PDA

View Full Version : favorite hendrix riff?

wolfen69
January 21st, 2009, 08:18 AM
mine is "machine gun". no doubt. wow every time. :guitar:

MaxIBoy
January 21st, 2009, 08:34 AM
Stepping Stone. Nothing can top it. I have to listen to that song every day, otherwise I melt.

But this comes close:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVfjia5Oars

wolfen69
January 21st, 2009, 08:35 AM
Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
As she slams the door in his drunken face
And now he stands outside
And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
And his tears fall and burn the garden green

And so castles made of sand fall in the sea, eventually

A little indian brave who before he was ten,
Played wargames in the woods with his indian friends
And he built up a dream that when he grew up
He would be a fearless warrior indian cheif
Many moons past and more the dream grew strong until
Tomorrow he would sing his first warsong and fight his first battle
But something went wrong, surprise attack killed him in his sleep that night

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually

There was a young girl, whos heart was a frown
cause she was crippled for life,
And she couldnt speak a sound
And she wished and prayed she could stop living,
So she decided to die
She drew her wheelchair to the edge of the shore
And to her legs she smiled you wont hurt me no more
But then a sight shed never seen made her jump and say
Look a golden winged ship is passing my way

And it really didnt have to stop, it just kept on going...

And so castles made of sand slips into the sea, eventually

MaxIBoy
January 21st, 2009, 08:37 AM
Yeah, his guitar slung across his back
His dusty boots is his cadillac
Flamin hair just a blowin in the wind
Aint seen a bed in so long its a sin
He left home when he was seventeen
The rest of the world he had longed to see
But everybody knows the boss
A rolling stone who gathers no moss

But youd probably call him a tramp
But it goes a little deeper than that
Hes a highway chile, yeah

Now some people say he had a girl back home
Who messed around and did him pretty wrong
They tell me it kinda hurt him bad
Kinda made him feel pretty sad
I couldnt say what went through his mind
Anyway, he left the world behind
But everybody knows the same old story,
In love and war you cant lose in glory

Now youd probably call him a tramp
But I know it goes a little deeper than that
Hes a highway chile

Walk on brother, yeah
One more brother

His old guitar slung across his back
His dusty boots is his cadillac
Flamin hair just a blowin in the wind
Aint seen a bed in so long its a sin

Now you may call him a tramp
But I know it goes a little deeper than that
Hes a highway chile

Walk on brother
Dont let no one stop you
Highway chile
Yeah yeah yeah
Highway chile
Go on down the highway
Highway chile
Yeah yeah yeah
Highway chile

wolfen69
January 21st, 2009, 08:39 AM
there is no wrong answer. it's all you.

graabein
January 21st, 2009, 11:39 AM
There's so many great ones. I like Highway Chile. :D

treesurf
January 21st, 2009, 12:28 PM

Machine Gun is incredible. So is just about everything else Jimi did...

This thread rocks!:guitar:

Another song from the same era as Machine Gun: Power of Soul
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjRdKxYYv44

Chame_Wizard
January 21st, 2009, 12:40 PM
All along the watchtower :lolflag::razz:

Bölvağur
January 21st, 2009, 12:55 PM
What riff are you guys talking about?

Can some one tell me when that great riff begins in Machine Gun or Stepping Stone? Im not really a mind reader even though I claim to be able to browse the web with my mind... ohhh and also playing games.. you really should try playing Warsow without mouse and keyboard.. real freedom.

handy
January 21st, 2009, 01:18 PM
I used to live on a farm by a large river which used to have speed boats on summer weekends & major holidays. You would also occasionally get houseboats up our way too.

Anyway, what they generally were unaware of, was how well sound travels at night over water. I could hear the people's conversations on their houseboats 300 meters or more away, better than the person standing next to them (or so it seemed at the time). So once it got late, & they got louder (alcohol) I'd get out of bed, open the the two big sliding doors from the lounge room out onto the veranda, (which faced the river) & put the LP side of the Electric Ladyland double LP, on, that played Crosstown Traffic, followed by Voodoo Child (Slight Return).

