PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC article fumes on Linux Users

beyboo
January 22nd, 2009, 04:55 PM
MSNBC.com article breathes fire on Linux community - says Linux is bad and Linux users are worse !!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28039226/?pg=7#Tech_JerkGadgets

I sometimes think, if there is at least some element of truth in it. Many Linux users on forums are like a religious cult, very intolerant to criticism, contrary to the openness of Linux and open source. They apparently are giving linux a bad name around ...

comments anyone ?

richg
January 22nd, 2009, 04:58 PM
I agree. It is all about MALE EGO.

Rich

sydbat
January 22nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
What an AWESOME troll article. My favourite bit
(Msnbc.com is a Microsoft-NBC Universal joint venture.)Also, nowhere in the "7 gadgets" is anything said about a Microsoft product...just bad mouthing against Apple, Blackberry, Linux.

Nuff said.

gnuvistawouldbecool
January 22nd, 2009, 05:03 PM
Msnbc.com is a Microsoft-NBC Universal joint venture.

No bias there whatsoever, hmm.

Mr. Picklesworth
January 22nd, 2009, 05:41 PM
He probably already has Linux behind his favourite web sites, his phone and his tivo.

That writer must be a jerk by his own admission :P

DM was on fire!
January 22nd, 2009, 05:53 PM
Dude was probably commissioned to write it by Microsoft themselves. XD

Giant Speck
January 22nd, 2009, 05:54 PM
I think people are failing to see the humor that this article is supposed to bring. It's written with obvious sarcastic overtones. It wasn't difficult to guess that the Segway, the iPod, the Blackberry, and Bluetooth were going to be on that list. I was a little surprised at Linux and TiVo, but it's all good.

Overall, I found it an enjoyable and humorous article. :)

Polygon
January 22nd, 2009, 08:15 PM
yes, using an ipod case, using linux, and using a wireless headset make you look like such a jerk *rolls eyes*

Icehuck
January 22nd, 2009, 08:18 PM
yes, using an ipod case, using linux, and using a wireless headset make you look like such a jerk *rolls eyes*

I agree with the article. Walking around with a bluetooth headset makes you look like a tool.

Mr. Picklesworth
January 22nd, 2009, 08:39 PM
I agree with the article. Walking around with a bluetooth headset makes you look like a tool.

I use one strictly for listening to podcasts with my N810, since it's more manageable to just turn one of those on and listen than to tinker with headphones. Not quite as good quality (being mono and all), but it works fine. It's like being kept on hold for an hour by a sadistic brick & mortar retailer, but with more tasteful selection of audio.

It's just when people start talking into thin air while surrounded by other people that it becomes a pain. For a brief period, though, I had a strong desire to start using my device as a voice recorder and narrating every moment of my life while surrounded by people. Thankfully, Maemo's serious lack of voice recording software kept the idea at bay :P

Giant Speck
January 22nd, 2009, 08:41 PM
It's just when people start talking into thin air while surrounded by other people that it becomes a pain.

Oh, God. The awkward elevator moments when you think the person is talking to you, but then you realize they are wearing a bluetooth headset.

:facepalm:

Skripka
January 22nd, 2009, 08:45 PM
What are the odds the MSNBC website is hosted on Apache servers? :)

SomeGuyDude
January 22nd, 2009, 09:45 PM
So wait, the Microsoft-NBC news giant doesn't like Linux? Shocker.

super breadfish
January 22nd, 2009, 09:57 PM
The Apple community is infinately more fanatical but I don't see them calling Ipods uncool...

Sunflower1970
January 22nd, 2009, 10:02 PM
Oh, God. The awkward elevator moments when you think the person is talking to you, but then you realize they are wearing a bluetooth headset.

LOL...Or the awkward moment when there is a person walking behind you in a parking lot, and they say "Well, hello beautiful" you whip around give them a WTF-that-is-the-worst-pick-up-line-ever look, when you realize they are actually talking to their wife on the phone. (of course it all makes it worth it when they realize what just happened, say "No! I didn't mean you!--erm--no honey, yes you are beautiful..but I was just speaking to the lady in front of me!" and then the argument ensues. Was highly amusing to listen to):lolflag:

Bluetooth headsets. Bad for relationships...

lykwydchykyn
January 22nd, 2009, 10:05 PM
The Apple community is infinately more fanatical but I don't see them calling Ipods uncool...

Did you read the article?

They slammed the mac book air and ipod accessories.

Giant Speck
January 22nd, 2009, 10:07 PM

Linux was only one of seven products featured in the article.

The others were:

Bluetooth
TiVo
MacBook Air
iPod accessories
Blackberry
Segway

Icehuck
January 22nd, 2009, 10:08 PM
Did you read the article?

They slammed the mac book air and ipod accessories.

