PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xubuntu issue

Godfredson
January 22nd, 2009, 07:53 AM
I have just installed xubuntu onto my computer, I was under the impression this would be a smaller version of ubuntu but still have the graphical interface. I've started it up, and it gave me a command line login, and I logged in, but now it looks like it's a completely command line interface.

Please tell me I'm wrong and I did something wrong.

I also have a disc for flubuntu if you think that is more of what I want than xubuntu.

Godfredson
January 22nd, 2009, 08:39 AM
Apparently I have to build the graphical interface, but when I type pico in the section needed to do it, it tells me command does not exist, someone please help.

I'm basically following a video step by step on what to do, haven't a clue what any of this is.

I tried replacing it with vi as suggested, which worked, but brought me to a blank page with a lot of underscores running down the left side of the screen, no text.

utnubuuser
January 22nd, 2009, 09:00 AM
xubuntu is basically ubuntu with xfce instead of gnome (I think it's a little more involved than that but...).

Is your xserver running? sudo startx

If you've still no gui desktop:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xfce

Godfredson
January 22nd, 2009, 09:07 AM
xubuntu is basically ubuntu with xfce instead of gnome (I think it's a little more involved than that but...).

Is your xserver running? sudo startx----Command not found

If you've still no gui desktop:
sudo apt-get update----Reading package lists...Done
sudo apt-get install xfce----E: Couldn't find package xfce

I've underlined and bolded what happened with each command.

Partyboi2
January 22nd, 2009, 09:19 AM
Maybe you have not got xserver installed
try

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg
then

sudo startx
to install the xubuntu desktop you would need to type

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Godfredson
January 22nd, 2009, 09:22 AM
Maybe you have not got xserver installed
try

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg----0 upgraded 0 newly installed 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded
then

sudo startx----command not found
to install the xubuntu desktop you would need to type

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop----command not found

those are my responses

Godfredson
January 22nd, 2009, 10:18 AM
Someone save me? lol

stefangr1
January 22nd, 2009, 10:26 AM
Someone save me? lol

If you login with your username (when you have arrived at the command line login), can you type:

startx

to start the graphics, and then post the output you get (I mean the error messages)?

Also, did you try the live cd, and did that work as expected?

Can you tell a bit more about your hardware (especially the video card)?

Godfredson
January 22nd, 2009, 10:32 AM
If you login with your username (when you have arrived at the command line login), can you type:

startx

to start the graphics, and then post the output you get (I mean the error messages)?

Also, did you try the live cd, and did that work as expected?

Can you tell a bit more about your hardware (especially the video card)?

Can't tell you much, really crappy computer to be honest, just wanted to run a version of ubuntu to get the gui to run smoother.

At this point it's become far too frustrating, and I think I'm going to attempt to install my fluxbuntu CD, I'm hoping that it will automatically set up the gui.

snowpine
January 22nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
Hi Godfredson,
Xubuntu is supposed to have a GUI (Xfce), so definitely something is wrong. :(

If you post your computer's specs (processor, amount of ram) I can try to suggest a good OS for you. Here are the recommended specs for Ubuntu and Xubuntu: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

Fluxbuntu is very cool, and it should have a GUI as well (Fluxbox). However in my experience, it is not as up-to-date and user-friendly as Xubuntu...

Godfredson
January 22nd, 2009, 06:24 PM
Hi Godfredson,
Xubuntu is supposed to have a GUI (Xfce), so definitely something is wrong. :(

If you post your computer's specs (processor, amount of ram) I can try to suggest a good OS for you. Here are the recommended specs for Ubuntu and Xubuntu: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

Fluxbuntu is very cool, and it should have a GUI as well (Fluxbox). However in my experience, it is not as up-to-date and user-friendly as Xubuntu...

I know the processor is under 200 mgh, the ram I'm running on I believe is 128.

Godfredson
January 22nd, 2009, 07:27 PM
Save me? lol

snowpine
January 22nd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Hi Godfredson,
I love Ubuntu :) but I think on a slow computer with only 128mb of ram, you might be happier with Puppy Linux (www.puppylinux.org). It is a lot less demanding of resources than Xubuntu or Fluxbuntu.

If you want to stick with the 'Buntu family, I do think Fluxbuntu is the lightest/fastest choice. Installing Xubuntu would almost certainly require the Alternate CD instead of the Live CD due to your limited ram. Good luck!

Godfredson
January 22nd, 2009, 11:29 PM
Hi Godfredson,
I love Ubuntu :) but I think on a slow computer with only 128mb of ram, you might be happier with Puppy Linux (www.puppylinux.org). It is a lot less demanding of resources than Xubuntu or Fluxbuntu.

If you want to stick with the 'Buntu family, I do think Fluxbuntu is the lightest/fastest choice. Installing Xubuntu would almost certainly require the Alternate CD instead of the Live CD due to your limited ram. Good luck!

I've actually gone back and looked and realized I only have 90 mb of ram, will puppy still run?

Jose Catre-Vandis
January 24th, 2009, 11:29 AM
From Puppy wiki

Minimum Hardware Requirements

Puppy has been tested on a few very old machines but the best results for the standard release of Puppy Linux to run at a reasonable pace have been achieved with the following:

CPU : Pentium 166MMX
RAM : 128 MB physical RAM for releases since version 1.0.2 or failing that a Linux swap file and/or swap partition is required for all included applications to run; 64 MB for releases previous to 1.0.2
Hard Drive : None
CDROM : 20x and up

However:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=101137

Partyboi2
January 24th, 2009, 12:15 PM
With 90 mb of ram you could look at darn small linux (http://damnsmalllinux.org/) as another option.