PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Error :(

BrandonBan6
January 22nd, 2009, 04:19 PM
Hello,

So I was installing a VirtualBox upgrade via GUI package when my machine froze up, I manually shut it down. Restarted it, and now when double click the package I get the attached error. I can't find a process running for Synaptic, Aptget or Update Manager. Any thoughts?

BrandonBan6
January 22nd, 2009, 04:36 PM
New clue here, when I try an install from the terminal, I get an error that say:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

So I run the suggested code, and I get this:

:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
dpkg: error processing virtualbox-2.1 (--configure):
Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
reinstall it before attempting configuration.
Errors were encountered while processing:
virtualbox-2.1

Where should I go from here, or how should I reinstall this?

BrandonBan6
January 22nd, 2009, 04:58 PM
Sweet...........actually, I was able to somehow use dpkg --force and got it to remove the "broken" package. Honestly, I'm not sure what I did, but it works!

dabl
January 22nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
when my machine froze up, I manually shut it down.

Any thoughts?

That's tough on your filesystem and running processes, and usually not necessary. Next time you think it is frozen, try holding down Alt-SysRQ and then press slowly, in sequence, R S E I U B

Probably you will be amazed to see your "fozen" system do a graceful shutdown/restart. And stuff won't be broken (or at least not any more broken) when it comes back up. ;)

BrandonBan6
January 22nd, 2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks dabl,

That is a bit elaborate to remember eh?

Is there another "ctrl+alt+del" like command, that would allow you kill a hung up process?

thanks for your help.

boof1988
January 22nd, 2009, 05:23 PM
Next time you think it is frozen, try holding down Alt-SysRQ and then press slowly, in sequence, R S E I U B

Where is the <SysRQ> button? -Or- What other name/label would the <SysRQ> button have?

BrandonBan6
January 22nd, 2009, 05:25 PM
Where is the <SysRQ> button? -Or- What other name/label would the <SysRQ> button have?

It is the same as your "print screen" button. Right next to the scroll lock and pause buttons, above the insert/home/page up buttons :)

dabl
January 22nd, 2009, 05:28 PM
Raising Skinny Elephants Is Utterly Boring.

:D

BrandonBan6
January 22nd, 2009, 05:29 PM
haha! that works.........thanks a lot!

boof1988
January 22nd, 2009, 05:42 PM
Raising Skinny Elephants Is Utterly Boring.

:D

Or... from TechPatterns (http://techpatterns.com/forums/about911.html)

Reboot System Even If Utterly Broken