Every time I did that over a period 4 years or so, there was silence on the river when the stylus lifted. :-)

Crosstown Traffic

You jump in front of my car when you,
You know all the time that
Ninty miles an hour, girl, is the speed I drive
You tell me its alright, you dont mind a little pain
You say you just want me to take you for a ride

Youre just like crosstown traffic
So hard to get through to you
Crosstown traffic
I dont need to run over you
Crosstown traffic
All you do is slow me down
And Im tryin to get on the other side of town

Im not the only soul whos accused of hit and run
Tire tracks all across your back
I can see you had your fun
But darlin cant you see my signals turn from green to red
And with you I can see a traffic jam straight up ahead

Youre just like crosstown traffic
So hard to get through to you
Crosstown traffic
I dont need to run over you
Crosstown traffic
All you do is slow me down
And I got better things on the other side of town

Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

Well, i stand up next to a mountain
And i chop it down with the edge of my hand

Yeah

Well, i stand up next to a mountain
And i chop it down with the edge of my hand
Well, i pick up all the pieces and make an island
Might even raise a little sand

Yeah

'Cause i'm a voodoo child
Lord knows i'm a voodoo child baby
I want to say one more last thing
I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
I'll give it right back to ya one of these days

Hahaha

I said i didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
I'll give it right back one of these days

Oh yeah

If i don't meet you no more in this world then uh
I'll meet ya on the next one
And don't be late
Don't be late

'Cause i'm a voodoo child voodoo child
Lord knows i'm a voodoo child

Hey hey hey

I'm a voodoo child baby
I don't take no for an answer

Question no
Yeah

These lyrics badly need the music, they certainly aren't Jimi's best lyrics, but boy they are powerful pieces to listen to. :-D

chucky chuckaluck
January 21st, 2009, 01:36 PM

one of my favorites, but i think of it as more of a buddy miles riff. 'purple haze' or 'crosstown traffic' come to mind. i like them all.

Bölvağur
January 21st, 2009, 01:39 PM
Just to force my self to pick one riff I'd pick Hey Joe 0:04 (right after the intro when he begins singing). It is very nice how he changes it around throughout the song.

Changturkey
January 21st, 2009, 01:41 PM
Voodoo Child and Crosstown Traffic.

notwen
January 21st, 2009, 02:31 PM
If I had to pick a single Hendrix riff it would have to be allll of "If 6 Was 9". The variety throughout all of this track is fantastic. That said, I really enjoy all of his work. =]

andrek
January 21st, 2009, 04:26 PM
Intro of Voodoo Child, definitely.

SomeGuyDude
January 21st, 2009, 04:29 PM
Purple Haze. It's not amazingly technical or anything, but it's like Smoke on the Water, just a great damn riff.

vmatherly
January 21st, 2009, 04:31 PM
Any part of Red House \\:D/

crimesaucer
January 21st, 2009, 07:02 PM
My favorite Hendrix rifs are the unedited guitar solos from his New Years Eve show on 12-31-69 at the Fillmore East.

..... the original bootlegs from his New Years performance go off for like a 20 minute+ guitar solo that is some of best guitar I've ever heard.

The link that MaxIBoy posted has a few parts that Jimi uses in that 20 minute solo..... like the parts at 4:25 - 4:30 and, 2:55 - 3:12.... Jimi plays in that musical realm for like 20 minutes after the New Years Eve "Aud Lang Syne" song..... and he just free jams it......

WatchingThePain
January 21st, 2009, 07:20 PM
'Hear my Train a'comin' .

namegame
January 21st, 2009, 08:05 PM
All Along The Watchtower :P

gnomeuser
January 21st, 2009, 08:34 PM
Opening riff from the best Hendrix.. nay the best song ever. Little Wing.

It tugs in all the right places every damn time.

WatchingThePain
January 21st, 2009, 09:01 PM
Black Sabbath had the riffs.

Sofa_King_Cool79
January 21st, 2009, 09:20 PM
Axis bold as love and Machine Gun!!

WatchingThePain
January 21st, 2009, 09:25 PM
Are you experienced...I am, let me prove it to you

archolman
January 21st, 2009, 09:33 PM
Crosstown Traffic, er, no, Voodoo Chile, er, no, Are You Experienced, errrrrrr no no stop, don't make me choose.!

