PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the past

igknighted
January 22nd, 2009, 08:38 AM
So I stopped by my parents house today for dinner and while I was there I stumbled across this old laptop I used to use in college. I had left it for dead years ago because it stopped booting, but (ironically) I had just read a thread this morning about someone trying to use Ubuntu on a laptop of this same series, so I was curious. After taking it apart and tightening all the connections it booted up... into the beta of Ubuntu Edgy Eft! It still has several of my comp sci projects on there, as well as when I opened firefox it tried to restore my last session (which of course I checked for curiosity, and it was the gentoo handbook and several other gentoo-related help pages... this little lappy's last mission was to serve as my cheatsheet for a gentoo install)

It's funny how in some ways, 6.10 looks no different than 8.10. But then there are the little things as well (for example, there is no system->prefs->"appearance", it was "themes" then). Anyone else have any computer time capsules that brought back nostalgia for old software?

MaxIBoy
January 22nd, 2009, 08:57 AM
I got a free rescue 10-gig hard drive that had Windows 98 on it. There was no nostalgia, though it was pretty funny watching it try to cope with all my modern hardware (Rip van Winkle, anyone?) Also, the hard drive failed a week later.

igknighted
January 22nd, 2009, 09:05 AM
I got a free rescue 10-gig hard drive that had Windows 98 on it. There was no nostalgia, though it was pretty funny watching it try to cope with all my modern hardware (Rip van Winkle, anyone?) Also, the hard drive failed a week later.

Hopefully that isn't an omen for my poor laptop... I plan on bringing it to work after upgrading it to 8.04 to run as a test server

jrusso2
January 22nd, 2009, 09:07 AM
I have an old Pentium server here that has a ten year old copy of SCO Unixware on it from the days when I was trying all the different versions of Linux/Unix

SunnyRabbiera
January 22nd, 2009, 11:27 AM
So I stopped by my parents house today for dinner and while I was there I stumbled across this old laptop I used to use in college. I had left it for dead years ago because it stopped booting, but (ironically) I had just read a thread this morning about someone trying to use Ubuntu on a laptop of this same series, so I was curious. After taking it apart and tightening all the connections it booted up... into the beta of Ubuntu Edgy Eft! It still has several of my comp sci projects on there, as well as when I opened firefox it tried to restore my last session (which of course I checked for curiosity, and it was the gentoo handbook and several other gentoo-related help pages... this little lappy's last mission was to serve as my cheatsheet for a gentoo install)

It's funny how in some ways, 6.10 looks no different than 8.10. But then there are the little things as well (for example, there is no system->prefs->"appearance", it was "themes" then). Anyone else have any computer time capsules that brought back nostalgia for old software?

Well for Ubuntu the differences between 6.10 and 8.10 visually are not that different... try warty sometime :D