PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Startup CD freezes computer after clicking isntall Ubuntu

NuNn DaDdY
January 22nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
I am trying to clear out windows from a friends computer and install Ubuntu on it. However, run I try to run the install cd on startup, after clicking on install ubuntu the computer just sits at that screen frozen and does nothing. The cd drive shows that the computer is working but nothing more. I thought that it was maybe a bad cd and have gotten another but have had the same results. Thank you all in advance for your help.

taurus
January 22nd, 2009, 05:32 PM
What's the spec of your friend's computer?

NuNn DaDdY
January 22nd, 2009, 06:02 PM
Pentium 4 processor with 2.8 ghz cpu
256 ram

What else would you like to know. I would copy and paste all but his computer is all messed up and i have to run two flights of stairs to obtain information lol.

avtolle
January 22nd, 2009, 06:10 PM
You should try the alternate cd iso, as the computer only has 256 mb RAM. From the official instructions, to run the Desktop CD, a minimum of 384 mb RAM is needed. To download the alternate iso, go to the same place you downloaded the one you have, and scroll down the page; IIRC, there is a box on the right side of the page where you may select the alternate iso.

boof1988
January 22nd, 2009, 06:12 PM
Pentium 4 processor with 2.8 ghz cpu
256 ram

I suspect that the problem is that there is not enough ram to use the desktop installer (LiveCD). I can't remember the system requirement, but IIRC they are more than 256MB.

Here's a Ubuntu System Requirements link (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements).

You could try using the Alternate Install CD... Or, actually, some lighter distribution may be better suited for the machine. *dunno*