My fave pub-sign is The Kings Head, at the Railway Station, Huddersfield.
It's a head & shoulders of Jimi...:D

WatchingThePain
January 21st, 2009, 09:33 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=J-IFc1wZlmU see what you think of this , I reckon he was making a theme tune for Ubuntu

MaxIBoy
January 21st, 2009, 09:59 PM
'Hear my Train a'comin' .

Forgot about that one. That's a good one.

Stepping Stone and Killing Floor are still my favorite Hendrix songs. Little Wing, Angel, and The Burning of the Midnight Lamp had the best lyrics.

However, after many potentially dangerous trains of thought, I've decided that Spanish Castle Magic has the most catchy riff of all time.

getaboat
January 21st, 2009, 10:16 PM
Favourite 3 tracks of all time...:

Complete Control - Clash
Voodoo Chile - Jimi Hendrix
Hearbreak Hotel - Elvis

MaxIBoy
January 21st, 2009, 10:28 PM
Man, I'm already second-guessing myself. I'd completely forgotten about Freedom...

I should just quit trying to narrow this stuff down.

chucky chuckaluck
January 21st, 2009, 10:49 PM
i realize this is way OT, but i still can't believe how much isn't said about hendrix as a vocalist (it's his own damn fault, really... all that distracting guitar stuff). 'angel' is probably my favorite song for his singing.

cmay
January 21st, 2009, 10:57 PM
the greatest hendrix riff. hmmm. gotta be
wauw wauwwauw waw ,wauauw wawwaw. clunck. or something like that. :)
i used to listen to jimi alot when i was sixteen. i did also listen to deep purple and led zeppelin and i completly forgot all the songs as i had becouse i had them on regular tape and never had money to get them on cd. but if i listen to jimi the live live versions on his songs and the most bluesy stuff is the best. there was a album out called blues. that one i really liked. i also like to watch his concert video recordings. i once saw him do a cover of johnny be good. that was cool. it would be the best jimi recording i have have seen.

wolfen69
January 21st, 2009, 11:20 PM
videos:
Johnny B. Goode (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1OYKo3bbLg&feature=related)
Machine Gun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqVjw8cFdas) The Masterpiece

Kingsley
January 21st, 2009, 11:26 PM
Pali Gap - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgIaLL-iP0Y
Tax Free - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCvjMUo5K4A

koenn
January 22nd, 2009, 01:20 AM
Gypsy eyes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11xRS_PCgag

oldsoundguy
January 22nd, 2009, 01:33 AM
Put almost anything Jimi did in the studio on HEADPHONES. THEN you will really discover Hendrix. When he pulls a single NOTE through your head (Jimi did his own, or sat in on his, mix downs .. did not leave it in the hands of the engineer alone) ..... But there were times live when he just did NOT have it, and he knew it. (Especially with Band of Gypsies!)
And the bathroom at Electric Lady Land ALWAYS needed cleaning!!

Tamlynmac
January 22nd, 2009, 05:48 AM
How many responding have actually seen Jimi and/or JJ live in concert?

One of the greatest experiences in my life (giving away my age). Jimi's music was incredible and he had the ability to literally stop a crowd. One really must wonder how he would sound today with all the improved audio. JJ sang directly from her soul and had the same impact on a crowd.

No one song (IMHO) could be labeled "His Best". His music was unique and many of us that lived during that era will always remember them both - for the great artists they were.

jrusso2
January 22nd, 2009, 07:36 AM
How many responding have actually seen Jimi and/or JJ live in concert?

One of the greatest experiences in my life (giving away my age). Jimi's music was incredible and he had the ability to literally stop a crowd. One really must wonder how he would sound today with all the improved audio. JJ sang directly from her soul and had the same impact on a crowd.

No one song (IMHO) could be labeled "His Best". His music was unique and many of us that lived during that era will always remember them both - for the great artists they were.

I saw Jimi Hendrix in concert. He opened for the Monkees if you can believe that mismatch of fans.

wolfen69
January 22nd, 2009, 07:45 AM
He opened for the Monkees if you can believe that mismatch of fans.

i like the monkees! i used to love the tv show when i was a kid.

jrusso2
January 22nd, 2009, 07:56 AM
i like the monkees! i used to love the tv show when i was a kid.

Yea but the Monkees fans were like 12 years old, and the Hendrix fans were 16 and up and high and drunk as heck.

