PDA

View Full Version : Patience; it is wonderful

OutOfReach
January 22nd, 2009, 07:46 AM
Hey guys, I've got a small story to tell you all.
So it is December 23, 2008. I order parts from Newegg to build my new computer. It arrives sometime on the 27th. Excited, I started putting everything together with the forced help of my dad. Time to test it out.
We test it, the POST LED reads FF. Uh-oh I thought, the motherboard is broken. We RMA it back to Newegg for a replacement.
Second time one week later, OK it should work.
- Nope still FF. RMA back to Newegg... Dad is starting to get frustrated and angry. Me? I keep cool and just 'wait until next time'.
Third time, this is last week. Open it and find bent pins where the CPU goes, dear father tries to fix it and makes it worse bending pins around it, gets mad at me for blaming him about bending some more pins. I stay calm, he wants to return everything and forget about it. I get an RMA replacement from Newegg once more. (this time including the CPU, just in case I thought)

January 21 - today. I receive the replacement, I am very eager. My father insists not to have any part with it. OK, no problem. I connect the CPU, 1gb of mem, and the graphics card. Awesome! it boots! (Well technically it waits for something to boot from) I then proceed to put everything in the case and connect the HDD etc...
Woo! Managed to boot into Fedora and install it! (As a temp OS, it was the closest CD to me).
After nearly a month of patiently waiting and staying calm I now have my awesome fast computer with the Intel i7 920. :)

Basically what I am saying is that try not to get frustrated at what you are doing. Even if you feel like punching someone in the face, calm down, have a beer or something. :p

jrusso2
January 22nd, 2009, 07:53 AM
Bent pins are bad mkay. Try not to bend them. Glad newegg would RMA it.

MaxIBoy
January 22nd, 2009, 07:55 AM
Bent pins are bad mkay. Try not to bend them.

Cannot agree enough.

Not my fault, though. I don't care what the box said, that cooler did NOT support AM2+!