions
Width 26.6 cm
Depth 19.1 cm
Height 3.8 cm
Weight 1.33 kg
6-cell Lithium Ion Battery,
Up to 8 Hours Run Time
3 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 PIN USB Type A
1 x display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)
1 x headphones - output - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm
1 x microphone - input - mini-phone 3.5mm
1 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45
Warranty/Miscellaneous
2 Year Manufacturer Warranty
Card reader
Supported Flash Memory Cards SD Memory Card, MultiMediaCard, SDHC Memory Card

NTolerance
January 22nd, 2009, 06:07 PM
I recently picked up an EEEPC 900A from Best Buy for $199 USD. The 4GB SSD is pretty slow, but I like everything else about it. The keyboard takes some getting used to, but it's worth it for the portability.

Right now there are two Ubuntu-based distros that are made for the EEE, Easy Peasy (http://www.geteasypeasy.com/) and EEEBuntu (http://www.eeebuntu.org/). I've had a much better experience with EEEBuntu. Easy Peasy includes too many unnecessary apps by default and I ran into various bugs such as Ubiquity being added to my session startup, failure to shut down, and XFCE app icons not displaying. Right now I'm running EEEBuntu Base with the Netbook Remix interface added. With just a small amount of necessary apps it's taking up ~2GB on my 4GB SSD.

b3n87
January 22nd, 2009, 06:12 PM
Cool - Im looking forward to Ubuntu NBR 8.10. Have you tired 8.04? I saw a video of it installed on a Dell and it looked very well polished.

My friend at work as a Acer Aspire One which boots in like 15 seconds - are they any where near these speeds?

NTolerance
January 22nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
Cool - Im looking forward to Ubuntu NBR 8.10. Have you tired 8.04? I saw a video of it installed on a Dell and it looked very well polished.

My friend at work as a Acer Aspire One which boots in like 15 seconds - are they any where near these speeds?

Haven't tried 8.04, I've got to have the latest and greatest. My system boots pretty quick, maybe in about 25 seconds or so. Firefox does seem to bog down the SSD though; it takes a while to become responsive. I wonder if there's a setting I can tweak for that.

gn2
January 22nd, 2009, 07:50 PM
I would rather have this (http://www.computerbargains.co.uk/shop/catalog/product_16902_MSI_S270_AMD_Sempron_3200_DVDRW_512M B_40GB_Bluetooth_WiFi_XPH_S.html), bigger, faster, better screen, optical drive, cheaper.

b3n87
January 22nd, 2009, 07:58 PM
Thing is, I already have a M1330 - and Im just being a geek.

The netbooks are awesome, the EEE PC 1000 weighs just over 1kg and has 7-8 hours battery life. Thats incredible for something so "cheap".

gn2
January 22nd, 2009, 08:31 PM
Thing is, I already have a M1330 - and Im just being a geek.

The netbooks are awesome, the EEE PC 1000 weighs just over 1kg and has 7-8 hours battery life. Thats incredible for something so "cheap".

The HP 2133 is far better built, better screen res and under £200 on Ebuyer, who also have the best of the Eee's, the 901 for £238.

Large capacity batteries are available for the HP2133 for £40-ish.

b3n87
January 22nd, 2009, 09:20 PM
Eewww Via processor?

Its all about the Intel Atom for preformance to battery life ratio, isnt it?

Good shout for the alternatives tho :)

Therion
January 22nd, 2009, 09:34 PM
I picked up an Asus Eee 1000 about a week ago. The preinstalled Xandros OS left a little something to be desired, IMO, and it's now booting to eeebuntu instead. Like NTolerance I tried Easy Peasy, but eeebuntu is the way to go IMO as well.

I've never gotten seven hours on a charge, but I can get 5 easily.

The keyboard is a bit bigger than some other netbooks I've tried making touch-typing easier. I still find myself doing a combination of touch-typing with some hunt & peck thrown in but it's a very "use-able" KB in my opinion.

So far I'm loving my Eee.

b3n87
January 22nd, 2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the reviews! So would you recommend it over the 901?

I gathered the 8 hours battery was over-the-top. Does the 1000 have that multi-touch thing on the touch pad? I did some googling and I found out that you can buy Touch screen for them and stuff. Makes it a fun gadget if your into tweaking :)

Have you tried Ubuntu Netbook Remix?

gn2
January 22nd, 2009, 10:20 PM
Eewww Via processor?

Its all about the Intel Atom for preformance to battery life ratio, isnt it?

The Via in the HP 2133 is a good and efficient CPU.

If you go to PCWorld and have a look at one in the flesh and compare it with the Eees, you'll see immediately that it is a significantly better made product.
Add the fact that it has a 1280x800 screen res and it's a no-brainer.

Therion
January 22nd, 2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the reviews! So would you recommend it over the 901?
I haven't used the 901 so I can't really say one is better than another. The 1000 is everything it's advertised to be, but that's all I can tell you.

I gathered the 8 hours battery was over-the-top. Does the 1000 have that multi-touch thing on the touch pad?
I'm certainly not getting 8 hours on a charge if I'm, you know, USING it, that's for sure. Five yes, eight no. Your mileage may vary of course.

Have you tried Ubuntu Netbook Remix?
Netbook Remix has a GUI that's very similar to Easy Peasy. While I don't really dislike that particular GUI in particular I do much prefer the more Gnome-like GUI that eeebuntu uses. Both are far, far better looking than the Playskool looking Xandros default GUI in my opinion. Choose the one you like best though, they're all good.

b3n87
January 22nd, 2009, 10:54 PM
Im looking forward to 9.04 - I think that will be a good release for Netbooks.

I did also concider the Dell Mini 9 - but they don't seem as popular?

Therion
January 23rd, 2009, 12:06 AM
I did also concider the Dell Mini 9 - but they don't seem as popular?
In comparison to most other netbooks I've looked at, the Dells are a little overpriced for their hardware profile.

I'd guess this is a tough market and it's not that the Dells are BAD, it's just that you can do better for your money.

They do come with 8.04.1 preinstalled, though, if you want... Nice!

lemmy999
January 23rd, 2009, 12:29 AM
Can I recommend crunchbang linux for netbooks? Based on 8.10 but with OpenBox as its WM.

http://crunchbanglinux.org/

NTolerance
January 23rd, 2009, 04:58 AM
Seems like everyone around me wants hi-spec, big, and expensive netbooks. That's missing the point IMHO. For me it's all about inexpensive and small, everything else is secondary. To me a netbook is a secondary PC for browsing teh intarwebs in places where you wouldn't take a regular laptop, such as the toilet.

myusername
January 23rd, 2009, 06:51 AM
i've got the 904ha its great. pretty much the same as the 1000 series just smaller screen and longer battery life

jacksaff
January 23rd, 2009, 09:05 AM
I have a 1000H. The slightly larger screen and keyboard make it usable as a notebook replacement for me, with the huge plus that it's still pretty tiny and the battery lasts longer than any other notebook I've owned.
I run kde4.2 on mine and it's quick and looks gorgeous. Kde4.1 was good too, but having the panel autohide on a 10" screen makes a big difference.
I didn't like any of the eee distro's interfaces. They were harder to navigate and less familiar to me than kde. On the 10 inch screen a regular kde is fine (though having panel hiding back in 4.2 made it even better). I do though, use eeebuntu's kernel.
If someone had told me a couple of years ago that I would be able to buy a machine like this for less than AU$600 I would have laughed at them.