Later I heard the Monkees really liked Hendrix thats why they asked him to open for them.

floatingpoint
January 22nd, 2009, 10:34 AM
Castles Made Of Sand is the one that first comes to mind. But there are too many to choose.

cmay
January 22nd, 2009, 02:55 PM
videos:
Johnny B. Goode (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1OYKo3bbLg&feature=related)
Machine Gun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqVjw8cFdas) The Masterpiece

thanks. you just made my day a very happy day :)

Tamlynmac
January 22nd, 2009, 08:38 PM
I saw him at the Monterey Pop in June 67. JJ, the mamas & the papas, country joe & the fish, the dead, the who, etc were all there.

Jimi set his guitar on fire and everyone cheered. I remember - (hard to remember as I may have participated in some activity we won't discuss here) him jumping up and down on his smoking guitar and then he smashed it all over the stage.It was "far out" (sorry) and we stayed for the whole concert, sleeping in our cars. I believe it was three days. Many people will never understand that time - as for me, well lets just say as a 17 year old sufer kid, life couldn't have been any better. As I grew older and responsibility crept into my life, I would often remember those times and the experiences. It helped guide my life and taught me that it doesn't all relate to money.

If I recall correctly all the artists that played that concert, did so for free. Their only expense was travel & lodging.

What a wonderful time to have been alive.

oldsoundguy
January 22nd, 2009, 09:12 PM
Yea, that was a blow your mind occasion!! (I was living in Monterey when it happened.)

I have the poster that was on the tent flap that was the office .. it was across the street from the venue. Phillips gave it to me. a tad dog eared after all these years, but it is framed and on the wall!

Later on I worked for another Michael Jefferies managed band. (that opened for Jimi MANY times and used E.L.L. for their recording!)

I-75
January 23rd, 2009, 01:04 AM
All along the watchtower, the instrumental break in the middle of the song. That is a all time classic.

GrouchoMarx
January 23rd, 2009, 06:37 AM
The opening of Hey Joe. Historic Riff. Also the guitar solo is sublime. And then there's that iconic walking bassline.

(However, he didn't write the song.)

aysiu
January 23rd, 2009, 06:43 AM
Any part of Red House \\:D/
I agree.

My favorite Hendrix riff is right after he says "That's all right. I've still got my guitar. Look out now..." in that song.

wolfen69
January 23rd, 2009, 07:13 AM
Yea, that was a blow your mind occasion!! (I was living in Monterey when it happened.)

I have the poster that was on the tent flap that was the office .. it was across the street from the venue. Phillips gave it to me. a tad dog eared after all these years, but it is framed and on the wall!

Later on I worked for another Michael Jefferies managed band. (that opened for Jimi MANY times and used E.L.L. for their recording!)

wish i could have "partaken" in that scene, but i was a tad too young. but i do remember hanging with the hippie kids up the road.

the beginning of castles made of sand still gives me chills.

Firestem4
January 23rd, 2009, 09:01 AM
All along the watchtower :lolflag::razz:

I like Bob Dylans original more.

I'm not a real big hendrix fan (dont bother grabbing your torches and pitchforks) But I really do like The Train Kept a Rollin'

vikramaditya
January 23rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
I saw JH way back in '68, at the Alan B. Shepard Civic Center in Virginia Beach, VA. I was 17 at the time and just beginning my own 22-year musical career. The civic center was a dome with horrible acoustics, but we were in the 5th row and got a lethal earful. I'll never forget how the opening act, "Soft Machine", blasted a single tune called "We Did It Again" forever. When Jimi finally came on, we were well & truly ready to "be experienced". I kept the ticket stubs from 2 concerts I attended that year. Here they are . . .

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/Ginchiest/JH_TW_stubs.jpg

Tamlynmac
January 23rd, 2009, 09:36 PM
vikramaditya

$4.50 whoa. Back in 68 that was expensive, when considering that would buy >16 gallons worth of gas.LOL In Monterey I believe we paid $3.50 for entry tickets and if I remember correctly they maxed at $6.50 (could be wrong about the higher price). We were poor kids from Orange County and were lucky to afford the $3.50. Wished I'd saved my ticket, but at the time that was the last thing on my mind.

