PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Rescuing USB drive

Clever_User_Name
January 21st, 2009, 03:56 AM
In a moment of sheer idiocy and desperation while trying to reformat a thumb drive, I went to "properties," opened the "drive" tab and typed "FAT16" in the "File system" space under "Settings." Now (obviously) I am unable to mount the drive. Is there any way to save it or should I just throw it out?

Edit: Also, running Ubuntu 8.10 if that's relevant

mc4man
January 21st, 2009, 04:22 AM
In a terminal go

gconf-editor

when it opens go system -> storage -> drives and you should see a listing for it. highlight and in box on right you should see the entry you made.
Right click on it -> 'edit key' and remove your entry completely (right click on the fs_override and choose Unset,
Make sure the entry is blank.

Clever_User_Name
January 21st, 2009, 04:41 AM
Thanks for the help. When I open gconf-editor there is no drives folder (See atachment). Dowloading gparted right now but I'd prefer not to have to wipe it.

mc4man
January 21st, 2009, 04:49 AM
Don't touch the one your showing, what's listed under the volumes tab? (in properties of any drive you can edit both 'drive' or 'volume'

Here, I just did what you say you did using volume, this is what your looking for

Clever_User_Name
January 21st, 2009, 04:55 AM
one folder, _org_freedesktop_Hal_devices_volume_uuid_0000_02F7 containing one file, fstype_override

mc4man
January 21st, 2009, 05:00 AM
right click on the fs_override and choose Unset, the complete entry should disappear, then plug your drive back in and see

Edit if everythig doesn't go away r. click and Unset again

Clever_User_Name
January 21st, 2009, 05:10 AM
Worked wonderfully. Thanks so much for saving me from my own idiocy.

mc4man
January 21st, 2009, 05:25 AM
Great, now you know pretty much nothing good can come from editing the properties of a volume or drive. (but can be fixed