PDA

View Full Version : Was the admin right?

phantomjoker
January 21st, 2009, 06:02 PM
Hello people

Ok, so i log into my lovely ubuntu account to find i have a message, 'how nice', until i find out the message is from an administrator telling me to delete my signature because it violates the COC (code of conduct) - now for those of you who don't know what my signature was (so 99% of you) it used to read

The official smile
:)
Phantom Joker

See something you like? why not say thanks... show some love

Now to me - there's nothing wrong with that - but apparently it looks like i'm trying to get extra thanks - which is not true, i simply want to promote the general use of the thanks, as not enough people do thank - and i find it exceedingly useful to just scroll down a long list of posts, to find the post which has been thanked and read a solution.

So maybe i'm wrong and it looks like i'm trying to get more thanks - and in hindsight it can be read like that. But i just wanted to know other peoples take on the whole thing. Seeming i have had the signature since i got the account and never had a problem - even when admins have replied to my posts, and warned me for other minor offenses.

Anyway, knowing my luck i have violated the COC by discussing a choice made by an admin - but we'll see - I have read them and don't seem to be breaking any rules.

(oh and by the way - i'm not having a rant at the guy who made the decision - just to be clear, just commenting)

What's your views?

Simian Man
January 21st, 2009, 06:06 PM
*All* signatures are annoying but yours seems pretty benign.

phantomjoker
January 21st, 2009, 06:10 PM
did you mean begging?

notwen
January 21st, 2009, 06:13 PM
did you mean begging?
here ya go. =]

benign

1: of a gentle disposition : gracious <a benign teacher>

2 a: showing kindness and gentleness <benign faces> b: favorable , wholesome <a benign climate>

3 a: of a mild type or character that does not threaten health or life ; especially : not becoming cancerous <a benign lung tumor> b: having no significant effect : harmless <environmentally benign>

Therion
January 21st, 2009, 06:15 PM
did you mean begging?
Benign, as in "harmless".

chucky chuckaluck
January 21st, 2009, 06:15 PM
it's pretty harmless, except for the face it caused me to make.

stopie
January 21st, 2009, 06:18 PM
Webster Thesaurus:
Benign = Harmless

I can see how the old sig can be read in the 'inappropriate' way - but imo I think it was fine; I also agree that thanks needs to be given...just as you said, show some love.

All that aside...admins are always 'right' ;)

phantomjoker
January 21st, 2009, 06:22 PM
well yes - the title is wrong really - but i see what you mean. And chucky - i would love to see that face!

Also - thanks for the simplification of wording... i realise what the word is now - find it hard to turn letters into sounds so it sounded like ben-ign to me... not benign!

OrangeCrate
January 21st, 2009, 06:23 PM
Hello people

Ok, so i log into my lovely ubuntu account to find i have a message, 'how nice', until i find out the message is from an administrator telling me to delete my signature because it violates the COC (code of conduct) - now for those of you who don't know what my signature was (so 99% of you) it used to read

Now to me - there's nothing wrong with that - but apparently it looks like i'm trying to get extra thanks - which is not true, i simply want to promote the general use of the thanks, as not enough people do thank - and i find it exceedingly useful to just scroll down a long list of posts, to find the post which has been thanked and read a solution.

So maybe i'm wrong and it looks like i'm trying to get more thanks - and in hindsight it can be read like that. But i just wanted to know other peoples take on the whole thing. Seeming i have had the signature since i got the account and never had a problem - even when admins have replied to my posts, and warned me for other minor offenses.

Anyway, knowing my luck i have violated the COC by discussing a choice made by an admin - but we'll see - I have read them and don't seem to be breaking any rules.

(oh and by the way - i'm not having a rant at the guy who made the decision - just to be clear, just commenting)

What's your views?

Just a WAG, but you probably won't like what may happen next...

;)

Islington
January 21st, 2009, 06:24 PM
it's pretty harmless, except for the face it caused me to make.

Is it the one where ones palm automagically encloses ones face? Because that is what happened over here.

namegame
January 21st, 2009, 06:27 PM
You'd probably be better disputing this in the Resolution center. You may get the decision overturned.

Link to the Resolution center:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123

Rocket2DMn
January 21st, 2009, 06:29 PM
Closed thread, please take your complaint to the Resolution Center as stated above, and an admin will review it. Thank you.