Which is not the same as an Ipod.

ticopelp
January 22nd, 2009, 10:29 PM
Amazing what sort of thoughtless dross passes for journalism these days.

SomeGuyDude
January 22nd, 2009, 10:33 PM

I was at the bar and there was a dude at the urinal next to me that started up a conversation. Holy crap that was awkward.

"Hey man, what's up."

"...um, nothin'."

"Watcha doin'?"

"...I'm peein'. Same as you."

"Hold on, this jerkoff's tryin' to talk to me."

"What? Aw, hell."

Chame_Wizard
January 22nd, 2009, 10:55 PM
Of course we are critic,but this things are nothing but FUD.Being sarcastic or not.

Tom Mann
January 22nd, 2009, 10:55 PM
Reminds me of Lee Evans...

http://http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ6uMZMRR2s

EDIT: (NB: Swearing... Duh!)

|eafhound
January 22nd, 2009, 10:59 PM
MSNBC is owned by microsoft :popcorn:

tbroderick
January 22nd, 2009, 11:03 PM
Amazing what sort of thoughtless dross passes for journalism these days.

Apparently, Linux users have no sense of humor. Best part:

You feel your mastery of computers excuses your inability to control a neck-beard.

Giant Speck
January 22nd, 2009, 11:04 PM
MSNBC is owned by microsoft :popcorn:

Thank you, Lieutenant Obvious. Keep this up and you'll be promoted to Captain some day!

|eafhound
January 22nd, 2009, 11:15 PM
thank you, lieutenant obvious. Keep this up and you'll be promoted to captain some day!

:)

gletob
January 22nd, 2009, 11:16 PM
Ok apparently a good percentage of people here in the USA are jerks according to MSNBC.

Come one. Really? Blackberries, Bluetooth, TIVO!

Huh, I just realized I'm a jerk, and one that plans to watch CNN or FOX NEWS from now on.

Therion
January 22nd, 2009, 11:20 PM
I can tell you on no uncertain terms I most certainly do NOT need Linux to make me look like a jerk.

ticopelp
January 22nd, 2009, 11:21 PM

You feel your mastery of computers excuses your inability to control a neck-beard.

Oh yes. Linux users are all fat and unhygenic. What revolutionary hilarity. What brisk invention.

qazwsx
January 22nd, 2009, 11:30 PM

$ HEAD www.msnbc.msn.com/
200 OK
Connection: close
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 22:29:01 GMT
Pragma: no-cache
Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Expires: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 22:29:01 GMT
Client-Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 22:29:01 GMT
Client-Peer: 193.166.4.72:80
Client-Response-Num: 1
P3P: CP="BUS CUR CONo FIN IVDo ONL OUR PHY SAMo TELo"
X-AspNet-Version: 2.0.50727
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
8)

Mazza558
January 22nd, 2009, 11:49 PM
Submitted to Digg. Let's get it on the front page!

http://digg.com/linux_unix/MSNBC_shows_its_Linux_hatred

I-75
January 23rd, 2009, 12:05 AM
This "journalism" is nothing more than bait (in my opinion)to get people clicking on the website in hopes to bring in more people, get more "buzz" and maybe more advertising in the process. Kind of like on Microsoft Watch where Joe says something negative about MSFT and it brings loads of comments from both sides of the aisle.

Some might also call this preemptive damage control or smoke screening. I'll bet this was written before the announcement of the 5,000 people lay off at MSFT. Did they released this on the same day that the layoff news was released?

Now my other question is.... does anyone actually watch MSNBC anymore?

linuxguymarshall
January 23rd, 2009, 12:12 AM
makes me think of when Microsoft ran on Linux and OS X (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/04/26/amazon_refuses_to_pull_bill/). Now this. Just another attempt by M$. Luckily nobody sets their homepage to MSN anymore. It's pretty much Yahoo or AOL now. Unless you are "in charge of a server farm" then you set it to google.com/i

RiceMonster
January 23rd, 2009, 12:24 AM

Thank you so much for that post. Relax people, this is meant to be tongue-in-cheek

Oh yes. Linux users are all fat and unhygenic. What revolutionary hilarity. What brisk invention.

Quit being so uptight and get used to it; people are going to make fun of the stuff you really like.

bruce89
January 23rd, 2009, 12:52 AM

I know, I'm underweight.

hanzomon4
January 23rd, 2009, 12:52 AM
This was suppose to be funny! Please apt-get a sense of humor... jerk :lol:

zmjjmz
January 23rd, 2009, 12:54 AM
I'm more worried about what this guy has against new technology and innovation.

Giant Speck
January 23rd, 2009, 01:08 AM
Now my other question is.... does anyone actually watch MSNBC anymore?

