PDA

View Full Version : Canonical close to $30M self-sustaining mark... should Microsoft worry?

Grant A.
January 20th, 2009, 11:46 PM
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/20/1627243

Congratulations Canonical :)

Here's to a bright future!

handy
January 21st, 2009, 12:34 AM
Excellent news.

Noblacktie
January 21st, 2009, 01:05 AM
I didn't think they'd be able to pull it off, given that they weren't using the enterprise-support model like Red Hat and SUSE, so this is astounding news.

I guess you don't become a billionaire by throwing your money into doomed projects...

... unless you're big football fan, that is.

Sealbhach
January 21st, 2009, 02:22 AM
Good good.

With this new Windows worm and a little fanfare over Jaunty + Ubuntu shipping on hardware this should pull in enough users to go over into profit. Very nice.

Frak
January 21st, 2009, 03:20 AM
Good good.

With this new Windows worm and a little fanfare over Jaunty + Ubuntu shipping on hardware this should pull in enough users to go over into profit. Very nice.

Fanfare over Jaunty... Yes
Ubuntu shipping on hardware... Yes
Windows worm... Nope

Until a worm comes out that posts "SHOULD HAVE BEEN USING UBUNTU" on the screen, I doubt it'll have a big effect.

Bölvağur
January 21st, 2009, 03:36 AM
Until a worm comes out that posts "SHOULD HAVE BEEN USING UBUNTU" on the screen, I doubt it'll have a big effect.

lol that kind of worm might have very poor publicity. Look at ubuntu.. it's their fault your machine has gone bananas.

stopie
January 21st, 2009, 04:32 AM
Now we all need to purchase a fashionable piece of apparel from the store to bump them over the 30 mark.

Telling a MS user that ubuntu is in their best interest is like telling a poo-throwing monkey it should have used a rock...in the end, they still stick with ****...

phrostbyte
January 21st, 2009, 04:36 AM
This is good news! I have recently seen Microsoft shills spreading FUD about Canonical financials. I hope this axes their plans.

Grant A.
January 21st, 2009, 04:58 AM
This is good news! I have recently seen Microsoft shills spreading FUD about Canonical financials. I hope this axes their plans.

orly?

orly = valid English term in Firefox :O

ajcham
January 21st, 2009, 08:37 AM
orly = valid English term in Firefox :O
Why not? - it's on the map:

earthpigg
January 21st, 2009, 08:53 AM
wow, i honestly had no idea canon was anywhere near profitability.

all the big-name ubuntu users i'm aware of dont pay canon: wikipedia, google.... um... ok lol, what else?

chucky chuckaluck
January 21st, 2009, 01:39 PM
that's nice.

should microsoft worry? yes, about as much as nixon should have worried about getting beaten by mcgovern.