PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] where are my menus?

bakula22
January 21st, 2009, 04:36 AM
Probably a stupid question, but in the OpenOffice applications, none of the menus (file, edit, etc) are visible on the bar and there are no words in the menus? Makes it a little difficult to use any of it.

Also, sometimes in Firefox, the main bar at the top (with the firefox logo on the left end and the close, maximize, and minimize buttons on the right) gets partially covered up by a jagged white bar. How do I fix these problems?

I would post screenshots, but I don't know how :(

Ludachrispeed
January 21st, 2009, 06:52 AM
in the OpenOffice applications, none of the menus (file, edit, etc) are visible on the bar

Does anything come up if you press <Alt> ? That's a shortcut for the File menu.

in Firefox, the main bar at the top (with the firefox logo on the left end and the close, maximize, and minimize buttons on the right) gets partially covered up by a jagged white bar

That used to happen to me too... i fixed it by choosing a different desktop theme (System -> Preferences -> Appearance).

Sorry if none of this helps... I'm just as noobish as you are.

bakula22
January 21st, 2009, 08:25 PM
I'm sure there are super easy fixes to these kind of things, I'm just not familiar enough with ubuntu to do too much troubleshooting. Thanks for your help, I will try these things when I get home in a few hours.

bakula22
January 23rd, 2009, 08:15 AM
I tinkered a bit, and the magic bullet for both of these problems was to change my visual effects setting to none.