PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Streaming Media Server

f37u5g0d
January 21st, 2009, 04:39 AM
I have a large music collection on my server and I have a netbook that I want to stream the music too over my school's wireless LAN. I have tried simply using rhythmbox's DAAP sharing but for some reason it continually drops the share while I am listening to it. The share doesn't find it again until I restart rhythmbox. Is there a good streaming server that I can use to stream my music collection? They are all .ogg files and I would like to access them via a client app not a browser. I have heard about gnump3d and I wanted to try that because it can browse my folders but it isn't in the repos anymore? What gives? Thanks for any help!

mcduck
January 21st, 2009, 10:48 AM
You could try Edna: http://edna.sourceforge.net/

While the site only says it's MP3 streaming server that supports "certain other types of music and video files", OGG should be supported.

f37u5g0d
January 21st, 2009, 09:52 PM
I solved my own problem. Thanks for your help though! I firstly made my Music on my server a samba share accessible by guests (although not writeable by anybody). I then mounted it to a file on the filesystem of my client with smbmount //"server-ip"/"share" /"the directory on my client's filesystem" (without the quotes. Then I created an entry in my fstab for the samba share to be mounted everytime the computer is booted. Then i installed exaile music player from the repos and I told it that my collection is located in /"the directory on my client's filesystem" and viola! I am streaming :)