PDA

View Full Version : what IDE are people using for C/C++ dev?

hellz99
January 21st, 2009, 10:43 PM
I'm primarily a java person, so I use eclipse daily, but I'm taking on a JNI project so I'll have portions of C (and maybe C++). any suggestions?

jimi_hendrix
January 21st, 2009, 10:44 PM
vim

dexter
January 21st, 2009, 10:57 PM
You can install eclipse-cdt, which enables eclipse compile c/c++ code.

hellz99
January 22nd, 2009, 02:44 AM
yea I was kinda expecting the various replies of vim, pico, emacs, etc.
But lets be serious.

Mr.Macdonald
January 22nd, 2009, 02:46 AM
If you take the time to learn emacs you will not be disappointed, very fast and powerful!

Wybiral
January 22nd, 2009, 02:50 AM
I'd go with the eclipse C/C++ plugin too, especially since you already use eclipse for Java.

Sorivenul
January 22nd, 2009, 03:33 AM
For your particular case, add another +1 for eclipse-cdt.

jmartrican
January 22nd, 2009, 03:39 AM
yea I was kinda expecting the various replies of vim, pico, emacs, etc.
But lets be serious.

What are you alluding to? Everyone I work with uses vim. Only one guy, and he is a java guy, uses an IDE. I do not know what they use in other parts of the company, but that's how it is in my group.

Joeb454
January 22nd, 2009, 03:42 AM
Given that the OP asked for IDE's and the fact that Vi(m) & Emacs et al are not IDE's, I don't see why they would be suggested :)

Anyway...

I've never used Eclipse, though I have to use Netbeans for some Java work at university, and I've noticed that can do C/C++ as well, so it may be worth a look. It's also cross-platform :)

matthew.ball
January 22nd, 2009, 04:11 AM
The programming FAQ stickied mentions some IDEs for use with Ubuntu.

Personally, I think a Terminal with nano is all you need, but that's just my preference (keep it simple!).

One of the text-editors (IDEs?), recommended by the programming FAQ is Geany (http://www.geany.org/).

I have only briefly used it, but it seems quite powerful.

jmartrican
January 22nd, 2009, 04:25 AM
Given that the OP asked for IDE's and the fact that Vi(m) & Emacs et al are not IDE's, I don't see why they would be suggested

Point taken.

Is there a link to this nano (IDE, editor?) that was mentioned. I'd like to use an IDE but I am a terminal dude and I didn't know my options and was too lazy to yahoo it.

jmartrican
January 22nd, 2009, 04:28 AM
Is there a link to this nano (IDE, editor?) that was mentioned.

Nevermind, i found it. Didnt realize it was already installed.

But I still would like any suggestions for a terminal based IDE for c++.

matthew.ball
January 22nd, 2009, 04:37 AM
I think there is some C++ IDE for KDE, kdevelop or something, maybe qtdevelop - I'm not sure.

There is the previously mentioned "Geany", which (much like Kate for KDE), supports an "in-built" shell, so you can easily run commands while editing your documents. (It's probably also possible to set-up Geany to use gcc, ghc etc. as a compiler, though I haven't done much searching regarding this).

If you want a very lightweight text-editor, there is also Scribe (or Scribes?).

There's more here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1006662

You could download glade and design your GUIs with that and then just link your programs to your designed GUI.

Sorivenul
January 22nd, 2009, 05:05 AM
If you want a console-based IDE for C/C++ there is "motor (http://konst.org.ua/motor/)". It isn't in the repositories, but you can just compile from source. You'll have to scroll down to find the package download links. The source (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/motor) is also available on Launchpad for Ubuntu.

DocForbin
January 22nd, 2009, 05:33 AM
You might try netbeans. Not sure how good the C/C++ support is, but it's there, and netbeans 6.5 is pretty friggin slick.

slavik
January 22nd, 2009, 05:51 AM
I use Geany for single file stuff, for bigger (actual projects) I use Anjuta.

AZzKikR
January 22nd, 2009, 02:05 PM
Eclipse CDT does the job very well for me. You're already used to Java, so Eclipse may be familiar to you.

monkeyking
January 23rd, 2009, 01:03 AM
I use emacs with speedbar and gud.
It't quite nice, I can code quite fast with this setup.

It looks like shiite though

jimi_hendrix
January 23rd, 2009, 01:07 AM
But lets be serious.

i am serious...

jimi_hendrix
January 23rd, 2009, 01:09 AM
Given that the OP asked for IDE's and the fact that Vi(m) & Emacs et al are not IDE's, I don't see why they would be suggested :)

sorry for the double post but....

that depends on ones opinion...i have seen many features including intellisense like code completion in vim...

JMJ_coder
January 23rd, 2009, 01:15 AM
It depends on what you want to develop. For large GUI applications, I can see some benefits for using an IDE -- especially one that offers RAD features.

But, for me, I do all of my C/C++ development at the console: (n)vi, pcc, gdb, cvs, etc.