PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Working dual monitor setup reverting to mirror after reboot.

Salmontarre
January 21st, 2009, 03:03 AM
Hello.

I installed Ubuntu 8.10 lately, and have run into a problem with using my two monitors.

I have an ATI X1650, and two identical monitors.

I have installed the latest ATI driver (8.12) and I can use the Catalyst tool to enable the second monitor to function as a doublewide desktop. It works fine, until I reset. When I do reset, everything seems fine, until I get past the login screen (at the login screen, I have login on the left monitor, and empty space I can move the cursor to on the right monitor, as it should be). Once I hit enter on my password, though, the screens switch back to mirror mode.

I have looked at xorg.conf before and after reset, and they remain the same, whether dualhead is working or not.

Is there some other file that is not being saved to correctly?

Here is what my xorg.conf looks like: http://paste.ubuntu.com/107558/

Thanks for any help!

Salmontarre
January 27th, 2009, 08:40 AM
bump

nvdm
March 4th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I'm also experiencing this problem, exactly as described above.

issih
March 4th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Not at all sure this will help, but I wonder if there is a need to run the catalyst config app as root, that was certainly the case with the nvidia application last time I used it.

Worth investigating perhaps.

nvdm
March 5th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Running the Catalyst control panel as root doesn't correct this behaviour.

seesser
March 13th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I two am having this problem I have to reset to duel every time I log in must be missing something.:(

noogs
March 22nd, 2009, 05:16 PM
I have this same exact problem and have googled with no success. Someone must know how to fix it. HELP!

noogs
March 22nd, 2009, 05:26 PM
Very simple fix for this actually. Go to "System>Preferences>Screen Resolution" while in the working dual monitor setup and simply click apply. This saves your current display settings and your good to go.

daboroe
March 22nd, 2009, 06:47 PM
same issue. i reboot and it goes back to mirror. not a huge thing but would like it to keep the settings. it says reboot to save settings. i do and it doesnt.

daboroe
March 26th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Very simple fix for this actually. Go to "System>Preferences>Screen Resolution" while in the working dual monitor setup and simply click apply. This saves your current display settings and your good to go.

I have done that and it still will not do that.

UPDATE: Screen Resolution has been removed or moved in Jaunty Alpha 6, just FYI

kOna
March 27th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I created a separate thread about this exact issue but I haven't received any replies on the matter.

Seems that quite a few of us have this problem now, it's a show stopper for me as I simply can't do without both monitors :( I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if this issue gets resolved but for now it's back to Vista I go!

robobart
August 21st, 2009, 07:21 PM
Similar problem- except instead of reverting to mirror - one monitor just shuts off.

I would like help.

Thanks!

robobart
August 24th, 2009, 04:27 PM
One thing I tried was to do:

$ sudo gnome-display-properties

and then click "Apply"

However, the settings could not be set because:

Method "ApplyConfiguration" with signature "" on interface "org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.XRANDR" doesn't exist

Thoughts?

Thanks!

robobart
August 27th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Got it working!

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2

helped quite a bit:

Dual Displays in Ubuntu 9.04, Dell E4300 Laptop - docked
(Intel driver)

1) Modify the Screen section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf to include the
lines:

SubSection "Display"
Virtual 2560 1024
EndSubSection

My complete Screen section looks like:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
SubSection "Display"
Virtual 2560 1024
EndSubSection
EndSection

2) Added the following file: /etc/X11/Xsession.d/85custom_xrandr-settings

-- begin file --
# If an external monitor is connected, place it with xrandr
# Use xrandr -q to determine choices for outputs
DEFAULT_OUTPUT="LVDS"
MAIN_OUTPUT="HDMI-1"
AUX_OUTPUT="VGA"
# AUX_LOCATION may be one of: left, right, above, or below
AUX_LOCATION="right"

case "$AUX_LOCATION" in
left|LEFT)
AUX_LOCATION="--left-of $MAIN_OUTPUT"
;;
right|RIGHT)
AUX_LOCATION="--right-of $MAIN_OUTPUT"
;;
top|TOP|above|ABOVE)
AUX_LOCATION="--above $MAIN_OUTPUT"
;;
bottom|BOTTOM|below|BELOW)
AUX_LOCATION="--below $MAIN_OUTPUT"
;;
*)
AUX_LOCATION="--left-of $MAIN_OUTPUT"
;;
esac

xrandr |grep $MAIN_OUTPUT | grep " connected "
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
xrandr --output $DEFAULT_OUTPUT --off --output $MAIN_OUTPUT --auto --output $AUX_OUTPUT --auto $AUX_LOCATION
else
xrandr --output $DEFAULT_OUTPUT --auto --output $MAIN_OUTPUT --off --output $AUX_OUTPUT --off
fi
-- end file --

3) Now for the voodoo, under

System => Startup Applications

I added the command:

xrandr --output VGA --auto --right-of HDMI-1

reboot and it works!

mzzpxt
October 19th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Has anyone looked into this for KDE? I too cannot turn off display mirror in KDE, but have no problem turning off mirror in Gnome. I do not have the nVidia utilities as a workaround because my video is Intel 855GME. Any ideas?

bpickel
October 19th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Same here with the nvidia driver. I only want to use my external monitor when docked but everytime I boot I have to open nvidia control panel and disable the laptop lcd. when I boot and it loads GDM it defaults to the laptop screen and I have to make the change after login, even with the laptops lid closed during boot. Just takes a few seconds to make the changes but it's wearing on me. So I am now in the club. Let's see how much breakage it takes to get to the center of this tootsie pop ! :mad:

YarDYar
November 8th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I also have the same problem as mzzpxt has.

NicNicNicNicNic
March 20th, 2013, 05:20 AM
I have done that and it still will not do that.

Make sure you check both screens. After you change your display settings, and click apply, there is a pop up window that appears to ask if you would like to keep the new settings, or revert to the old ones. You have to click again to keep the new settings. Ubuntu checks to make sure you want to keep your new settings after you apply them.

overdrank
March 20th, 2013, 10:35 AM
From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/misc.php?do=showrules).

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
Thread closed.