PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu - 2nd Drive Boot..????????

carbiznh
January 21st, 2009, 02:58 AM
Hello!

XP System

After a miserable time trying to install Ubuntu on my exisiting hard drive, I went and purchased a hard drive for total Ubuntu dedication...

ISSUE: Installed Ubuntu on 2nd Drive...that is hooked up via IDE cable as slave to CDROM master... Installation went good...rebooted computer...expected to see "please select operating system"...and nothing...I got thinking about it..of course there is nothing...My only options in Bios are to boot off of CDROM or my 1st HD...

PLEASE...WHAT do I do..!! ? I am anxiously waiting!

If it is a complicated answer..please explain...lol...I am a true..dedicated..newbie

taurus
January 21st, 2009, 03:15 AM
Is your first harddrive (that has windows on) an IDE drive also? If it is, why not set the jumper on the back to master and set the jumper on your new harddrive as slave and connect them to the same cable--ribbon?

carbiznh
January 21st, 2009, 03:53 AM
My primary HD is a SATA connection.....any ideas how I can fix my problem...??...Thanks

carbiznh
January 21st, 2009, 05:26 AM
okay..I figured out how to 'manually' make the system boot from 2nd hard drive using Bios settings. I have a new problem; an error message shows while loading Ubuntu... Gave up waiting for root device...any ideas?