I generally don't watch cable news anymore, as I don't really watch television in general anymore. However, when I do watch cable news, I tend to watch MSNBC more than I do CNN and certainly more than I do FOX News.

bruce89
January 23rd, 2009, 01:09 AM
I generally don't watch cable news anymore, as I don't really watch television in general anymore. However, when I do watch cable news, I tend to watch MSNBC more than I do CNN and certainly more than I do FOX News.

Makes me thankful we have Channel 4 news (BBC's rubbish).

cardinals_fan
January 23rd, 2009, 01:40 AM
I actually have to agree with him on this. Linux users have acquired a reputation for rudeness, intolerance, and fanboyism thanks to a few zealous idiots.

-grubby
January 23rd, 2009, 01:44 AM
And Linux users haven't written articles of satire about Microsoft? I don't see what the big deal is.

|eafhound
January 23rd, 2009, 01:45 AM
i actually have to agree with him on this. Linux users have acquired a reputation for rudeness, intolerance, and fanboyism thanks to a few zealous idiots.

+1

ticopelp
January 23rd, 2009, 01:48 AM
Thank you so much for that post. Relax people, this is meant to be tongue-in-cheek

Quit being so uptight and get used to it; people are going to make fun of the stuff you really like.

Quit being so uptight and accept that I don't find it funny.

I'm perfectly relaxed, I just thought it was a crap article and don't mind saying so.

Giant Speck
January 23rd, 2009, 01:53 AM

Quit being so uptight and accept that I don't find it funny.

I'm perfectly relaxed, I just thought it was a crap article and don't mind saying so.

Both of you quit being uptight.

It makes me sad. http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/7394/crybaby1la1.gif

ticopelp
January 23rd, 2009, 01:56 AM
Both of you quit being uptight.

It makes me sad.

I'm not uptight. Just sarcastic. :p

Aenoble
January 23rd, 2009, 02:50 AM
MSNBC.com article breathes fire on Linux community - says Linux is bad and Linux users are worse !!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28039226/?pg=7#Tech_JerkGadgets

I sometimes think, if there is at least some element of truth in it. Many Linux users on forums are like a religious cult, very intolerant to criticism, contrary to the openness of Linux and open source. They apparently are giving linux a bad name around ...

comments anyone ?

This is correct. Everyone around here should learn to be a bit more humble.

beyboo
January 23rd, 2009, 03:17 AM

Its on IIS/6.0. You should install this cool FF add-on Server spy from here (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2036)

beyboo
January 23rd, 2009, 03:50 AM
This is correct. Everyone around here should learn to be a bit more humble.

Intolerant is indeed the word. I have observed and learnt over the years that understanding and getting to learn and use linux is truly an art. Even a distro like Ubuntu can be diff if things dont work or u need to get some work done.

Ppl who have used windows all their lives, just cannot comprehend this thought as Windows though instable, virus infested makes it so easy for them.

Linux requires an effort, Windows is no-brainer. This is not to say it is good than linux, but just a statement of fact.

For eg : My cousin is a die-hard Windows guys, the other day he got inspired by my life style to try ubuntu on wubi. For him and me both it was a horror roller coaster ride.

First all his impatience in trying to understand why the ATI drivers dont work so well and video jerks. When i explained some gstreamer settings, he quipped - I wonder why we dont do that in windows.

Then he said everytime he boots up, he looses all his customized settings... PRobing on the phone, I later understood, he meant that his other physical disc where he has his Backgrounds and icons dont autoload and so they dont appear !!! Wen I showed him fstab automont, he looked aghast....

I explained the wonderfully effecient apt-get world to him and he was dazed to know he just cant go to a website where it says download for linux, doubleclick and install....

There are some major computing paradigms to be relearnt from moving over to windows, and usually when these poor souls come over to ubuntu / linux, they are bombarded by a barrage of cryptic command lines (which most often are not even necessary in the first place !!)

Warpnow
January 23rd, 2009, 04:01 AM
I explained the wonderfully effecient apt-get world to him and he was dazed to know he just cant go to a website where it says download for linux, doubleclick and install....

Show him getdeb.

beyboo
January 23rd, 2009, 04:28 AM
Show him getdeb.

which i ofcourse did, but then again dont we all know that the "latest" greatest versions are not as easy to install as 1-2-3 !!

Grant A.
January 23rd, 2009, 04:31 AM
which i ofcourse did, but then again dont we all know that the "latest" greatest versions are not as easy to install as 1-2-3 !!

Well, you can blame projects like Guichan for that. While it's a wonderful library, the developers have a habit of removing symbols and headers from the source, making new versions incompatible with old versions.

lykwydchykyn
January 23rd, 2009, 04:42 AM
Which is not the same as an Ipod.

Look you, I've a haddock here and I'm not afraid to slap someone around with it.

http://smile.smilies.nl/460.gif