PDA

View Full Version : Safe to apt-get upgrade?

nowhere@cox.net
January 21st, 2009, 12:32 AM
Hey all,

I installed mythbuntu for the first time end of last year coming from years of manual Fedora Core installs. I remember the agonizing pain of performing an update on the old FC systems. It almost always broke something and usually LIRC. This time around I rebuilt the system with separate front and back ends since a lot of my troubles were due to nvidia drivers and older cards.

What is your experiences doing sudo apt-get upgrade to keep the system up to date? Do you find it often or rarely breaks mythtv?

Also, how stable do the weekly build remain? Good for a production machine? I like to stay on top of the latest features but the thing HAS to keep running.

Thanks!

oldsoundguy
January 21st, 2009, 12:36 AM
running three 8,10 Intrepid desktops, one Linux Mint 8.04 version and one Mythbuntu with the 8.10 kernel. NARY a problem with any of them except for the NVidia drivers (a common Ubuntu problem) .. sometimes takes a re-install.

managementboy
January 21st, 2009, 02:21 PM
I just did this yesterday. Follow the Ubuntu upgrade manuals on their homepage and it should be easy. Nvidia drivers where a bitch, as 180.22 where not available as packages, so I had to do it from the CLI.