PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome 2.24.3

EmyrB
January 21st, 2009, 12:19 PM
Hi All,

Back in December of last year I asked when Gnome 2.24.2 would be available in Ubuntu 8.10. No one answered that post and lo and behold Gnome 2.24.3 is now out and many of the popular distro's have these updated packages in their repositories.

So again I ask when is Ubuntu 8.10 going to get Gnome 2.24.3?

gettinoriginal
January 21st, 2009, 09:01 PM
Well, I did a search and came up dry, the only mention is of 2.24.3 is a totem update. But it is also just a temp for fixing certain bugs (may not apply to Ubuntu ??) Also, GNOME 2.26 will be released in March, so they may just be waiting for that.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njk5Ng

rsambuca
January 21st, 2009, 09:22 PM
Hi All,

Back in December of last year I asked when Gnome 2.24.2 would be available in Ubuntu 8.10. No one answered that post and lo and behold Gnome 2.24.3 is now out and many of the popular distro's have these updated packages in their repositories.

So again I ask when is Ubuntu 8.10 going to get Gnome 2.24.3?

You'll get it when it is ready. 2.24-2 was accepted in the Debian tree on Jan 4th I believe. I have no idea how long it takes to get tested in Ubuntu and then released. These things take time. If you require immediate upgrading of all your packages, especially things as important and complex as your Desktop Environment, then perhaps a rolling release distro might be more suited to your style.

EmyrB
January 23rd, 2009, 03:34 PM
If you require immediate upgrading of all your packages, especially things as important and complex as your Desktop Environment, then perhaps a rolling release distro might be more suited to your style.

So Ubuntu is that dependent on Debian?! Surely not!

I seem to remember that in previous Ubuntu releases, Gnome's point releases went to the masses within weeks of them being officially released with no waiting for Debian approval.

The thing is that gets my goat with your attitude is that you have assumed that I, a lowly end user, am asking for new gadgets and toys, when actually what I want is the point releases to be available in the repo's so that for us lowly end users who use their Ubuntu based PCs for their everyday computing, to be able to solve some bugs that are present in those "important and complex" Desktop Environments.

So for me and many like me who have issues with parts of Gnome where according to the official release notes, the point releases have addressed, can get a better user experience. But hey us lowly end users will just have to wait, or better, try a rolling release distro like Arch, eh!

Naughty end users ;)

XanTrax
January 23rd, 2009, 06:20 PM
Isnt 2.24.3 going to be in Guanty?

EmyrB
January 23rd, 2009, 08:38 PM
Isnt 2.24.3 going to be in Guanty?

No, Jaunty is currently using gnome development tagged as Gnome 2.25.x. Jaunty will have Gnome 2.26 :D

rsambuca
January 24th, 2009, 03:02 AM
So Ubuntu is that dependent on Debian?! Surely not!

I seem to remember that in previous Ubuntu releases, Gnome's point releases went to the masses within weeks of them being officially released with no waiting for Debian approval.

The thing is that gets my goat with your attitude is that you have assumed that I, a lowly end user, am asking for new gadgets and toys, when actually what I want is the point releases to be available in the repo's so that for us lowly end users who use their Ubuntu based PCs for their everyday computing, to be able to solve some bugs that are present in those "important and complex" Desktop Environments.

So for me and many like me who have issues with parts of Gnome where according to the official release notes, the point releases have addressed, can get a better user experience. But hey us lowly end users will just have to wait, or better, try a rolling release distro like Arch, eh!

Naughty end users ;)
You can always join the Ubuntu developers' mailing list for the latest info.
There is also nothing stopping you from compiling from the source code (http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/) either.

But honestly, I think the latest gnome was released on the 12th. Give the dev's some time to add their patches and test the packages. Sheesh.

XanTrax
January 24th, 2009, 03:13 PM
No, Jaunty is currently using gnome development tagged as Gnome 2.25.x. Jaunty will have Gnome 2.26 :D

Even better :p

EmyrB
January 25th, 2009, 07:33 PM
But honestly, I think the latest gnome was released on the 12th. Give the dev's some time to add their patches and test the packages. Sheesh.

So what kept the devs from releasing 2.24.2 then?

Honestly, I just want some bugs fixed so I can have a pain free computing experience. But if I was a non technical user, do you think it would be advisable to suggest to them to compile from source?

I appologise for sounding off, but I have been using Ubuntu as my only OS for over 3 years and the devs have never failed to release a Gnome point release previously. I guess they are all to busy working on the gems that we shall be using in Jaunty ;) or maybe, the focus is on KDE 4?