PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Clean install XP and Ubuntu

CaptainNoah
January 22nd, 2009, 02:38 PM
Hello! First post - thanks for having me on board :D

I've just finished a new build. I wish to install XP and Ubuntu on separate hard drives and to have the option to boot from either. I am complete Linux newbie but have been exploring the 8.10 CD.

I understand that I have to partition the HDDs but when I try to do this with XP (old version) it fails to distinguish between the two HDDs (750MB and 500MB) although these show on the BIOS. It also thinks the discs are both 13GB.

Can I use G-parted to partition the disks before installing XP? G-parted shows one disk at 698GB and the other at 466 GB. Do I need to make special partitions for Ubuntu - home and swap?

I'd be grateful for advice on this. Once I get XP installed and up and running I plan to install Ubuntu. I considered a VM install but I will be gaming so this is not an option.

overdrank
January 22nd, 2009, 04:04 PM
Hello! First post - thanks for having me on board :D

I've just finished a new build. I wish to install XP and Ubuntu on separate hard drives and to have the option to boot from either. I am complete Linux newbie but have been exploring the 8.10 CD.

I understand that I have to partition the HDDs but when I try to do this with XP (old version) it fails to distinguish between the two HDDs (750MB and 500MB) although these show on the BIOS. It also thinks the discs are both 13GB.

Can I use G-parted to partition the disks before installing XP? G-parted shows one disk at 698GB and the other at 466 GB. Do I need to make special partitions for Ubuntu - home and swap?

I'd be grateful for advice on this. Once I get XP installed and up and running I plan to install Ubuntu. I considered a VM install but I will be gaming so this is not an option.

Hi and welcome, yes you can use gparted that is on the Ubuntu live cd. This link may help with the partitioning https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

CaptainNoah
January 22nd, 2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the link. I used GParted to partition my hard drive. When I tried to install XP Pro I got an error message saying that the partitions were non-compatible with Windows and that I must go back and re-partition using the XP partitioner.

I did this but XP gave me no choice as to the size of the partition I was creating. I ended up with a partition of 128 GB for XP which is not what I wanted! :(

I now have 128 GB unallocated space according to XP's Disk Management calculations. What to do now to install Ubuntu 8.10?