PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] motherboard upgrade requires reinstall?

srhlefty
January 21st, 2009, 03:38 AM
I'm about to buy a new barebones system. That is, I'll be simply removing my current hard drive and plugging it into the new hardware. Will that require me to reinstall Ubuntu, or will everything be autodetected at first boot?

Will4
January 21st, 2009, 03:45 AM
I guess you might have to reinstall Ubuntu in order to have the OS recognize your hardware... things like sound cards doesn't work some times after those hardware upgrades.

maddentim
February 4th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I have the same question here.

Looking to move a Hardy server installed on hard drives in Dell Dimension 4100 P3 into a barebones that will have a Pentium Dual Core. I can't see it hurting anything to try...

If I have to fresh install it is not a biggie, but I am itching to have the new hardware going soon...

srhlefty
February 4th, 2009, 09:09 PM
My barebones swap completed successfully. There were no issues, and everything worked at first boot!

(Note that the graphics driver didn't have to change, because I moved the video card too)

NJC
February 4th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I've often wondered why Linux' portability is not raved about. But yes, a fantastic feature - since I'm often changing/upgrading hardware.

maddentim
February 9th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I am pleased to report that it went very smoothly. No major issues. The only minor issue that I hit was that the ethernet went from eth0 to eth1 and I had to tweak the firewall and a couple of other things to the change...

If it had been windows xp I am quite confident that I would have ended up on the phone with Redmond and if it had been an OEM version, I might not have been able to make the change at all...

loboc
February 9th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I just went from a p3 and 384 megs of ram to a p4 at a gig with new video sound and network cards with know issues after the swap going from hardy to intrepid was pain free too