PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] replacing crashed xp

wkuace
January 21st, 2009, 03:47 AM
hi i'm still pretty new to linux. i've played around with wubi on my laptop and enjoy it. I'm building a small cnc machine and i found emc2 a free cnc control program for 8.04. i've burned the live cd and i decided to use an old desktop i had laying around. It had xp installed but when it boots into xp it gets a blue screen of death and shuts down before it even shows a desktop so its getting hardy installed :) anyway my question is should i format the harddrive or just partition the hard drive and install? this is the first time i've ever installed an os before so i'm not sure

ps i'm pretty sure the hard drive is still good i was able to salvage a few files onto a usb drive while testing the live cd

thank you for your help :)

Tek-E
January 21st, 2009, 05:46 AM
If I were you I would just format the hard drive since windows xp in no longer of any use. If you just partition your hard drive and install ubuntu on the empty partition you wont be getting the full advantage of your harddrive. or are you wanting to dual boot.

wkuace
January 21st, 2009, 06:35 AM
i guess i'll just format it the xp install is completeley screwed up. all i see is the xp load screen the blue screen. it's just going to run my pcb mill anyway.

Thank you