We often frequented the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach where artists would show locally. Including Jimi, Janis, Jefferson Airplane, The Doors and many others. We surfed Huntington religiously and would always stop to see who was coming - on the listing outside the door. For <$5.00 you could almost reach out and touch them.

wolfen69
January 23rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
I saw JH way back in '68, at the Alan B. Shepard Civic Center in Virginia Beach, VA. I was 17 at the time and just beginning my own 22-year musical career. The civic center was a dome with horrible acoustics, but we were in the 5th row and got a lethal earful. I'll never forget how the opening act, "Soft Machine", blasted a single tune called "We Did It Again" forever. When Jimi finally came on, we were well & truly ready to "be experienced". I kept the ticket stubs from 2 concerts I attended that year. Here they are . . .

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/Ginchiest/JH_TW_stubs.jpg
the troggs & the who started at 10:30 PM? wow. those were the days.

vikramaditya
January 24th, 2009, 06:56 AM
$4.50 whoa. Back in 68 that was expensive, when considering that would buy >16 gallons worth of gas.LOL
lol...yeah, I recall my junkheap-owning pals always demanding gas money from us proto-hippie slackers.

wolfen69
January 24th, 2009, 07:01 AM
*ss, gas, or gr*ss. :mrgreen:

vikramaditya
January 24th, 2009, 07:06 AM
the troggs & the who started at 10:30 PM? wow. those were the days.
Yes, and a crummy show 'twas. The Troggs "riffed" on "Wild Thing" for at least 30 minutes. The Who were just plain sloppy, Keith Moon's sense of meter being akin to that of a 4-year-old chimpanzee.

I never did answer the original topic of this post. My fave Hendrix riff has to be the backwards guitar solo in "Are You Experienced"...Ah, let me prove it to ya...

WatchingThePain
January 24th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Have we had 'Stonefree' yet ?

jimi_hendrix
January 24th, 2009, 02:29 PM
thanks...you guys rock!

jimi_hendrix
January 24th, 2009, 02:43 PM
did we forget the star spangled banner?

WatchingThePain
January 24th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Now your gettin it..Bold as Love and One rainy wish.

steveneddy
January 24th, 2009, 03:14 PM
The one that goes:

deern deern deern deee, dah dee dee dah

deeeern, deeern dweee dwat de poo da dat de diddle de dwoo

That's my favorite one.

cmay
January 24th, 2009, 03:19 PM
The one that goes:

That's my favorite one.
mine too :)
i just think it sounds more like wauw wauw wuaw ,wauwauw wuaw wawaw clunck ?
never mind its a great riff. it sticks in the head for a long time after listing to it.

WatchingThePain
January 24th, 2009, 04:06 PM
What soundcards are you using?

rudihawk
January 24th, 2009, 05:34 PM
all along the watchtower :p

+1

cmay
January 24th, 2009, 05:59 PM
What soundcards are you using?
i use an emu 1212m on my studio setup. the other computers just the built in soundcard. i also still use my ordinary stereo just as i always done. i use my computers trough a mixer sometimes and use my surround reciever which i only have two amps for.

WatchingThePain
January 24th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Yup, having a good setup is makes all the difference with quality music.

chucky chuckaluck
January 24th, 2009, 08:33 PM
The one that goes:

That's my favorite one.

are you sure that's not the banana splits' theme song?

WatchingThePain
January 24th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Hehe,
I heard that tune on Benny Hill.

plun
January 25th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Great Hendrix cover...... Gary Moore

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XXYjEMTQRm0&feature=related

:popcorn:

djsroknrol
January 25th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Being from N.Y., I had the honor of seeing Band of Gypsys at the Filmore East...so my favorite is "Who Knows" :popcorn:

steveneddy
January 25th, 2009, 03:47 AM
are you sure that's not the banana splits' theme song?

No - that's

Tra la la, la la la la, tra la la, la la la la

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2se2I70CJ0

Then I thought that I was thinking of Hong Kong Fooey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfeAqlYv2wQ&feature=related

Then I thought, Maybe Grape Ape?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz5ain_ihu8&feature=related

Then I remembered that it wasn't a Hendrix song at all.

Dude! Excuse me while I kiss this fly.

Harpie Queen
June 1st, 2009, 10:06 AM
Cross town traffic.